Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Luas stop madness

• 14-05-2004 10:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25

As the luas approaches the square it passes by one of the biggest estates in tallaght,Springfield.The hospital on the left, Sringfield on the right.There are two stops that the people from Sringfield could use, however, and here's the madness, the entrance to the estate is exactly in the middle of both stops! leaving the passengers with quite a walk to/from the stops. Now what kind of planning is this? I will be speaking to my local councillor soon. Watch out !! Roderick.!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭silverside

good luck to you. They are not going to move the stop now.

The luas design went through an extended period of public consultation where local residents and councillors were invited to make submissions on the design. I am not familiar with the area you mention but no doubt there are good reasons for the design that is in place. Even with a walk, it will still be quicker than the bus into town at peak times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Tommy Vercetti

yeah they could at least put a stop at everyone's front door :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 bossman

+We thought we were getting a stop but it was only a pedestrian cross over ! As for the buses, i have free travel but prefer my car, at least i can enjoy music while sitting in gridlock. Will give the luas a chance anyway, as you say it should be faster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,474 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by bossman
    As the luas approaches the square it passes by one of the biggest estates in tallaght,Springfield.The hospital on the left, Sringfield on the right.There are two stops that the people from Sringfield could use, however, and here's the madness, the entrance to the estate is exactly in the middle of both stops!
    Well It's a little more complicated than that. The Hospital stop is designed to serve the hospital and Alderwood Green (and points beyond), except that someone built six extra house on Alderwood Green, closing the laneway.

The other serves Ambervale, Belgard Green, Cookstown Road, etc.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

Originally posted by silverside
    no doubt there are good reasons for the design that is in place

u mean like there was a good reason for all the roundabouts in the country?

• Advertisement

Originally posted by LFCFan
    u mean like there was a good reason for all the roundabouts in the country?
    What! If they didn't put roundabouts in Tallaght there would be nowhere to put the Luas stops :dunno:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 bossman

Many moons ago the corpo went to order 100 sets of traffic lights only the typist got it wrong and ordered 10,000 or so the story goes.Now, rather than admit to a mistake they decided to put lights everywhere they could.Needed or not.Has the same happened with roundabouts ? Try getting in to the square from anywhere and count the number of them you have to go round.

Many moons ago the corpo went to order 100 sets of traffic lights only the typist got it wrong and ordered 10,000 or so the story goes.
    Story being the operative word, there being only about 800(?) sets of lights in the city.
    Has the same happened with roundabouts
    How do you work that out? If they installed traffic lights, there would be no roundabout (save the dozen or so traffic light controlled roundabouts).

Advertisement