Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Yellow diamond warning signs

Options
  • 14-05-2004 8:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭

Does anyone know when Ireland adopted the American-style yellow diamond-shaped warning signs? Was any special reason given for their adoption?

I've always thought that these signs are much better and much more noticeable than the British/Continental red-bordered triangles.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,703 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

possilby coz of the shape, stop signs and yield signs have a shape taht is easily recognisable even when sprayed out or covered. diamonds aren't the same as octogons and cant be turned upsidedown to look like a yield sign.

just a guess

• Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

its to do partly with the border so that army patrols on both sides would know if they accidently strayed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭PBC_1966

Hmm... I hadn't considered that last possibility, although I would have thought that there would be other things which could have been used for that purpose.

It just seems odd that the RoI opted for American-style warning signs which are used nowhere else in Europe. As I said, though, I think they're better.

Advertisement