Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local Elections

Options
  • 16-05-2004 4:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭

How will you vote in the upcoming Local Government Elections?

I feel that it would be unhealthy to continue the 75-year tenure of FF-majority councils. Most of the corruption in this country goes on in the town/county hall in respect of planning-decisions, if what we have heard from the Flood/Mahon Tribunals is anything to go by.

I will probably vote for the PDs or Independents but definitely not for Labour, SF or the Greens. I object to Left-wing parties because I feel that they are wasteful of taxpayers' money. I feel that taxpayers' money at local-level should be used more efficiently, especially via the outsourcing of traditional local-government services such as bin-collection to the private-sector, and the Left-wing parties oppose this.

What do you think?

How will you vote in the Local-Elections? 59 votes

Fianna Fail
    0% 0 votes
    Fine Gael
    16% 10 votes
    Labour
    11% 7 votes
    Progressive Democrats
    30% 18 votes
    Sinn Fein
    6% 4 votes
    Greens
    20% 12 votes
    Independents/Others
    13% 8 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Arcade, you must be gutted that there is no BNP type party to vote for. I mean, out of that bunch who is going to keep Ireland for thr Irish?

r

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭arcadegame2004

MrPudding, your post is the latest example of the "No" side in the Citizenship referendum tarring all the "Yes" supporters (55% in the Red C poll in today's Sunday Independent) with the "racist" tag. Racism is not my grounds for supporting this amendment. If I were, then I would be opposing legal-migration via work-permits, which has allowed 150,000 migrant workers to come here legally - instead of living off the State. I do not believe in the superiority of a race above another or others. However, people like you are not going to be convinced because you substitute namecalling for rational argument and I guess I'm just going to have to realise that. I doubt the moderate majority share your outlook.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

i dont know who im goin to vote for,
    tbh i havent heard what any of the other party's plans are(well except for FG and their lower insurance "promise" )so i dont even know if ill bother voting.....

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Local elections are very different to the General elections in that I vote for the local councillor who I know will get things done around my area.

Anyone that knows me on this board will know I'm a SF supporter and I will be giving them a vote, but my preference in my local area will be for the councillors I know will actually get off their ass and try to get and things done.

It doesn't really bother me if their FF or FG as long as the local area they represent gains from their election.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Tommy Vercetti

Originally posted by arcadegame2004
    I object to Left-wing parties because I feel that they are wasteful of taxpayers' money.

Would you care to enlighten us with an example or two?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

I feel that it would be unhealthy to continue the 75-year tenure of FF-majority councils.

What areas have had FF-majority councils for 75 years?

I think local elections will be decided on local issues. The live register is at an 18 month low and government finances are strong - but we will still see an anti government vote.

It is not unusual for this to happen in local elections.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭chewy

i dunno if ill vote at all... ach i probably will

its there any logic in voting for the smaller parties/independents who ever they may be just to level the playing field...?

ill admit that the racist tag is thrown around a bit too much...

but i reckon arcade is pretty close to the line

if it not race that drives him his deciding on thing purely on money and tax terms makes me pity hiim as if that the only thing to consider in government and life

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

Labour and Green party for me.

I am opposed to bin charges and the posiblility of water charges at it is just a way of transferring much of the cost of services from the rich to the poor. Under the standard taxation system. the more income one has the larger portion of that income they pay as tax which is the fairest way. Under the bin charge system everyone with the exception of those who qualify for waivers pays the same amount. this means that the highest earners are only paying 0.2% of their income whilst the average earners are paying 2% of their income. its hardly a fair system is it. Its clear that the governments reason for bringing in the refuse tax are not environmental, they are not even economic but political. Refuse charges, college fees, price hikes from dublin bus, Increase VHI premiums, water charges etc are a back door routes into mass privatisation of all our public services.

The governments policy of "low taxation" is not really in effect low taxation. These stealth taxes are worth 3-5 more percentage points to the standard taxation system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

I feel that they are wasteful of taxpayers' money

Interesting observation. So spending money on the poor, disabled, on education for socially excluded and on the health service would be "wasteful".

Better spend in on redundant voting machines, horse boxes in Punchestown and fly overs at the Red Cow.

Jazus how could it be possible to have a meaningful discussion when someone is so blinkered and ill informed. :o

with the exception of those who qualify for waivers

There are no waivers available here in Meath. Amazing but true.

Better not let the pinko lefties in here or thr poor unfortunates might just get some relief.

Wouldn't that just throw McCreevys plans into turmoil ;)

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Valentia
    Interesting observation. So spending money on the poor, disabled, on education for socially excluded and on the health service would be "wasteful".

Better spend in on redundant voting machines, horse boxes in Punchestown and fly overs at the Red Cow.

Jazus how could it be possible to have a meaningful discussion when someone is so blinkered and ill informed. :o

couldnt agree with you more. people have just become too comfortable these days as a result of the celtic tiger. they now think that progressive economic policies that ultimatley serve the interests of private companies are more important than policies that provide for the people.

What I mean by the Left-Wing parties being wasteful of taxpayers' money is their deeply-engrained opposition to privatisation and their preference for "Big-Government", whererby the State intervenes too much and throws money at every problem or more than needs to be thrown at it.

For example, their opposition to the privatisation of refuse-services in Dublin. I think that the taxpayers' interests are better served when the contract for this service is put up for tender. Under EU-rules, when this happens, the bidders offering to provide the service for the lowest price is supposed to get the contract, irrespective of what country their company originates from. I think this ensures better value for the taxpayer than a local-government or national monopoly with no competition and as such no incentive to become more efficient with their expenditure.

"couldnt agree with you more. people have just become too comfortable these days as a result of the celtic tiger. they now think that progressive economic policies that ultimatley serve the interests of private companies are more important than policies that provide for the people." (Angelofire)

I strongly dispute the claim that there is always a contradiction between the interest of a private-sector company and those of the consumer. The fall in call-charges after Eircom was privatised, and in air-fares after Ryanair was allowed to compete with Aer Lingus show that it can actually result in a more efficent service for the consumer. And at local level I feel that the privatisation of some local-services can also result in a cheaper service in terms of the amounts of taxpayers' money being expended on those services.

Valentia, I don't accept the implication of your statement that somehow the Left have a monopoly on concern for those groups. I too am very concerned for those groups.

The efficency of a public service depends on how well its run by the government. this government isnt famous for running are public services. well that doesn`t mean a private company should take it over- thats just a lazy form of governing. Having public services means that the government is obliged to provide health, education and a decent transport system to everyone. A private company will reduce the service as much as possible so as to maximise their profits.

The EU rules you are referring to arcardegame2004 are called the lisbon agenda. something this government is keen on pushing as they want their friends in the multinational corporations to make a profit out of essential public service. The lisbon agenda was planned by the CRT who are made up of major international corporation such as FIAT, Carlsberg and Vodafone. What gives them the right to orchestrate european economic policy. we elect leaders not multinational corporations.

"A private company will reduce the service as much as possible so as to maximise their profits." (Angelofire)

Alternatively, they may maintain profits by slashing waste.

Valentia, I don't accept the implication of your statement that somehow the Left have a monopoly on concern for those groups. I too am very concerned for those groups.

What in the name of jazus are you talking about?

Do you read your posts before pressing "Reply"

How could anyone that read my post draw that conclusion?

And your post about privatisation is so full of wool and jargon it is practically meaningless.

Have you any idea of the real effect of Eircom's privitasation? It has been a complete disaster for the consumer from an infrastructural and value for money point of view. We have gone from having one of the best telecom systems in the world to one of the worst in a few short years. A chosen few have ran off with the millions, the millions that will never be invested in this country.

Look at the trains and water companies in Britain for examples of hoe "effective" your philosophy is.

I would suggest that you read "The Greatest Democracy Money can Buy" by Greg Pallast. It will give you a small taste of what the real world is like.

Oh and do a little more research. I think you will find that there actually is no right side or wrong side in this arguement, economically that is. Just people that think money is more important than people and those that don't. I'm one of the latter!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

And another thread is hijacked for use as a soapbox. I'd recommend brains on before posting.

The two extreme views that tend to exist with regard to public service provision are both wrong. A dogma that all public services should be provided by the State is as dumb as a dogma that all public services should be provided by private concerns. Let's look at the classic recent case in Ireland: that of Eircom. Before privatisation the company was a monolithic entity with a substantial monopoly, overstaffed, inefficient and without an ethos of providing a satisfactory service to citizens/customers. After privatisation the situation is exactly the same but with the added bonus that the company has undergone a period of asset-stripping and -sweating as well. Looking at the UK and the companies that were privatised at all costs in the monetarist eighties, some companies are better, most are worse and on the whole they've neither gained nor lost, though the cost of services from any of these companies is on the whole rather higher. I can provide links if required but I doubt anyone will disagree with the above obviously true assessment so I'll only do it if required.

I'm sick and tired of people making sweeping statements on this board and presenting them as fact without the copon to back up any statements presented as fact with actual facts. There's nothing in the charter against stupidity, which is rather a good thing in some ways as everyone gets their spake in if they like but is rather a bad thing in other ways as some of us have to wade through waste of space "but they might" posts[1].

Moving back to the topic at hand, examples can be found of public services that, when privatised, benefitted the State as bookkeeper, the citizens of that State and resulted in a more efficient service for those citizens. Conversely, examples can be found of public services that once privatised, cost the State an arm and a leg, screwed the citizens of that State financially and resulted in a service that could be described only as a laughing-stock. We've had limited privatisation here but these examples can still be found here on a limited basis, as well as a long list of examples internationally on both sides of the semantic argument, as without actual examples, that's what the argument is. Even with real examples, the argument might be esoteric but I'd rather have that discussion than a rattle-throwing session.

I'm not a member of any left-wing party, or indeed any party, so I don't know for a fact that Irish left-wing parties all have a deep-grained opposition to all privatisation of any kind. Obviously, neither do I know for a fact that they all haven'ta deep-grained opposition to all privatisation. Hence I'm not going to base an argument on the assumption of one or the other. Prospective posters would be well-advised to do likewise should they with to remain in a position where they might be taken half-seriously. It's your dime, spend it wisely.

Moving on to the actual purpose of a government, their ultimate duty has to be seen to be a duty of care towards the people they govern. It's not an absolute duty of care but neither is it an extreme libertarian lack of duty of care. Any good government should govern with a touch of utilitarianism, providing care and services to all who have paid for it, all who need it and perhaps a special consideration for those who really need it. This is a view that mightn't suit those who misinterpret Darwin's works and mistake what he actually meant by survival of the fittestbut people who still believe in a monetarist philosophy despite education that should indicate to them that they should know better deserve special consideration too.

And as for where the thread ostensibly started, I haven't made up my mind what to do with my vote in the local elections yet. Living in the middle of a city as I do, there's a touch of anonymity between local representatives and their constituents in the same way that there's always a touch of anonymity between residents and their neighbours, moreso than in suburban or country areas. I'm sure they're available if needed but the government of central Limerick obviously has quite a bit of input from those in less central wards and consequently it's a little more difficult to decide who's actually good and who's not in the absence of actual personal contact with a particular representative. I've known a few representatives from other wards for quite some time as I was in college with a few of the more able ones but none of them are in my ward so I've not decided.

edit: As Velentia said in the last line of his post above, there isn't an economics answer that can prove that privatisation is inherently better or that state-funded is inherently better. It depends on the particular case involved and the requirements from a particular service with regard to the potential changes wrought as a result of privatisation. Vagueness on such a topic with an attached assertion is a waste of good electrons.

[1]"But They Might" posts are fine as a means to demonstrate that an answer can't be verified one way or the other. It doesn't demonstrate the opposite position to the original post to be any more correct however and no sane person would actually change an economic or fiscal policy on the basis of a "but they might" view, though the current Irish government has done it a few times

Well I went for election to the local Town Council last time out and got elected. I have been involved in community work for years and particularly with the local arts groups trying to get a theatre/arts centre.

I was asked by our local Fianna Fail minister to run for Fianna Fail. My conscience wouldn't let me even though I knew that with their power base here it would be the best route to go to progress the project.

Labour asked me and because I like what they stand for I accepted. We don't have our theatre but we have €500,000 committed to the project and the promise of a site from the County Council. It's interesting to read the Fianna Fail local election literature. You would sware that they have done all the work and that they have been behind this project from the start. But hey, that's politics and we are getting our theatre so we'll live with the crap.

I won't bore you all with all the reasons why a theatre is now on the agenda, but pressure from the people, the tourism sector (tourism has grown ten fold in four years), and the appointment of a new County Manager who is not a philistine have been contributary factors.

The last five years have been facinating for someone like me who was described by a lecturer in college as apolitical.

The political games, the way central government starves local authorities of cash so that it can dictate policy and the brutish lust for power on every board (VEC, Health Board etc) is stomach churning. We asked the Dept. of Environment for a loan of €5m to resurface the roads and footpaths. They wouldn't give it unless we brought in paid parking. So much for autonomy.

Anyway I could go on. One thing I will say though, and I believe this intensely, is that if Fianna Fail didn't have strong opposition on local councils I fear for what they would do.

Needless to say my canvas( no pun intended) has grown well beyond the theatre issue. If anyone saw the Primetime programme on the building of a hotel near Trim Castle they wouldn't know, because for some reason they didn't mention it, that I was the only person in the town to pay my €20 and object.

Now with the local elections coming up the anti hotel bandwagon is filling with outgoing and prospective councillors.

Politics is mighty crack!!

P.S. I would urge people to inform themselves and vote. I does make a difference. Not voting helps maintain the status quo. I suppose if that's what you want, fair enough.

Alternatively, they may maintain profits by slashing waste.

To be honest i would rather have my income tax pay for the public service than see a private company get rich out of the waste i dispose. Im not apposed to all privatisation. it wasnt a bad idea to break up telecom. i just think essential services such as waste disposal, transport, electricity, water works, education and health care should remain in the hands of the state. that means everyone can get access. for example a private company operating our bus service would not give concessions to schoolchildren and the elderly.

• Advertisement

State-owned monopolies, including in the electricity sector, are generally a bad idea. I If I am dissatisfied with how much the ESB is charging me, then I want to be able to choose a different supplier. The Left would deny me that right, thereby imposing higher prices on me. I don't see how that helps anyone, especially the poorer members of our society Labour always claim to champion.

On the health-care issue I say that the lack of return for the 50% increase in investment in the Health-Service (as shown by Niamh Brennan's report) is testament to the tendency of State-owned companies to waste money.

I would have no problem semi- privatising electricity so that people may turn to other companies for a wider choice. But i do think that the esb should still exist so as to provide electricity for non profitable areas.

You may find this strange but I haven't met one person on the canvas who brought up privatisation :)

Is this thread about Local Elections?

Well Valentia, a lot of voters don't necessarily reveal their true feelings on certain issues to a candidate knocking on their doors, and prefer to just hear what he/she has to say, and tell him/her what they want them to say just so they'll go away, imho!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Originally posted by Valentia
    Is this thread about Local Elections?

Well, the topic says it is, but other than that.....

jc

Well Valentia, a lot of voters don't necessarily reveal their true feelings on certain issues to a candidate knocking on their doors, and prefer to just hear what he/she has to say, and tell him/her what they want them to say just so they'll go away, imho!:p

Really? Jeez I must remember that. Can't wait to go out this evening armoured with this incisive observation.

Thanks arcade. Any other tips you can pass on :o

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

LOL so true, my ma used to tell anyone who came to the door looking for a vote she would vote from them just to get some peace, but now she just stops them before they start to rant and says she will be on holidays when the voting is taken place.

Any politican that believes what they hear on a doorstep needs to open his eyes and ears a little more.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,414 ✭✭✭✭Victor

State-owned monopolies, including in the electricity sector, are generally a bad idea. I If I am dissatisfied with how much the ESB is charging me, then I want to be able to choose a different supplier.
    Just shows you how much you know about the industry - prices are going *up* to facilitate competition. How does that suit the consumer? "Wahoo! I can get a bigger bill, bit it will be on different paper."

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Originally posted by Victor
    Just shows you how much you know about the industry - prices are going *up* to facilitate competition. How does that suit the consumer? "Wahoo! I can get a bigger bill, bit it will be on different paper."
    Ah but if we had competition in the electricity market, we wouldn't have to worry so much about workers demaning 20% company stakes and 25-30% insanely high wage increases, as we do now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I'll probably vote Greens first preference with some hesitation. Although I like that they're against the tide of putting poison into food in the name of profit, I'd be a bit worried that they wouldn't have sufficient expertise to make decisions on healthy food. For example they seem to adopt the "GM is bad m'okay" attitude (not all GM is bad, without GM diabetics would still be injecting themselves with pig insulin you hemp-wearing eejits). They adopt the stance that vegeterian food is best, but I don't agree with this, not for everyone anyway. I like having a focus on providing unrefined foods though.

Likewise I like that Labour acknowledges the problem with alcohol, but will they try to solve the problem through even more regulation (not in favour of this) or through actually encouraging alternatives to going on the piss? Maybe even force pub owners to reduce the prices on soft drinks/bottled water.

Advertisement