Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

interesting open letter from gainward

Options
  • 15-05-2004 10:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭

Read it here

I total agree with gainward tbh

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭neokenzo

Did you read the rest of the stuff at FiringSquad? I thought it was very interesting. Seems they are trying to sell a tad bit too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Their both fanboys :p but ya its interesting

Im still leaning to the 6800 as the better card tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭neokenzo

I guess time will tell. Its hard to know with all this backstabbing happening :)

Douth ill buy one of these cards tbh i have a 9800pro on its way to me so that will do for the next year or so by then the next generation of cards will be out and then ill get the proven best card of "this" generation (seems like a good plan!)

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Adeptus Titanicus

Originally posted by bizmark
    ...by then the next generation of cards will be out and then ill get the proven best card of "this" generation (seems like a good plan!)
    Absolutely! There's no immediate rush. 9800Pro will do me for a while too, so I can watch which way the balance of power swings...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Gyck

All very interesting, but how will PCI Express be factored into this? I'm hanging onto my 9800pro for at least a year (plus the mainboard, ram, etc., etc...). What's the point of upgrading an agp part at this point in time?

Pci express = more bandwidth = better!

or something along those lines ....oh and you get more power through the slot so no need for two molex connectors on your fat ass 6800 ultra

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

Pci express = more bandwidth = better!

Fingers crossed anyway, but we all know what little performance difference there is between 4x and 8x AGP ............ will the Card be able to take advantage of the extra bandwidth?

Im dying to upgrade rite now, or to change something (mabye dual CPU) ....... although my head is telling me to wait til '05 . Im going to be watching these threads pretty closely as im liable to just buy something on the spur of the moment :rolleyes: . So far people seem to be gearing for ATI, i would agree on some points yea (i havent read enough to have a strong view) but the majour thing is how will the main stream cards overclock, what effect will the drivers have, power / noise level......... Its too early at the min, Nvidia have the better design , but are less trustworthy in many people's minds.

Originally posted by COL_LOKI
    Fingers crossed anyway, but we all know what little performance difference there is between 4x and 8x AGP ............ will the Card be able to take advantage of the extra bandwidth?

Im dying to upgrade rite now, or to change something (mabye dual CPU) ....... although my head is telling me to wait til '05 . Im going to be watching these threads pretty closely as im liable to just buy something on the spur of the moment :rolleyes: . So far people seem to be gearing for ATI, i would agree on some points yea (i havent read enough to have a strong view) but the majour thing is how will the main stream cards overclock, what effect will the drivers have, power / noise level......... Its too early at the min, Nvidia have the better design , but are less trustworthy in many people's minds.

Your right about the tiny difference in performance dataisgod showed me a nice review of the difference between 4x/8x and possible difference that pci express will make it wouldn’t be a big step up in the short term that’s for sure but whos to know what will happen a year or two from now.

As for upgrading meh why bother ram is horrible over priced right now plus you might as well wait till xp64 comes out ................I still hold out the x800 is noting but a ATI radeon 9850pro tbh

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

I'm fairly certain that ATI's R420 core is a stop gap measure to hold the line against the Nvidia 6800 till the end of the year until its main contender appears the R480. But its likely that Nvidia will have imporved versions of the 6800 appearing well before then.

The guy in that article sounded fairly rattled from the competition ATI is offering rather than offer hard facts he just made general statements. Not that I'm anti Nvidia. I,ve have had at least 3 of there cards in the past and they do make better drivers. But that guy seemed rather assumptious that ATI did not bring the X800XT to the press event because it was not up to par. But I reckon and it is only my opinon probably because its wasn't ready. Not many companys I know of bring not fully ready or optimized components into the public domain and I can say that with less bias than he can. Of every review of the current cards just about favour ATI and that guy makes no mention of less power consumption on ATI cards. Apparantly nvidia sent out a preview of its extreme ultra 6800 and the reviews still favour ATI's card. Nvidia themsleves aren't actually releasing a 6800 to the public but other companys will. It seems it was just an attempt to upstage ATI. Drivers may improve situtation for Nvidia but I suprised if drivers alone make the difference.

Anyway one final point. I been hearing nvidia card owners get a performace boost if they use nvidia chipsets motherboards. I wonder how much performace increase there would be?

• Advertisement
Advertisement