Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Legends

• 15-05-2004 5:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭

Because thats now what they are :)

Im not going to sully the magnificent acheivement by posting this on the leicster thread ;)

One thing about this is that it vindicates Arsenes statements last year to a certain extent. He said that he could see that team going unbeaten and with very few changes they did, a year later.

So much for arrogance now.

They rode their luck at times but having seen the level of football they have played this year and the fact they remained unbeaten in a very competitive league this year, i dont think there can be any doubting they are one of the great sides.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

They simply have qualities that no other team in the premiership can rival.

Spirit, togetherness, attitude, commitment, strength, pace, skill, determination and luck. They have showed these qualities in every game throughout the season.

You won't win anything without a good dose of these qualities but few teams have ever managed to maintain them as Arsenal have.

Wenger, to my mind, wasn't so much wrong last season, as just premature.

Will they maintain it? It will take some doing by Utd and Chelsea to catch up!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭iasc

ah they mightve been legends if they managed to beat united this season

also they only won the league by 11 points, utd won it by 18 points a few years back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Well they beat them to the Premiership title :D

Yes a superb achievement and hopefully Arsene can do some of his transfer magic in the summer and unearth a few more gems ;)

Gandalf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Originally posted by iasc
    ah they mightve been legends if they managed to beat united this season

Hurumph! :mad: No-one not even Man Utd bores should take anything away from Arsenal, chances are we will not see this happen again in our lifetimes (well mine anyway!)

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Best premiership team ever, anyone who thinks otherwise is a foolish man utd fan (yes even better than utd 99 team).
    They can attack defend as a team and play super football, only problem i think they have is Henry if he gets injured they buggered ,but winning a league unbeatn and asking for more money to spend on players should sort that out :)

kdjac

Originally posted by KdjaC
    Best premiership team ever, anyone who thinks otherwise is a foolish man utd fan (yes even better than utd 99 team).
    They can attack defend as a team and play super football, only problem i think they have is Henry if he gets injured they buggered ,but winning a league unbeatn and asking for more money to spend on players should sort that out :)

kdjac
    #

If theyre so great how come they couldnt win a trebble...YESSSSSSS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Must resist urge or will get banned!

Congratulations to Arsenal a truely fantastic achievement and one that no one can take away from them. Champions and deservedly so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

Arsene is happy with his squad won't be making any signings, he said on Sky Sports News.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

#

you do wonder how some people got access to soccer.

anyway, begrudgers aside..

deserved legends in england. maybe I'll see it happen again in my life but this one will always be remembered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭talla

Great achievement by Arsenal. They play football the way it was meant to be played

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Harry2001

kdjac

Totally agree best one season team in the top flight since the great liverpool teams of the 70's and 80's.

I wanted them to lose today because they are getting dangerously close to Forest's 42 match unbeaten run but they will probably beat that record next season.

A truly great team…..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭JippoKelly

#

Mmm. Are you trolling or what? That's a lousy argument. You don't see any Liverpool fans saying Arsenal aren't great because they haven't won the European Cup 4 times. Why? Because like you're argument, it has no real relevance to now and to whether this present Arsenal team are great or not.

Anyway, well done to Arsenal. Going a whole league season unbeaten is a phenomenal achievement. And they've done it in style - playing some breath-taking football in the process. :)

It is a great achievment by arsenal, however, it's not like they are invincible and obliterated all oposition, they bottled it against chelsea in the champions league, and were played off the park against utd in the semis of of the f.a. cup. Do be honest how many arsenal fans would swap this for the Champions League, The Fa Cup and The League

iasc not withstanding that I am an Arsenal fan, its semi trolling crap like your posting here that shut the soccer forum down. Don't make me regret giving you access to here ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Iasc be quiet, let them have there moment they deserve it
    Dissapointed Utd fan

Originally posted by gandalf
    iasc not withstanding that I am an Arsenal fan, its semi trolling crap like your posting here that shut the soccer forum down. Don't make me regret giving you access to here ok.

I'm entitled to my opinion, and really if u werwent an arsenal fan you wouldnt be that upset, i'm just trying to bring u back down to earth here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭elbow316

Invincibles, Immortals, Untouchables, whatever labels are bestowed on the current Arsenal team are completely deserved :D
    I just feel priveleged to support this team who play stunning football, with magnificent players all over the pitch and truly play the "Beautiful Game".

On a side note, Arsene Wenger is a genius :D

I'm entitled to my opinion, and really if u werwent an arsenal fan you wouldnt be that upset, i'm just trying to bring u back down to earth here

Heres the thing ok. This is a thread about Arsenal and the achievement in going the whole season without defeat. It had nothing to do with united etc until you came in with your troll. If you want to rabbit on about United and treble do so in another thread.

The old soccer forum was shut down because no one could have an intelligent discussion about anything because some "fools" would hijack it. That has stopped, but if you are trying to bring that back you will be banned.

Gandalf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

But he is being on topic,
    People are saying that they believe that this is one the best teams ever to play in the premiership, and he is making the argument, albeit not in the most elegant mannor, that they didn't preform in europe and thus weren't one of the best teams.

Its just that people will instantly jump on it, and assume it has to be a Man U fan bashing the Arsenal achievement

• Advertisement

Utd were beaten in CL that year , beaten in the league also ,the football Utd played that season is why i love football ,they wanted to win more than the others but lacked quality players in defense which theirn will to win and outscore the opp usually overcame.
    Arsenal this year in the LEAGUE did not have any players lacking quality in any area, so there was no need to outscore opp only score and defend a lead well,perfect football tbh may not be as pretty as utd in 99 but it worked and worked well.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭vorbis

outstanding achievement by Arsenal. How is the Champions League and FA Cup relevant to the premiership?? As an arsenal fan or course I acknowledge that 99 was a better season for utd than this one has been for Arsenal. The issue though is that no one has gone through the premiership season unbeaten for nearly 120 YEARS. That indicates why this Arsenal team is legendary.

i know that the cl and f.a. cup has nothing to do with the League, but people like you are saying this team are legendary...the TEAM, who play in the CL and the f.a. cup. And i'm saying that although...of course it was a brilliant achievement in the league that it's not like the points margin was the best ever, thats the main thing i would look at. I'm sorry if this is 'trolling' but i think in a discussion board topics should be allowed argued against and not just supported..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

i know that the cl and f.a. cup has nothing to do with the League, but people like you are saying this team are legendary...

Ah blame Dustaz for that but he is on a high right now!

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭sikes

only score and defend a lead well,perfect football tbh may not be as pretty as utd in 99 but it worked and worked well.

kdjac

i don't understand this at all...

the way arsenal played this season has not been seen ever in the premiership and have been compared to the spurs 60/61 double winning side. the style of football they played is beautiful it is as football was meant to be played. they passed and moved the ball around seamlessly ... this is beautiful football!!

united in 99, althoough a great achievement, did not achieve this style of football. they simply didn't have the same type of quality players..they had huge hearts but lacked a little ability.

as painful as it is to say this as i am a spurs fan, arsenal are the greatest prem side ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

In fairness Iasc, you can only judge a team by what they are up against. The PL has Arsenal with the highest points achived (I think) and unbeaten. Look at Utds point total compared to years they won it? Surely that alone makes Arsenal legendary in terms of the Premiership.

Considering Preston, they went unbeaten in a league that only had 20 games or something. So to put it frankly, considering the points tally, the gap between them and the next best team in the premiership (Chelsea) and the fact that noone beat them in the premiership, this arsenal team is quite simply the best team to put in a season in Premiership history.

Originally posted by sikes

the way arsenal played this season has not been seen ever in the premiership and have been compared to the spurs 60/61 double winning side. the style of football they played is beautiful it is as football was meant to be played. they passed and moved the ball around seamlessly ... this is beautiful football!!

united in 99, althoough a great achievement, did not achieve this style of football. they simply didn't have the same type of quality players..they had huge hearts but lacked a little ability.

as painful as it is to say this as i am a spurs fan, arsenal are the greatest prem side ever.

For long periods in games arsenal didnt have the ball ,didnt want the ball just let the other team mess about with it, when arsenal got the ball they played subliminal football. But im sure Opta will say opp teams prolly had more of the ball in games arsenal squeezed tru. So arse would score then sit back for the next 81 minutes and just sit there ,thats not pretty to watch unless you a fan of the team :D
    Works and works well that what i meant.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Dr. Dre

Whatever the merits of this record are, I take my hat off to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

To answer some of the criticsisms (not directly, lets not go there after a pleasurable few months):

As syke alluded to, this acheivement is truly unparalled (as was Utd's treble). You cannot compare the preston situation with the current arsenal one. 100 years ago Football was a completly different game, teams were amateur and there was only 20 games per season with no extra distractions of internationals, european competition. Point totals, winning margins and other competitions have no bearing on what was previously thought next to impossible - remaining unbeaten all season.

Yes, I am on a high at the moment and im going to enjoy it :)

• Advertisement

Originally posted by sikes

you dont win a champions league, premier league and an f.a. cup lacking a little ability, in my opinion utd's achievement was greater than arsenal going unbeaten, however i do take my hats off to them, it is a great achievement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 635 ✭✭✭johnor

I think in terms of premier league they are well deserving of the term 'legends'. Takes alot to get the team right for 38 games, Arsenal did that. I think the thing that really stood out was how they showed so much 'togetherness' for want of a better word. I think their achievement will definitly go down in history, in terms of comparing them to the '99 team or the older liverpool teams...tough to compare. I dont think you can say they shouldnt be called legends because they havent won the CL or done back to back leagues. I look forward to next season more than ever now....

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Oh yea!!

Preston got their nickname "The Invincibles" from their unbeaten season, I wonder if the Gunners will get a new nickname too? The Unbeatable Gunners!
    they havn't had a bad patch all year which will inevitably come (yes, they WILL lose a game, not might)
    Arsenal are going to lose 3 matches before the season is out. Not a hope in hell they will go undefeated.
    Not a hope in hell of remaining unbeaten.
    no team in the league is good enough at the moment to go 38 games without losing. it takes a legendary side to do that with terrific team spirit and luck.
    Ahh, sorry lads :)

So annoyed I missed it, was in blackrock doing a stupid exam :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Originally posted by kaids
    Preston got their nickname "The Invincibles" from their unbeaten season, I wonder if the Gunners will get a new nickname too? The Unbeatable Gunners!

The 'tight-arses' would be more logical.

Anyway, fair play to Arsenal. I'm not a supporter but I was definetly willing them on to get the bit '0' once they got past the 30 game mark. They're football alone has been a breath of fresh air this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Originally posted by Pigman II
    The 'tight-arses' would be more logical.

lol :)

you dont win a champions league, premier league and an f.a. cup lacking a little ability, in my opinion utd's achievement was greater than arsenal going unbeaten, however i do take my hats off to them, it is a great achievement

perhaps i didn't make my point too well !!

what i meant was that the arsenal team are probably better footballers than the team of 99. not takin anything away from united tho.

i also agree that the achievement of the united 99 side was greater than that of arsenals 03/04 unbeaten thing.

just wondering, i don't arsenal won that many games 1-0 and i think they only started to sit back on what they had after they had clinched the title on realised that they could got the season unbeaten.

• Advertisement

Thanls to arseblog.com, heres some classy wallpapers for the gooners :D

Team 1

Team 2

Team 3

Team 4

Team 5

Kolo Toure Backflip!

Immortal|Elbow316 signing off ;):D

4 pages of Arsenal vs Leicester and celebration photos @ gettyImages

at least they didn't give them the trophy at the lane.

would have been painful :-(
    !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

Congrats to the gunners, a remarkable and deserved achievement.

Best premier league team without a doubt, i think "legends" is appropriate because from now on any team that does complete a top-flight undefeated run will be compared to arsenal.

Not best european team mind, that still belongs to utd.

If we'd won half the games arsenal did we'd still be in the PL :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

The one thing that would worry me is what happened to AC Milan at the end of their 48-game unbeaten run. In the end, it became like a weight around their necks, and sucked any spirit out of the team. Once it ended, the team kind of crumbled, and drifted back towards mid-table. I doubt it will happen to Arsenal, but you don't want to see them get stuck in a rut of just waiting for the defeat to come along...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

i know that the cl and f.a. cup has nothing to do with the League, but people like you are saying this team are legendary...the TEAM, who play in the CL and the f.a. cup. And i'm saying that although...of course it was a brilliant achievement in the league that it's not like the points margin was the best ever, thats the main thing i would look at. I'm sorry if this is 'trolling' but i think in a discussion board topics should be allowed argued against and not just supported..

The points margin wasnt huge but that says more about Chelsea than it does about Arsenal .
    Arsenal finnished with 90 points this season , I dont recall man utd having this many points in what is a much stronger league now , although I could be wrong 5 years is a long time .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

For long periods in games arsenal didnt have the ball ,didnt want the ball just let the other team mess about with it, when arsenal got the ball they played subliminal football. But im sure Opta will say opp teams prolly had more of the ball in games arsenal squeezed tru. So arse would score then sit back for the next 81 minutes and just sit there ,thats not pretty to watch unless you a fan of the team :D
    Works and works well that what i meant.

kdjac
    Their the top scorer's in the league this season , so I think saying they defend for 81 minutes is rubbish , although they do also have the best defensive record .,

Advertisement