Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A look back as the Final day arrives

• 14-05-2004 7:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭

Well tomorrow is the last day of the season and the table is more or less decided with just my beloved Villa and Newcastle left to fight out 5th place.

So I thought now might a time to reflect on the season and have a look back at all those crazy predictions at the start of season.

So heres a few threads:
    Table Predictions:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=109119

Most improved outfit:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=105276

Predictions in March
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=145129

I predicted
    1st Arsenal
    2nd Man U
    3rd Chelsea
    4th Newcastle
    5th Liverpool
    6th Everton
    7th Villa

Apart from Everton I wasn't all that far off.

I don't think anyone could have predicted Arsenal doing so well.

Maybe i'm a little ahead of myself given tomorrow is the last day, but I'l either be off celebrating Villa getting 5th or if things go badly I'l be off celebrating them getting 6th lol :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

better season predictions here

I had
    1: Arsenal
    2: Chelsea
    3: Man Utd
    4: Charlton
    5: Newcastle
    6: Aston Villa
    7: Liverpool
    18: Wolves
    19: Leicester
    20: Leeds

Champions League;
    Winners: Arsenal

Uefa Cup;
    Winners: Celtic

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Originally posted by Johnny_the_fox
    Half season predictions more like :p

Ah, 2003/2004... from an Arsenal perspective, a very, very good season. After last season's late capitulation, predictions of Arsenal's demise last summer were rampant. Only one 'major' signing, while United, Chelsea and Liverpool had all seemingly strengthened their squads. Most people realised Arsenal were still good for a top 2/3 finish of course, although there were still those who thought they'd struggle for 4th or 5th.

Looking back at some of the more 'colourful' soccer board threads from earlier on in the season, Arsenal had a pretty stormy start. 3-0 defeat to Inter and 2-1 to Kiev in the CL left them all but out of the competition and the Man Utd fans gloating, while the 'Battle of Old Trafford' suggested they were a team with a very frail temperament and a very thin squad. Since then, bar one week last month, it's been good, very good :)

Funding was secured and construction started on Ashburton Grove. Toure, Clichy and a host of other young players in the Carling Cup have shown what they are capable of. Reyes arrived, Van Persie arriving. Arsenal's key players look happier than ever, and the meeja's punching bag/gossip-source role has been transferred to Manchester for the time being. The premiership title has returned to Highbury for the 2nd time in 3 seasons, and should they avoid defeat to Leicester tommorrow they'll set an unprecedented record (but i'll get back to that tommorrow if they do it). All in all, very good. The CL & FA cup disappointments are a distant memory now and the future looks bright. I said at the start of the season that with the players' desire for success and the financial burden of Ashburton Grove that Arsenal needed a very good season to keep things going, and they got one. Woot :)

On the 19 other aspects of the premiership :p, Fulham and Bolton seem to have been the biggest surprises, particularily Bolton. Villa have done very well also, as a lot of people (admittedly not me, iirc) predicted. Blackburn and Everton have gone the opposite direction, and it'll be interesting to see what happens to those five clubs next season. As for Leeds, oh deary me. Bad to worse.

Chelsea seem to have to met most people's expectations. Man Utd have been well below theirs after the phenomenal pace they set at the end of last season, and they definately have a storm to weather now. Liverpool have probably met most non-fan's expectations, but have been well below their own fan's expectations (surprise, surprise :o). Newcastle, very disappointing after last season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Well, in an end of season look back, I cannnot go without saying something about Arsenal. They have been superb all season in the Premier League, and if they don't lose on the last day, they will rightly be remembered for a long time, to go unbeaten in a season in pretty much unbelievable. After last season, and what happened to them, it is even more unbelievable.

Chelsea now. Well, I don't like how they have become what they have become, but one thing is for sure, they have breathed life into what seemed like a slowly dying transfer market. The treatment of Ranieiri has been shocking, but I believe he is not a good enough manager for a team like this. They players may love him, but his label of the "Tinkerman" is for not for nothing. Some of his decisions on team selection this season have been nothing short of ridiculous, his 84 year old mother would have seen that Gronkjaer should have been replaced in the game against Monaco.

Manchester United's turn. The whole Magnier and McManus fiasco has affected the team this season. Alex Ferguson was pre-occupied with this for part of the season when United are uaually at their strongest. Also the un-precedented length of Rio Ferdinand's ban has had an adverse affect on the season also, Before his departure from the team, United had the best defensive record in the League.

Now to Leeds. What a mess. The players didn't seem at all interested, apart from the odd one or two, like Alan Smith. The Leeds players deserved what they got this season.

I was very impressed with Portsmouth this season, but what is going on now is totally unreal. Why change an obviously winning formula?

While I kind of rooted for Wolves this season, they never really stood a chance of staying in the Premier League.

Leicester's off pitch problems were unbelievable, and it probably affected team morale for the run in.

I'm not going to mention every team, but I have to say something about Liverpool. Get rid of Houllier, the team is going no where with him in charge, and the only reason they have 4th is because the other teams around them (apart from Villa) didn't seem to want it.

The Manchester City comeback against Spurs was good, and a good memory from the season. Also sticking out in my mind at this moment from this season, was the way Martin Keown jumped all over the back of Van Nistelrooy after the penalty miss at Old Trafford. And who could forget the Return of Roy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭the fnj

So many people predicted Fulham to go down, ye of little faith. Had we not lost Saha we would probably be well in the running for a Uefa Cup spot or maybe even Champions league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

I disagree with The Magnier and McManus fiasco disrupting Utd's season, Ranieri was undermined in the press from day one and was under so much pressure and he just got on with it.

• Advertisement

I didn't expect City to do so badly but you knew there was a bad sign when Keegan was aiming for 4th place. There won't be a huge amount of money in the summer, they'll sign players on frees or very low fees.
    Villa have suprised me O' Leary doing a David Moyes turning average players into good all round performances.
    I knew Everton would come down with a bump, expectations were so high.

I can't believe I thought Charlton would struggle, they are reminding me of Derby County under Jim Smith who finished in the top half for a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭Space Coyote

I predicted Chelsea to win the league, Arsenal to finish 4th...and Fulham to finish bottom. :p Rubbish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Originally posted by Johnny_the_fox

lol

That was in march.

When I said Villa would finish in the top 7 I thought I was pushing it but thank god I was right.

Last day of teh season was a little bit of anti-climax compared to that of other years.

Ah well O'Leary brought Villa from 16th to 6th in one season so its time to celebrate.

Oh and best of luck to the Lions next week, they'l need it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I think the final impression of this season will be of how
    the Premiership is a two part league - top 3 and the rest. Its incredible to think how many teams could have finnished fourth and how many could have been relegated, meanwhile the top 3 sailed away...

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Shaque attack

Originally posted by Shaque Attack
    Re: Predict the end of the season...
    1: Arsenal
    2: Chelsea
    3: Man Utd
    4: Liverpool
    5: Newcastle
    6: Charlton
    7: Birmingham

18: Leicester
    19: Leeds
    20: Wolves

Wasn't too far off with the exception of Villa, I didn't think O'Leary would be able to turn them around.
    Memories of the season.... As a liverpool fan i will hopefully remember this as houllier's last season. also this season marked the start of the decline of the current Man Utd regime and the fact that arsenal truly are a great team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

As a Liverpool fan I am just looking forward to the summer transfer out of the club, hopefully we will get rid of a few dead weights and make some valuable additions...

Hopefully then we can start next season with a decent squad that will be hungry to recover from 2 poor seasons...

Its been a poor season for everyone but Arsenal to be honest. Liverpool and Newcastle have been burdoned with injuries the whole season. so this will let GH and Bobby off the hook a bit. United have had an appalling season by their standards and Chelsea have gelled together far quicker than expected.

Season 03/04

1 Arsenal 38 90

2 Chelsea 38 79

3 Man Utd 38 75

4 Liverpool 38 60

5 Newcastle 38 56

6 Aston Villa 38 56

7 Charlton 38 53

8 Bolton 38 53

9 Fulham 38 52

10 Birmingham 38 50

11 Middlesbrough 38 48

12 Southampton 38 47

13 Portsmouth 38 45

14 Tottenham 38 45

15 Blackburn 38 44

16 Man City 38 41

17 Everton 38 39

18 Leicester 38 33

19 Leeds 38 33

20 Wolverhampton 38 33

Just looking at previous seasons tables, its been a dissappointing season:

Season 02/03

1 Man Utd 38 83

2 Arsenal 38 78

3 Newcastle 38 69

4 Chelsea 38 67

5 Liverpool 38 64

6 Blackburn 38 60

7 Everton 38 59

8 Southampton 38 52

9 Man City 38 51

10 Tottenham 38 50

11 Middlesbrough 38 49

12 Charlton 38 49

13 Birmingham 38 48

14 Fulham 38 48

15 Leeds 38 47

16 Aston Villa 38 45

17 Bolton 38 44

18 West Ham 38 42

19 West Brom 38 26

20 Sunderland 38 19

Season 01/02

1 Arsenal 38 87

2 Liverpool 38 80

3 Man Utd 38 77

4 Newcastle 38 71

5 Leeds 38 66

6 Chelsea 38 64

7 West Ham 38 53

8 Aston Villa 38 50

9 Tottenham 38 50

10 Blackburn 38 46

11 Southampton 38 45

12 Middlesbrough 38 45

13 Fulham 38 44

14 Charlton 38 44

15 Everton 38 43

16 Bolton 38 40

17 Sunderland 38 40

18 Ipswich 38 36

19 Derby 38 30

20 Leicester 38 28

Season 00/01

1 Man Utd 38 80

2 Arsenal 38 70

3 Liverpool 38 69

4 Leeds 38 68

5 Ipswich 38 66

6 Chelsea 38 61

7 Sunderland 38 57

8 Aston Villa 38 54

9 Charlton 38 52

10 Southampton 38 52

11 Newcastle 38 51

12 Tottenham 38 49

13 Leicester 38 48

14 Middlesbrough 38 42

15 West Ham 38 42

16 Everton 38 42

17 Derby 38 42

18 Man City 38 34

19 Coventry 38 34

20 Bradford 38 26

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭Space Coyote

Looking at those tables (thanx jesus_), it's unbelievable to think that technically, a team could have stayed up this season with 33 points (with a better g/d than the bottom 3). Also, Liverpool's miserable tally of 60 points would only have been good enough for 6th/7th, 7th and 7th in the 3 previous seasons ! Rubbish season all round, here's hoping that there's at least a fight for the title next season.

Advertisement