Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Viruses

Options
  • 14-05-2004 9:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭

I recently switched to mac, and have been considering returning to windows, however the whole virus thing of late is making me reconsider. How is it that mac's dont get any viruses, and what are windows doing to make there systems (past present and future) more secure?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

hmmmm. trolling is bad mmmkay.

Just do a google - at the moment, Service Pack 2 shows which way microsoft are thinking of heading in terms of security:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/sp2chngs.mspx

and google...

as for 'why so prone' ... enough flames for one night :D Most cited reasons: ignorant user-base, the fact that any program is so easy to run (very few clicks of a mouse will do the trick), questionable quality of the OS (Underlying code) ...

May i ask why did you switch? Why do you want to move back? <- not security related issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Whats the point in making a virus to infect 5 computers?

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭hostyle

Originally posted by KdjaC

Bragging rights? Apple have not been exploit free over the years, nor *nix.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Originally posted by KdjaC

kdjac

heh. there's probably a little more than 5 macs out there...about 10? :p
    but yeah, i omitted 'largest user base' from the most common reasons listed..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,194 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

plus MS aren't very popular in some groups...

• Advertisement
Advertisement