Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is every1 suddenly buying an N-Gage?

Options
  • 16-05-2004 10:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 jarmstrong

n-gage QD games will work on the n-gage.

the only advantages of new new n-gage are that it looks slightly less crap and you don't need to take the battery out to change game cards.

The original n-gage is actually better in some ways though - it has a radio and mp3 player.

Why exactly do you think it is rubbish?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Originally posted by smiaras
    What exactly is so good about it???

It looks like your talking into a ham sandwich?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 jarmstrong

- its a smartphone
    Despite the ridiculous "side talking" its actually a pretty good phone. I don't have one myself, but i have got a 6600 which uses the same operating system (symbian series 60) and the whole interface is pretty slick. You can get loads of programs off the net for series 60 devices (see handango.com for example).

- it plays games
    There aren't too many games out for it, but the ones available aren't too bad. I was quite impressed by the graphics in Pandemonium. It is certainly a lot more powerful than the GBA, and a world away from the crappy java midlets that most phones can only run.

- it plays mp3s
    - it has a radio

It doesn't have a camera, but then i rarely use the camera in my 6600.

Other than the industrial design being a bit sh!t, i think the n-gage has been unfairly slated.
    Long before it was out the US games mags had decided they hated it (maybe because US people aren't really into phones?) Cue lots of angry 14 year olds posting on forums about how much the n-gage sucks. And so a bandwagon was started...

As i said i don't own one myself. I don't play games very often and i preferred the case of the 6600. However i think it is a pretty good phone and very good value at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

I got one and i like it
    A:Free games via ....intorweb etc etc wink wink
    B:In built radio
    C:In built mp3 player
    D:You can install an xvid/divx player and watch stuff on it
    E:You can stick in a 256mb card for v little

tbh i wanted as a media player which when you commute alot is a godsend.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭Myg

Also with Bluetooth connected to a network, you can share your internet connection to your phone and use it as a seperate MSN/ICQ/yahoo/jabber machine with agile messenger. You can get internet browsers on it that are fairly decent and you can use it as a remote control (volume and the like) with media players. You can easily upload backgrounds to it from pictures and its also a USB drive. Its quite a versitile thing, i dont understand how people are put off by the talking thing, it does come with a stereo headset. You must be damn insecure with yourself to care about how you hold a phone btw.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Yiu can get the same features on a cheaper nicer looking phone. Also most of the games are crap and theres nothing exceptional. I'd have a 3310 and a GBA SP with Fire Emblem, Advence Wars or Mario 3 over the N-gage anyday. Anyone who buys one is an idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭chabsey

Originally posted by Retr0gamer
    Yiu can get the same features on a cheaper nicer looking phone.

You can get a phone that has:

1) A stereo MP3 player
    2) A stereo Radio
    3) A decent (for a mobile) gaming ability
    4) Sybmian OS and all that implies (apps etc.)
    5) The ability to watch movies
    6) MP3 ringtones
    7) A handsfree headset
    8) 70/80 euros of call credit free
    9) Bluetooth
    10) Multiplayer gaming via bluetooth/the net
    11) Ability to connect via bluetooth to a home wifi network

all for LESS than 99 euros on ready-to-go?!??!

Show me that phone!

Or will it be a case of "Well actually the phone I was talking about only has an MP3 player, costs twice as much but has a camera so that cancels out everything else the N-gage has!"

Yes the N-gage looks like a dog but I plan to use it as a secondary phone and to mess around with it's capabilities. I mean as an upgrade with O2 you get 80 euros call credit so basically the phone is eventually only costing you 19 euros.

But you must be an idiot to buy a phone with all that functionality for that price...right? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

Actually I got the premium upgrade of the phone for 99 and 120 credit came with it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

they're goin for €100 with 60 credit, thats why my brother got one, i like the option of a 128mb card on it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

There skanger phones. Every scumbag in Dublin has one.

Seriously, there such a gimic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

It's really just how incredibly cheap their getting and all the call credit.

Most of the functions like the MP3 playback are ****e. You cant fit more than a handful on the thing anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭n1ck

Originally posted by BLITZ_Molloy
    It's really just how incredibly cheap their getting and all the call credit.

Most of the functions like the MP3 playback are ****e. You cant fit more than a handful on the thing anyway.

Put a bigger mmc card into it and you can fit a good few.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Originally posted by Retr0gamer
    Yiu can get the same features on a cheaper nicer looking phone. Also most of the games are crap and theres nothing exceptional. I'd have a 3310 and a GBA SP with Fire Emblem, Advence Wars or Mario 3 over the N-gage anyday. Anyone who buys one is an idiot.

Name it FANBOY!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

The negative features of the device are:

- Loading mechanism for the games, i.e. you are the mechanism byu removing the back
    - The side talking crap
    - Some people don't like the keypad layout for games
    - Some people down like the screen size

If I was going to buy the n-gage, the games wouldn't be the incentive. The other features listed above is enough.

1) A stereo MP3 player
    2) A stereo Radio
    3) A decent (for a mobile) gaming ability
    4) Sybmian OS and all that implies (apps etc.)
    5) The ability to watch movies
    6) MP3 ringtones
    7) A handsfree headset
    8) 70/80 euros of call credit free
    9) Bluetooth
    10) Multiplayer gaming via bluetooth/the net
    11) Ability to connect via bluetooth to a home wifi network

Add the ability to use emulator such as the Gameboy one and you got yourself a very comprehensive feature list for less than 100 euro...

I will be ****ed if you can find a better value for money device than that!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

nearly everybody who buys one is gonna have a phone already so a lot of people wont be bringing it out with them. But with 60/70 euro credit, what have u got to lose, tbh i think people are stupid not to buy one. Just spend a few minutes searching n-gage in google and its value will rise and rise when u see whats out there 4 it.

Plus there £159.99 ( yes sterling! on amazon.co.uk, and without any credit)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭n1ck

Originally posted by jesus_thats_gre

- The side talking crap

I talk into it normally and people on the other end can hear me fine and i can hear them grand.

I got one on thursday but everytime I try to access the music player it says Music Player System Error. Anyone know whats up?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

Well, when i saw the topic name, i was coming in here ready to flame and yabber on about how crap they are. but the price point and the range of stuff it can do has turned my opinion around :)
    I might get one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭crowl

Maybe you carry a gameboy around with you but as far as i know most people dont. The Ngage has more features than the two of those put together aswell. Yes it might not look the best but as nick said you dont need to do any of that sidetalking crap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭long_b

I just bought one a couple of days ago too ...

I'll still use my GBA SP for gaming on the go, and my big ass mp3 player
    for long trips but sometimes you just don't want to carry it all around with you ...

Voila the N-Gage.

Let's face it - you'll always have a phone with you ...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

Screw it. €100. I'm getting one.

I've been shopping around for a decent phone and the only thing that met my standards was approx €350 - €450 depending on where you went.

At that price and with those features, I'm getting one. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

Might as well wait a couple of months for the QT. The original model is pretty natty by comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Boro

Originally posted by Darko
    I got one on thursday but everytime I try to access the music player it says Music Player System Error. Anyone know whats up?

Hold down the app/menu button (the button beside the radio one) and a list of programs running should pop up (like if you did alt+tab in windows). Press C (the delete button) to close a running application. I find that if i have another mp3 program or movie app running that i forgot to exit from, that makes the music player shortcut not work properly.

Idiocy lies in the mind of the beholder (must be all the eyes!). The Ngage is a damn good device. Stop thinking of it as a phone, and instead as a 'game deck' (at least thats how nokia describe it) and you might change your mind. The ngage is actually really good. I bought it for its gaming and general gadgetiness, but now i am actually using it as a phone. The headset that comes with it means you dont have to take it out of your pocket to answer calls on it, it has voice recognition so you can dial people on it without taking it out of your pocket either. You have the radio and mp3 player, which you can change songs/stations just by pressing the button on the head phones.

Its only problems as i see it are that the battery isnt necessarily the greatest and that you definitely need to upgrade the memory to see the best of it. I bought a 256mb mmc and now i have it packed full of goodness. I have a load of java games on it (splinter cell, prince of persia etc), a game boy emulater with roms (super mario bros etc), a MAME client with some games, 12 ngage games (they are out there), an ICQ client, a XVID player (with the Finding Nemo movie currently on it - nice qual), several mp3s (for when the radio is boring), a beer tracking client (!) and a cocktail making encyclopedia.

All in all, its a well cool bit of kit for €99.

Advertisement