Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone work nights?

• 15-05-2004 10:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone work shifts with the week of nights and what their tried and tested method of getting you body back to days?

Don't move to the work forum, its not a work query exactly. Could apply to someone doing crazy hours studying!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭Syke

i used to work lotsa strange hours. worst woz a 10pm-8am shift.

best way to get back into the groove is to hit the sack straight away but force yerself up at about lunch time.

take it easy for the day, maybe a pint or two if ya like and then a good nights sleep.

always felt grand the next mornin. if ya oversleep when ya come off the shift ya'll regret it that night.

oh, and if i were you id invest in heavy curtains for yer room.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭silverside

have never worked night shifts, though i have had to work 24hr days ocassionaly.

Your body's natural clock is 25 hours long, so it is easier to adjust by staying up later on your last day than going to bed earlier. for same reason jetlag isnt so bad going from east to west.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭decritic

Originally posted by Capt.Sparrow
    i used to work lotsa strange hours. worst woz a 10pm-8am shift.

best way to get back into the groove is to hit the sack straight away but force yerself up at about lunch time.

take it easy for the day, maybe a pint or two if ya like and then a good nights sleep.

always felt grand the next mornin. if ya oversleep when ya come off the shift ya'll regret it that night.

oh, and if i were you id invest in heavy curtains for yer room.

That is the exact advice i'd give too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Tivoli

spot on sparrow

sleep as much as you can before the last night shift then try and get about 4 hrs sleep max after it, avoid driving (i stopped at a green light after a night shift once, bit better then not stopping at a red light, but never good)

dont get those eye masks, i found that if you wear them to sleep 3 days in a row, you get a rash from all that germ infested sweat!

if you have a few days off after the night shift make sure to set an alarm every night, i used to have 6 days off after the last night shift and once got up a 10 every morning for the first 3,on the 4th day forgot to set my alarm and woke at 3pm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭de5p0i1er

I work a night shift and I found that if you can sleep for an hour or two at a time when you get a chance you wont feel the diffrence between night and day you just function the same at any time of day.

My 1000th post. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I finished work 90 minutes ago.

Best way to get back to days for me is to have a nap when I get home, back up around 4pm, do some stuff, then back to bed at a half decent hour like 10 or 11.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Well I used to work 15 hours shifts over night at the weekend. Best thing to do if you finish at 8am, like the others said is to go to bed for maybe four hours. It'll carry you through the day and you should be suitably tired by the night to get to bed at 10 or 11

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Tommy Vercetti

I work nights occasionally, I'm used to it at this stage so I can easily go without sleeping for a day or so if needs be. It helps that I get a few hours sleep when I'm in work anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

i think the main point here is that everyones different. i know people who go on 5 or 6 hours sleep a night. If i dont get 8 or 9 hours im not my sparkling self

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

I usually work between 60 and 85 hours a week.

I guess that included nights too!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Barbie_666

Originally posted by lee_baby_simms
    i i know people who go on 5 or 6 hours sleep a night.

i can go on 2 - 3 hrs.....but im full of energy!!!:D

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

during the week i get up at 6am, at the weekends i work from 10pm till 6am...

i just stay up on the sunday till about 8-10pm and sleep then, i'm fine for monday!

Advertisement