Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dog training

• 15-05-2004 10:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

hi guys, I have a 11 weeks old puppy and he is an alsation x labrador....very funny
    little dog but also very strong minded!!
    I am thinking of going to obedience classes with him...anyone knows where could i take him?!!!

Ideally I would like to do classes with him as I guess I need to learn stuff as well ;).... I m looking around Dublin area or northern Dublin.... Thanks

:D:D:D:D :D:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭Falkorre

There is a list in the yellow pages, iv never used them so i cant comment on how good / bad they are.
    To my mind tho, training is best done by the owner at home where the dog is at its most relaxed and comfortable and paying attention.
    A box of treats and a water-pistol works wonders ;)

B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

A benefit of going to a class, though, is that the instructor could tell you if you're doing anything wrong yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Buy the book Don't Shoot the Dog by Karen Pryor, for a start. You'll get it from Amazon; I've never seen it in a bookshop here. Pryor started out as a dolphin trainer, using "positive reinforcement" to train the animals in her dolphinarium, which included dolphins, whales, chickens (no, not in the water), dogs, etc. She then moved on to "training" humans.

I have heard that lisa at dogtrainingireland dot com uses the same methods; you could email her and ask.

Take a look at www.clickersolutions.com for some ideas on training, too. The articles by Debi Davis, or maybe Davies, are particularly good.

I'm trying to organise for Kay Laurence, who runs training courses for dog trainers in England, and has a training game she sells called Genabacab, to come to Ireland to give a course here, if you'd be interested - don't know about prices or anything yet, though.

Advertisement