Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

changing version of windows from ME

Options
  • 15-05-2004 4:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭

if i want to change my version of windows from ME to say 98se or xp can i use the normal os 98se or xp disks or is there a specific disk for changing from ME.

Eoin F

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Use a normal and do a full install ,take whatever files you want off the pc and do a clean install.
    Save you a lot of possible problems.

There are upgrade versions which are cheaper but your better off getting the full versions.

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

Doing a clean install or upgrade?
    Depends on the disk your using.
    I'd recommend doinga clean install anyway.
    What spec of computer. RAM specifically, for your choice between SE and XP.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

no. it's a clean install i'm afraid. backup / use the migration tool, format, install...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

You should be able to buy an upgrade disc, and do a clean install from it. It will prompt you for your old OS disc though.. That was the way pre-XP anyway.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Make sure you use NTFS partitions instead of FAT32 ones - saves you a lot of bother. i don't know if the XP/98 installer can do that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

You can't upgrade to 98 - boot off the 98 cd into command prompt , rename windows folder , rename win.com, sys the C: driver and then try a clean(ish) install - you will have to reinstall all apps again - you might get lucky and have them inherit their old settings maybe, - if you are not lucky you have mush

Advertisement