Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

graphics cards which is best?

Options
  • 15-05-2004 1:14am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭

i am interested in buying a AGP graphics card i would like a decent card for under €200 can you get good ones for that price? i know there are plenty of card manufacturs out there like so which is best and what model card is best? i was thinking of getting this one is it good?http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=121501&cks=PRL

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

this here now it does work out to be a bit over 200 when shipping is concerned but it's a great card.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

yeah looks great but works out at €198.346 without delivery charge i hear overclockers.co.uk charge a fortune to deliver to ireland

any more suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Originally posted by Cr3m0
    this here now it does work out to be a bit over 200 when shipping is concerned but it's a great card.

Its a piece of **** compared to the Saphire Pro's... At stock they are the same but the Saphire overclocks far better.. Two experiences of this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭neokenzo

You can get the Sapphire Pro for €210 at Jes-Computer or wait a while and get the X800 Pro for €420. The X800 are the lastest from ATI.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

Originally posted by jesus_thats_gre
    Its a piece of **** compared to the Saphire Pro's... At stock they are the same but the Saphire overclocks far better.. Two experiences of this.

interesting i didn't know that i thought it would have overclocked well due to the fancier copper cooler and that it comes with ramsinks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

I was under the impression that the Herc cards were better overclockers aswell. From a few ive seen the overclocks have been pretty impressive, i wouldnt mind trying one myself :) .

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Sir Random

Here's the o/c results (so far) for these cards:
    http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=17223988
    Apparently, they've sold half already (of thousands) in just 2 days.

The Hercs may have nice copper heatsinks, but o/c potential depends on the core itself. Most people o/c'ing 9800s use the VGA cooler or Zalman HP so the proprietary cooling becomes irrelevant. It's just luck of the draw with the cores.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

k, i currently have a Nvidia fx 5200 128mb is it worth changing?

One mate bought a Saphire and another bought a Hercules 9800 Pro. The Saphire clocks higher and with a 2.8C overcloked he got over 50,000 in Aquamark. The Hercules got 47,000 with a similar spec. I recently got the same Saphire and am overclocking it at the mo. The fella who owns the Hercules watched me bump up the memory and core speeds and just nodded saying he wished he bought the Hercules.

He was under the same impression as you lot, thats why he bought the hercules.

I correct myself, the lad with the Saphire actually has a 9800np and the other lad a Hercules 9800 Pro.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

The fella who owns the Hercules watched me bump up the memory and core speeds and just nodded saying he wished he bought the Hercules.

I take it you mean sapphire :p !!

Well its the same with powercolor cards, an example would be ......... dataisgod (dave) got samsung memory with his card and it overclocked fantasticaly with a stock cooler , memory was as good as you would get from XT's. People who got the other powercolor cards didnt have as good results, including me who has Hynix memory which just doesent overclock.

JoePC got a Herc 9800XT if i remember correctly and has the highest 3dMark ive seen on the boards, got 700mhz core + and very decent memory overclock also.

Im basing my opinion of Hercules cards on the fact that the Herc 9800se's went to 9800pros more than most........ and some of the results ive seen with the 9800pro cards. That said, ive seen great o/c's from ATI & Sapphire also (but bad ones aswell).
    Im 100% agreeing with Sir Random, luck of the draw.

Advertisement