Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenals achievment

• 16-05-2004 11:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭

Now, since this is my thread, i should be able to point out some things

Gam PTS WON DRW LST GlsF GlsA GlsDf
    1. Man_Utd 38 91 28 7 3 97 45 + 52 99/00

1. Arsenal 38 90 26 12 0 73 26 +47 03/04

Ok, so the year united won, they got more points, more wins and had a better goal differene, this is just putting things into context now for the arsenal fans.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭iasc

and your point is....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭henbane

Well done UTD. Wait, that was how many years ago? Get over it... it's like Liverpool fans who can't forget the glory years mean nothing when you're talking about current form.

Arsenal achieved something special this year. Utd acheived something special that year. Why can't you acknowledge Arsenal's acheivement without harping on your own team's glorious past? Both teams deserve respect for what they did but it's the end of this season and Arsenal deserve every plaudit they're getting.

If you want to discuss Utd's glory years why start a thread with Arsenal in the title?
    since this is my thread
    Does that mean everyone should agree with you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Harry2001

Originally posted by iasc
    Now, since this is my thread, i should be able to point out some things

Gam PTS WON DRW LST GlsF GlsA GlsDf
    1. Man_Utd 38 91 28 7 3 97 45 + 52 99/00

1. Arsenal 38 90 26 12 0 73 26 +47 03/04

Ok, so the year united won, they got more points, more wins and had a better goal differene, this is just putting things into context now for the arsenal fans.

You seem to be missing the point of Arsenal’s achievement

From your example:
    Man Utd Lost 3
    Arsenal Lost 0

Any chance of creating a separate forum for Man Utd fans so they can bleat on and live in the past and the rest of us can discuss Arsenal’s achievement for what is really is

5 years ago, not that long really, i've been told that if i want to discuss uniteds achivements compared to arsenal achievements then i should start my own thread, and ur hijacking my thread, so if you want to discuss people not letting things live in the past, then i suggest you get ur own thread and leave this one alone...thank you

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Originally posted by henbane

If you want to discuss Utd's glory years why start a thread with Arsenal in the title?

Its a common and rather immature trait in alot of soccer fans.

If I started harping on about Forests 42 game unbeaten run and the fact the won the European Cup 2 years running and then compared them to Utd, Liverpool or Chelsea of present, I'd be laughed out of it.

Why? Because those Forest teams are long gone. The Utd team you are talking about are long gone.

And the point of the matter is, for 38 games NO team was good enough to take a win off Arsenal in the league. in 99/00 3 teams managed to get the better of Utd.

Who has hijacked your thread? Just because we don't all agree with you doesn't mean your thread has been hijacked.

the point i was trying to convey is that in the last 5 years in my opinion a greater league win was made by united, that is they won more games and got more points, there is a big difference between 5 years and 20 odd years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 635 ✭✭✭johnor

United did have a good year that year, imo arsenals season this season is better....think sheringham had a simliar season to what henry had tho..he was amazing that season, maybe missed out on some praise due to his age and the fact that he left united after that....Anyway, If the pointof this thread was to compare Arsenals 03/04 season to United 99/00 season in terms of league, 1-0 arsenal. To go a season unbeaten is better than gaining 91 points, and winning 28 games. I hope i got the point of your thread and wasnt 'hijacking' it.

to go a season unbeaten is not as good as 91 points, if arsenal had drawn every game and ended up with 38 points, would that have been as good?

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Ah, now THIS feels more like the soccer board!

Originally posted by kaids
    Ah, now THIS feels more like the soccer board!

:D Yes welcome back board I wondered where you had been

sorry lads can u keep the posts on-topic..thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

It is a great achievement . They also managed not to lose a few games at the end of the 02/03 season (was it 4) and will probably grind out a few in 04/05 for an all time record unbeaten streak in the top flight. ISTR AC Milan have some similar multiseason record from the early 90's to aim at there.

It probably does not rank as a uniseasonal achievement with the MU 1999 treble but to listen to the Mankie fans you'd think they had more European Cups than Forest do.

I think MU will have to rebuild in depth, starting with a new manager , before they get beyond the QF stages in Europe again . Ferguson peaked 5 years ago, get over it and move on.

Wenger will send the same team out in August that he has now and will spend nothing (relatively) in the summer , there is clever management for ya when the purse strings are tight.

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

to go a season unbeaten is not as good as 91 points, if arsenal had drawn every game and ended up with 38 points, would that have been as good?

Thing is they didn't. The best way to look at it is Arsenal won 26 games more than they lost. In ManU's 91pt season they 'only' won 25 more than they lost. Percentage-wise then as least Arsenal did better than Utd even if they did get 1pt less. The fact that they managed to lose 0 out of 38 just cements the significance of the achievement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

but to listen to the Mankie fans you'd think they had more European Cups than Forest do.

or as many as Liverpool :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Would they have won the league with 38 points?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

How hard is this to understand [snipped - no point in naming people who cannot defend themselves here now is there - Gandalf.] Whoevers troll account you are

Man U 99 Lost 3
    Arsenal 04 Lost 0

If you were to argue that the treble was a greater acheivement, like normal Utd fans then youd have not only a leg but a wooden box to stand on. However, Your argument hinges on details that are not in questions (pts??) which starts me wondering how you managed to get access here.

Originally posted by Axel
    Would they have won the league with 38 points?

no, thats my point...just because they went unbeaten doesnt mean you win a league, its winning games that wins you a league, and united won more games in 99/00 than arsenal did this year, so thats why i think uniteds league years was betetr, regardless thats they lost 3 games

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Dustaz
    How hard is this to understand Muppet/Tinky/Draupnir/Whoevers troll account you are

Man U 99 Lost 3
    Arsenal 04 Lost 0

If you were to argue that the treble was a greater acheivement, like normal Utd fans then youd have not only a leg but a wooden box to stand on. However, Your argument hinges on details that are not in questions (pts??) which starts me wondering how you managed to get access here.

*sigh* your going on about the fact that the achievment is so great ebcause they didnt lose any games, im saying that if they didnt win or lose any games in a seaosn, it wouldnt have been such a success, because its the winning of games that wins the league, therefore i think utds 99/00 win was better because they won more games, and im putting arsenals achievement into context.......

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Do you actually realise how hard it is to go a season unbeaten in the league? To go the whole season without any team being better than you on the day.

The rearity of the achievement should be a clue.

Hyzepher

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

no, thats my point...just because they went unbeaten doesnt mean you win a league, its winning games that wins you a league, and united won more games in 99/00 than arsenal did this year, so thats why i think uniteds league years was betetr, regardless thats they lost 3 games

They won the league without Losing a game. I has not been done for over 100 years.

Get over it.

Originally posted by Axel
    They won the league without Losing a game. I has not been done for over 100 years.

Get over it.

Yeah so what...thats not what this thread is about, its about putting there achievement into context with uniteds trebble winning season in the league, i'm comparing, and in my opinion its not as good, so you my friend axel, can get over it

I dont think you can compare the two - both were great achievements. For different reasons.

Hyzepher

of course you can compare the two

by the looks of this thread - obviously you cant. It's far too subjective

Hyzepher

of course you can compare the two
    Why the hell do you want/have to? They were both excellent achievement.

BTW, going a season unbeaten even if you draw all the matches is still an achievement.

Team by team the present Arsenal side is far superior to the United team of 99

United won the trophies but Arsenal 2004 are a much better team to watch IMO

• Advertisement

they may play superior football, but it doesnt mean the team is superior

they may play superior football, but it doesnt mean the team is superior
    :D the best team in the world plays better football then anyone else, no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,313 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Team by team the present Arsenal side is far superior to the United team of 99

You are joking right ?
    A team that collected more points in winning the Premiership ,won more league games,scored 20 more goals in the league, won the FA cup and the Champions league all in one season.
    That team are far inferior to Arsenal ?
    Arsenal are a good team and play nice football .
    Fair play to them winning the league and I as a Man Utd fan commend them on there achievement.
    However the Utd team of 99 was better.
    Arsenal have based their success primarily on a solid defense .

Originally posted by MisterAnarchy
    You are joking right ?
    A team that collected more points in winning the Premiership ,won more league games,scored 20 more goals in the league, won the FA cup and the Champions league all in one season.
    Fair play to them winning the league and I as a Man Utd fan commend them on there achievement.

at last someone that understands

Originally posted by MisterAnarchy
    You are joking right ?

Records and statistics aside I just know who I'd rather pay to watch and it is the present Arsenal team, no question in my book

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭talla

right i've had 3 users report this thread. Iasc you were warned yesterday, you would think you would have the kop on to lay low for a while but no you can't even do that. banned!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

iasc, first you went into dustaz's thread and went weh weh man u are better. You got shouted at for trolling, and people generally laughed at you and thought you were an arse.

but did you shut up? No, of course not, you go and start a whole new thread to go weh weh man u are better. I dont support man united, or arsenal, but I can still say that arsenal are a much better side then united, at this moment in time. And I also believe that they're currently the strongest side in the world.

Really,can you not simply sit down,shut up, and accept it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Iasc please shut the f*ck up. Its idiots like you that give us proper Utd fans a bad name. You should be worrying about this season and how many points we finished behind Arsenal. Also with losses against Wolves,Fulham,Southampton and Middelsborough to name a few. Your starting to sound like a pool fan going on about past glorys. At the end of the day Arsenal did not loose a single premiership game and if you've ever played footy instead of watching it you'd know that, thats an amazing achivement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Thread closed and iasc banned from Soccer for good.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement