Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Antec Sonata Case Question

Options
  • 15-05-2004 8:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭

I'm looking at getting the antec sonata case as i want to make my pc more quiet.

I've read some of the reviews on-line and they al praise it for being quiet.
    It was mentioned in a review that the hd cables are resonably close to the side pannel.
    That has me worried as i have to sata hd's and their plug does stick out a fair bit and doesn't bend very well!

I there anybody that has this case with sata hd's, does it work?

Thanks,
    jozi

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

Yea it works fine, its close alrite and i do have to bend the cables but its nothin serious.

As for a quieter rig your definetly looking in the rite direction, super quiet PSU, nice big 120mm case fans (run em slow but still goo air flow), HD vibration absorbers, reasonably thick walls. A very well built , nice to use case........ i love it , best case ive had!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Yeah have one too and can say nothing but positive things about it.. The side panel closes no problem too!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

Deffinatly getting it now!

Read nothing but mostly positive reviews about it.

A few didn't like the position for the front fan and no mobo tray, can live with both!

Just have to sell my current case and get up to dublin (hope thay have them to in itdirect).

Thanks for the quick replies

Jozi

Ps. I have a Antec true power 430 watt psu should i swap it for what comes with the case? Only got it a few weeks ago seems pretty quiet which was why i got it. (recomended here on boards!)

Well it will only cost you €10 for delivery from elara.ie , mite save you a trip!!

The position of the front fan is definetly not a problem, i would like to know the reason for it being a bad one TBH. Its between the CPU & GFX card (more toward CPU) which seem ideal. It worked out perfectly for my water cooling setup, sonata was a dream........ and €130 i was very happy. (spent €300+ on an XaserII & Antec 480w true blue :rolleyes: , just before).
    Ps. I have a Antec true power 430 watt psu should i swap it for what comes with the case? Only got it a few weeks ago seems pretty quiet which was why i got it. (recomended here on boards!)

Well the antec TP 430w is a great PSU, and you cant go wrong (bit pricey but fantastic PSU). It totally depends on what system you are running?
    If its an AMD XP then sell the 430w and stick with the 380w that comes with the sonata , its quieter and will power any overclocker XP with top GFX & hard disks. (powered my rig, @2480mhz, 4 hard disks, 9700pro o/c etc.)

The main thing is what your trying to power, the 380w is a single fan and is quieter than almost any other antec PSU.

QUOTE]Well it will only cost you €10 for delivery from elara.ie , mite save you a trip!![/QUOTE]

I was going to dublin anyway so it's not much hassle. Pitty elara isn't as cheap as complett for hd's and monitors. (I'm finishing of my pc, at long last)

About the front fan i wasn't sure to why it was bad but thats what the reviews where saying? Would it not draw air or the hd's???

I'm still not sure about keeping the psu! I bought it thinking that 430 watt give me some extra watts for future upgrades.
    I'll compare both when i get the case and then decide

jozi

ps its a good case anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Bosco

Using the PSU that comes with the Sonata will probably make for a quieter machine alright, and if you don't have a spare fan controller handy then the special fan power connectors on the 380W will make your main fan quieter also.

Be carefull when putting it all together. The right hand side panel is not removable, and it's very easy to scratch the finish when you have the machine on it's side for assembly (a piece of grit was the cause of a few annoying scratches on mine).

The psu i have has the fan only connectors on it, i put one fan on a regular connectore and its a good bit louder than when it was on the fan only connector.
    I read in the reviews that it scratches easy alright.
    Thanks for the replies

jozi

• Registered Users Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

*cough* your putting the Hard drives in the wrong way round *cough*

the cables should be going in from the back of the drive bay. IE: The long holes in the side of the drive bay that are just big enough for IDE cables. There will be more than enough room for the SATA as well. So the front of the drive faces the Sidepanal and the connecters are tooked away in the back out of sight. You will also have a much neater system

Ahh im pretty happy with the way they are at the min, i take hard drives in and out a good bit so im saving myself some hassle. It looks perfectly ok to have it this way and doesent cause any problems at all.

I dont think there is a right or wrong way to have the hard drives.
    Any of the reviews i read they either het the cables facing out (easy acces) or in (to keep things tidy), at least i know that it will work both ways with the sata now.

Jozi

• Advertisement
Advertisement