Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Network?

• 15-05-2004 1:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭

Since there's a lot of threads about switching networks and people unhappy with their network I'd just like to see which you think is best.

Which network is best? 55 votes

Vodafone
    0% 0 votes
    O2
    36% 20 votes
    Meteor
    63% 35 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭J-537

Good idea...

Does this poll include value for money etc, and customer service etc ?

I'm with meteor and it's cheap enough but there customer service line takes about 20 mins to get trough to them. - :dunno:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

It's an overall opinion of the network, it'd be great to get additional comments as well. I was on Vodafone for 3 years before switching to O2, they're much better but twice now I've spent €10 credit on a few minutes of GPRS...also O2 don't have a great range of phones to choose from, Vodafone do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭Auburn

I've voted for Vodafone. In terms of reliability and coverage they're the best of the lot by far.

Meteor are the best price-wise. Their offer of free texts if you top up by €20 a month is brilliant. Am considering switching networks or having a second phone purely for this. Their coverage isn't the best but they've improved a great deal since the beginning.

I find O2's coverage to be very bad. My parents are with O2 and they have to go upstairs in the house or outside to be able to make a phone call. (Living in Limerick where reception should be good). Don't know how that's happening, but it is. Don't like their customer service either.

Yeah I agree with your point Auburn on meteor been the cheapest and therefore the best value. Its great when your texting your mates who are also on meteor Free Texting = My vote - :D But I have to be honest and say that on the reception thing, I've never had a problem or dropped a call (Dublin) ? Maybe I've just been lucky ?

And yeah I've also spend €10-€15 in a few mins on the gprs and wap - :( on meteor with my 6600.

Yeah I agree with you also neev about vodafone having the best selection of phones, but they they don't have the Nokia 6600 which would be a great seller for them , but they do have the P900 ! - :)

So I'm going to vote for Meteor, simple because of their value for money !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭stereo_steve

I was with o2 for 4 years. Switching to meteor has been great. Only been with them 6weeks now, but I'm saving a fortune.

BTW Meteors helpline is open 24hrs a day! So just call them on your way home from a night out. I'd say that there would no queue!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,585 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Recently switched to meteor and I'm loving it, free texts are saving me an absolute fortune! Only problem for me is the €60 needed in order to roam, seeing as I'm up the North most weekends!

Also, did you notice in the poll that the bar beside each operator is the same colour as they use in their advertisements? Spooky.

Or not.

I noticed that too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Meteor would have it if their network was more reliable. I choose Vodafone, you pay for what you get!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 142 ✭✭Celticwarrior

Meteor, as i have often said, is by far and away the best IMO, and i've been on all three networks, and i rarely rarely had a problem with coverage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Originally posted by NekkidBibleMan

Also, did you notice in the poll that the bar beside each operator is the same colour as they use in their advertisements? Spooky.

I was just about to say that!:D Its Wierd.....

Anyway, i voted for o2. Ive been with them (well esat/digiphone (sp?)) since my first phone and never had a problem.

Oh and ages ago i rang them asking if they had anything like: a certin amount of free text's a month, which they didnt do at the time, and a while later it was introduced :)

No problem for me regarding Coverage......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

Originally posted by jesus_thats_gre
    Meteor would have it if their network was more reliable. I choose Vodafone, you pay for what you get!

Well thats shocking, who is it u work for again ? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Originally posted by Serialkiller
    Well thats shocking, who is it u work for again ? :rolleyes:

Now read my post again!!

Interpreted that means, if you use your phone for social purposes only and make your decision based purely on cost, then Meteor is the best. If you actually depend on your mobile and consider a consistently reliable service as being more inportant than small disparities in cost, then Vodafone is best in my opinion.

So if you still consider that to be biased, I can say no more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Would be interested to know how many people have ever changed from one network to another. Are mobile networks like banks where people often are loathe no matter how bab the service is?

For example, I have never moved from one network to another,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Slice

BTW Meteors helpline is open 24hrs a day! So just call them on your way home from a night out. I'd say that there would no queue!
    I wouldn't call any network helpdesk in the middle of the night. None of their main cutomer care departments such as technical support or adminstation are available in those times and so any problems would have to be dealt with the following day. Because the people who deal with outside business hour calls usually only work these 'off peak' hours it means customer queries are more likely to be overlooked since nothing can be done about them immediately. Best time to call any helpdesk is before lunch - the closer to 9am the better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 90s

Meteors Help line is from 8am - Midnight after that its automated

Originally posted by 90s
    Meteors Help line is from 8am - Midnight after that its automated

No 90s sorry your wrong there it takes from 8am - Midnight to get through - LOL - :D

I voted for Meteor anyway ! - :)

Anyway neev how long will this poll go on for ?

Are you going to leave it here for a month or when there are 1000 votes or something - :)

GO metor_logo_01.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 90s

Originally posted by J-537
    No 90s sorry your wrong there it takes from 8am - Midnight to get through - LOL - :D

GO metor_logo_01.gif

Haha good 1 Funny cos its true!!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭pookster

I've voted O2. Been with them for a few years and I use the internet APN quite a bit. Any issues I've had with data have been quickly resolved by their Data Engineers, who seem to know their stuff.

It is a bit pricey, but its the same as Voda and Meteor.

Originally posted by J-537
    Anyway neev how long will this poll go on for ?

GO metor_logo_01.gif

To infinity...and beyond! :D
    I didn't put a time limit on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭stereo_steve

Originally posted by pookster
    It is a bit pricey, but its the same as Voda and Meteor.

Thats were your wrong. They are all different prices.

I think we can all agree that vodaphone is the most expensive, then o2 and then meteor.

• Advertisement

O2's great for the text bundles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

yeah have to second the o2 text bundles thing...its bloody brilliant! also the 39c roaming texts are relatively good value (though still very expensive) and they have been consistenly reducing call charges for speakeasy customers over the past year or so...only by a few cents here & there but it's better than nothing/inflation. i have been with vodafone and meteor in the past and am happiest with o2 for value and connection reliability as had problems with meteor in this respect (it could just be my area but i am in dublin) and vodafone is more expensive. also thumbs up to o2 customer supprit - alwasy helpful. e.g. a couple of months someone from o2 rang me and told me they were redoing their site and so any pictures i had stored in my online photo albums would be lost and i should save them to my hard drive. they sent me out a tenner free credit, crappy radio and free ringtones & stuff for the inconvenince. fine with me :)

OMG, they never did that for me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

o2 since I got a fone about 3-4 years ago.

online texts are great...well, the 500 they originally had were :)

no top up time limit also :)

dont get a great signal with meteor around home.

I'm quiet happy with o2 overall. Nothing bad to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭talking_walnut

Gonna have to go with Meteor here. Their free messages are fantastic. Nice website too. A look at my call register for the last month shows that I've sent 1202 messages to just one person. Don't even want to think about how much that would cost me if I was vodafone.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 508 ✭✭✭davkav

It would have cost you €156.26!!

I'm in the same boat. I love meteor! Best thing I ever did was switch. Its without doubt the best network!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Slice

Vodafone is the most expensive and O2 arent far behind. in fact they are the same for prices on most call costs. the free texts on O2 are okay but vodafone have a similar offer for billed customers. To be honest I dont think anyone should have to pay in bulk in order to get the cheapest rates for text messaging so my vote goes to meteor. when you take into account that to call another network with vodafone and O2 at off peak times costs 30cent a minute compared to meteor at just 13 cent per minute its a huge difference to be paying and that difference contributes to the huge revenues per customer vodafone and o2 ireland make.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 142 ✭✭Celticwarrior

Two of my friends switched to meteor and they even have really good coverage in Leitrim and Sligo so the coverage is improving and expanding the whole time!

Meteor are very cheap, it has to be said.

• Advertisement
Advertisement