Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sponsor me threads

Options
  • 15-05-2004 7:30pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭

While I think the sponsorship idea for soccer was and is a great idea, there has been a slight bit of fall out from it is the 'sponsor me' threads.

Anyway of making one sticky for them all, and stopping anyone from starting a new thread just to ask for sponsorship? technically, they are neither suggestions nor bickering :P

Flogen
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

a single thread for all those who want sponsors is a tad silly imo.

awkward to keep track of who is sponsoring who.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

another sub forum in soccer with sponsor requests then perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

they could put "sponsor me for soccer" in their sig and and link to the access request post...

no need for a new forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

they could put "sponsor me for soccer" in their sig and and link to the access request post...

no need for a new forum.

:confused: The mods normally close the thread after they have responded which leaves the requester with nowhere to . . er . . request sponsorship !!

ZEN

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Or perhaps if they are genuine users they would be able to PM users they have interacted with since joining boards and ask them for sponsorship, privately.

• Advertisement

I dont think that after the hassle in the "wierd email" thread that would be a goer, some there expressed a dislike to unsolicited email/pms.

ZEN

• Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by ZENER
    I dont think that after the hassle in the "wierd email" thread that would be a goer, some there expressed a dislike to unsolicited email/pms.
    There is a big difference between 5 and 500 PMs

There is a big difference between 5 and 500 PMs

Maybe , but there's no difference between unsolicited and unsolicited !

ZEN

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

a whole new sub forum wouldnt really work, IMO. the people posting the threads need a place with a lot of traffic where someone might see their post, and feel they deserve sponsorship. I cant imagine many people going into a whole new forum just to find someone they dont know so they can sponsor them... it might happen abit, but not much.

as for PM's, while many people will only PM people they kinda know and ask for sponsorship, your bound to get plenty of people who mass PM everyone they see in the forum asking for sponsorship.

While a single thread may not be the best way to sort it out. While it isnt a huge problem, its is abit of an annoyance to see sometimes, especially when there is a group of them on the front page of B/S at one time. I assumed that it wouldnt have been allowed too, given the fact that the mods stressed that you should only sponsor people you know... then again its up to the user to take that chance.

perhaps there is a better way, but i cant really see it... i'd still go with one thread as the best option...

Flogen

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

The Access forum is the place to put your requests for access, no where else.

People should be willing to sponsor you based on your posts across boards so if you are new you will need to build a good reputation up over posts and time. This means that unfortunately you will not get immediate access to soccer if you are a newbie. The person requests access and his sponsors reply to the mail, that is the only way it works.

Anyone that is reported to me mass pming people for access will never get access to Soccer.

The one thing I am taking a very bad opinion of is people pimping on here for sponsors and I may amend the rules on getting access to soccer banning pimping for sponsors on other forums within boards.ie.

ZENER/tinky I do not know why you are engaging in these threads as there is no way I will be allowing you back into the soccer board.

Gandalf.

• Advertisement

ZENER/tinky I do not know why you are engaging in these threads as there is no way I will be allowing you back into the soccer board.

Gandalf.

Yeah rightly so too, can't have anyone there who knows more about football and their team than Google now can we. :rolleyes:

At what stage did you decide this Gandalf? Is defending oneself a crime here now ? I tried to get a point across on the B/S thread about not being given a chance to explain myself. Instead of debate I get Google jockeys making comments and general statements about me when they dont really know what went on behind the scenes.

I'd like you to explain to me what exactly you expect football fans to behave as, look at the telly any time a match is on and watch the segragation between home and away fans - why do you think that's required ? Is it to pass the sandwiches between opposing fans at the half-time break ? NO. It's because fans are fans and in every day life we slag and tease each other about our teams performance, It's part and parcel of football and please don't give me the "treat each other civil" line. That goes without saying, if I met these guys in at boards beers we'd probably get on just fine. It's not personal unless someone makes it so.

ZEN

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Originally posted by kaids
    Or perhaps if they are genuine users they would be able to PM users they have interacted with since joining boards and ask them for sponsorship, privately.

Yes^

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Zener - it's just a game, let go, it's no big deal. Whats so involving about 9 men kicking a ball about the place? Sheesh.

If you want real excitement I suggest you to use the Weather forum. May not be a beautiful game but they do talk about beautiful rain sometimes.

Whats so involving about 9 men kicking a ball about the place?
    :D:D

ZENER

Advertisement