Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When is Luas gonna start?!

• 16-05-2004 3:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,449 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know when this thing is gonna start? The website is useless!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

June for Sandyford line and August for Tallagh line. Not sure of the exact dates. Something tells me that it will be late in each month - there seems to be a lot of finishing off work to be done on both lines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭rs

The radio mentioned end of June for Sandyford line and end of August for Tallagh line last week. I'm guessing the 30th or so of each month :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Steve Conway

As far as I am aware:

39 days
    948 hours
    56886 minutes
    3413177 seconds

from the time of this posting. Roughly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

They are testing on the Sandyford line all day. Even in the morning it doesnt cause any delays( I know i'm going to regret that statement)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

26th June afaik.

I can also tell you that the software for the ticket dispensers is only being installed around 10 days earlier, due to the start date being pushed forward a few times.

"Oh what fun it is to ride....."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,474 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by seamus
    26th June afaik.
    Isn't Dubya in town that day?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭vinnyfitz

Ain't he hiding in Dromoland rather than Dublin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

is there a chance the track will bend?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭vinnyfitz

Apparently people who were involved in the project a few years ago are being invited back to go on a invitation only ride next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

Originally posted by SheroN

?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Originally posted by SheroN

Not on your life my hindu friend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭maxheadroom

Originally posted by Stekelly
    Not on your life my hindu friend

What about us braindead slobs? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭silverside

You will be given cushy jobs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭Duffman

The ring came off my pudding can....

use my penknife, my good man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭West Briton

Never mind, my American fixated fellow posters. You can have a taste of rail free car based transport any day for a hour and a half getting out of Lucan.

Feel like a rugged individual as your coffee in your Thermos Mug goes cold!

Watch Royston's posters with "Drive" on them on the N4 while you wait to inch forward at two miles an hour!

Watch the Traffic Police enforce a 40MPH limit on traffic going the other way!

And then add up just how much congestion costs you and the business that you work in.

Multiply that figure by several million.

Luas isn't in the Springfield Monorail place by a long chalk in comparison to all that wasted time, money and energy in traffic jams that in Ireland it isn't politically correct to talk about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭fjon

Sorry to drag up an old thread, but...

This is in the Indo today:

"Free-dom of the Luas for pensioners

SENIOR citizens will be able to avail of free travel on the Luas, it was confirmed last night. (...) Trial runs on the Sandyford to St Stephen's Green line, expected to open for travel at the end of next month, are under way. "

That last line worries me - the end of July? Or did they just get it wrong and should that actually be the end of June?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Steve Conway

They just got it wrong.

To duplicate what I said in another thread:

Saturday 26th June is the intended opening date - some possibility that it will be pushed back to Wednesday 30th June, because An Taoiseach would not have the free time to attend and get covered in glory on the 26th, due to the Bush visit.

To add more detail:

Really, they would like more time for finishing off, but there is immense pressure to have this line opened in June. And it will be.

Line A - The Tallaght or "Red" line, is another matter. This is falling behind schedule, as they have not yet completed the first trial run to Connolly (they have only been as far as Abbey Street), after which *at least* 3 months of testing are needed.

Compare it to the Green Line: the first end to end run was March 15th, giving 3 and a half months before opening for full testing. Think of how much more complex the Red line is, with an enormously greater number of road junctions, and a very significant amount of on-street running.

Personally, (and this is my own uninformed opinion only) I could see them opening the Green Line on schedule at the end of June, thus taking the heat off, and the schedule for the red line then slipping back to September/October.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭lynchie

Originally posted by Steve Conway

Line A - The Tallaght or "Red" line, is another matter. This is falling behind schedule, as they have not yet completed the first trial run to Connolly (they have only been as far as Abbey Street), after which *at least* 3 months of testing are needed.

Line A only goes as far as Abbey Street. Is it not Line C that goes from Abbey Street to Connolly. They have done a few full runs from Tallaght to Abbey Street but they have not begun full testing as they are doing on the Sandyford line.

I think as far as connex are concerned, line A+C are both "the red line" - there won't be a distinction between A and C.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

The trams were running up and down the Naas Road and right up to the canal today. Traffic was very heavy in the area but I think it is due to construction activity on the road.

Advertisement