Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Campaign Posters

Options
  • 14-05-2004 7:56pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I have an extended version of this point in my blog (below), but basically, i feel that campaign posters should be banned, or at least limited to a set number per person (if they are already, then it should be cut back)

I feel that they are a waste of paper, an eyesore, a potential danger (blocking signs and being blown off in the wind etc), and most of all they add nothing to the debate. They are just stupid pictures with stupid sloans underneath. They claim they are working for Ireland, but they never explain how they are, or what they plan to do. Its as if politicians think we are so stupid that seeing a nice picture will make us vote for them, that we dont care what they say once they have a colourful poster up.

I dont know about anywhere else, but Dublin is covered in them, and it seems to get worse each election.

As I'm bored, I thought I'd satarise Proinseis De Rossa's poster campaign, this is exactly what I thought once I saw it, and felt it needed to be photoshopped...
    derossa2.jpg

Anyone else agree, or disagree? Does anyone think the posters are a good thing, or valuable?

Flogen

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

i agree! i agree!!!
    this has been driving my crazy.. every f*cking lampost is completely covered in the things. does anybody actually vote based on how many times they've seen someones face??

at the very least they should be limited to certain areas and banned from residential areas/places i'm going to see them or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Originally posted by passive
    i agree! i agree!!!
    this has been driving my crazy.. every f*cking lampost is completely covered in the things. does anybody actually vote based on how many times they've seen someones face??

at the very least they should be limited to certain areas and banned from residential areas/places i'm going to see them or something.

This has been debated before - several people have answered that Yes, they'd vote for whomever stuck out in their mind; a lot of the time from posters on the way into the ballot, especially after their first vote...
    I agree, restrict the posters to areas close to the ballot only.
    And,uh,I've yet to see "a nicer picture" of any politician this year... arguably,ever:)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Well I'm not voting Labour unless they get Ivana Bacik off the bloody lamp poles...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

I know that in the last general election - Fermoy Town Council banned election posters.

Cork does seem to be going in that direction already.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

reckless I am with you, I nearly crashed my car the other morning when I saw it, not something you want to see after just waking up.

I agree with some people here I think they should be banned from putting these posters up fullstop. So much for trying to be an environmentally friendly country with the amount of waste because of these posters, its disgusting (not to mention the mental anguise we have to suffer looking at these "people" trying to look honest!).

Also did people read the story in yesterdays Irish Times about the two guys caught with a bootload of Royston posters. It appears that they were paid by a "third party" to take our media shy Lord Mayors posters down. Should be interesting if they actually find out who was responsible eh ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

Well I'm not voting Labour unless they get Ivana Bacik off the bloody lamp poles...

So you wanna vote for the "best-looking chick"? How about Sore-shuh, then...?
    Do us all a favour and don't bother.
    Just stay at home. Rent a good DVD. Choke the chicken all night long...

Sheesh! Some of you young people don't deserve to vote...

(Grumpy ol') ph

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

ah, Royston 'I'm with it' Brady, his posters are so annoying... slogans like 'drive' (is that a command or a statement?' and 'energy' (as in 'I'm a waste of...'). Also his flyers which say 'giving Dublin a fresh start in Europe'... how??? and why do we need one???

They should all be banned right now, and the politicians be forced to eat the posters already put up, now thats recycling for ya

/edit, eh peckerhead, I dont think anyone here is saying they want to vote for the best looking, they are (and I am) just saying that the posters are an eyesore, one reason being Irish politicians are an ugly bunch. If they were all supermodels, it wouldnt be so bad to see everywhere, but it doesnt mean I'd vote for them (and the posters would still be useless, a waste of paper, and a potential danger)

Flogen

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Manchegan

Originally posted by flogen
    ah, Royston 'I'm with it' Brady, his posters are so annoying... slogans like 'drive' (is that a command or a statement?' and 'energy' (as in 'I'm a waste of...'). Also his flyers which say 'giving Dublin a fresh start in Europe'... how??? and why do we need one???

His name doesn't help his cause, either. I mean to say, am I the only one who thinks it's out of a nursery rhyme à la "Margery Dawe" or "Aiken Drum"?

Royston Brady went to mow,
    Went to mow a meadow...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭chewy

paid those guys to take down the posters
    i don't reckon its one his revials as such but somone who deosn't like roysten brady....

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Originally posted by peckerhead
    So you wanna vote for the "best-looking chick"? How about Sore-shuh, then...?
    Do us all a favour and don't bother.
    Just stay at home. Rent a good DVD. Choke the chicken all night long...

Sheesh! Some of you young people don't deserve to vote...

(Grumpy ol') ph

Sense of humour for table six please!

FFS, relax. It. Was. A. Pisstake.

I could have included Mary Lou "The Grimace" McDonald as well, and I saw a poster for Mary O'Donnell today...jaysus!!!

On a serious note, they are not only an eye-sore but a distraction. NOT a good idea considering the standard of Irish driving. The Labour Euro posters appear to be extra big, is it just me who thinks this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,414 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Dublin City Council put in place a Code of Practice with the parties saying they would remove all the posters (and the ties) for €300(?) per candidate and recycle them if they were made out of cardboard and of course they all go off and use plastic. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I drive a round trip 100 miles a day to and from work and all I can see for those 100 miles is fecking Avril Doyle, she must have a relative in the printing business!!

I never saw so many posters for one person in my life, and her poster has something about it that reminds me of bloody Margaret Thatcher!!!
    Avril_Doyle_177w.jpg

I'm starting to have nightmares about her, she definitely wont be getting my vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

There's a guy in Ennis (Labour I think) who looks just like Tim Curry on his posters. I've never seen the Rocky Horror Picture Show so I'm limited to doing lines from the Muppet Treasure Island when I pass. I could do without that - it's making anyone else who happens to be in the car (ie no-one) scared. My street in Limerick (and it's a pretty long street) has no posters at all so perhaps there's some sort of agreement in place. Ditto the main street in Mallow, passed through it yesterday. There's a bloke called David Willis running in Mallow and he looks the spit of Bertie Ahern on his posters. I asssume he's re-using those "Picture of Bertie with little letters with name of council candidate at the bottom" posters from last time. I could rather do without that as well, though it's better than pictures of the Mallow councillors as most of them tend to look like they drink wine too often.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭chewy

from politics.ie

"FF get wind of this, realise it would look very bad if it comes out that they have been illegally employing asylum seekers ort illegal immigrants and quickly get out a story that the posters were damaged, ipso facto some political opponent paid some poor migrants to take down royston posters.

Result Royston is a victim and ends up all over the media.

You have to hand it to them - its brillaint........so far!

A couple of points to add to this.

Why would you remove posters and then damage them, thats double work, the easiest way to get them down is just to cut the cable ties.

In my area FF have two teams of posterers one of the teams is from Romania. No other party, to my knowledge is employing foreign nationals for this work."

so the weren't taking them down the were putting them up...!!!!

was it the last election where a poster fell down a gave a man a few stitchces on his head... nasty sharp corners on those things

Originally posted by irish1

Avril_Doyle_177w.jpg

I'm starting to have nightmares about her, she definitely wont be getting my vote.
    Very stately....
    I thought it was Norah owen :D

The N11 is absolutely plastered with Avril's posters aswell, with only a very few with Maireád Mcguinness:dunno:

Advertisement