Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

media ownership

• 16-05-2004 6:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭

trying to do up something on media ownership...

anyone know of any good sources

have found few meself and made a good start but im unsure of a couple of things

unison.ie has a least of indepedent new and media papers... but it also seems to have a coupe of papers that i understood to be part of the anglocelt newspaper group... does this mean unison/the indo group just distriutes them or owns them to

inm own the people newspaper group does that mean the own the northside people etc

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭mneylon

I'm not 100% sure what you are trying to do.
    If you are interested in Irish media owners then you should definitely be looking at TCH, who own one of the largest portions of Irish media.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Please post any corrections or further titles and/or owners…

Independent News and Media own the Irish Independent, the Sunday Independent, the Evening Herald, and local and international publications. (INM is at least partly owned by Dr. AJF O'Reilly, who is its Executive Chairman) (http://www.independentnewsmedia.com/)

TCM (http://tcm.ie) control BreakingNews.ie, the Irish Examiner, the Sunday Bus. Post, the Evening Echo, the Kingdom, the Sligo Weekender, the Waterford News, the Western People, the Carlow Nationalist, the Kildare Nationalist, the Laois Nationalist, the Newry Democrat, and the Down Democrat.

The Irish Times Trust independently controls the Irish Times. (http://www.ireland.com/about/p_trust.htm)

News International (http://www.newsint.co.uk/) controls the Sunday Times, the (London) Times, the Sun, the News of the World, and more. News Corporation (http://www.newscorp.com/) owns News International, the Murdock family are often accused of overly interfering with the public company’s print publications as well as broadcast outlets.

The Scott Trust own the Guardian Media Group plc which owns Guardian Newspapers Limited which owns the Guardian, the Sunday newspaper the Observer, and other media business. (http://www.gmgplc.co.uk/gmgplc/scott/scottintro/)

At this link http://www.londonfreelance.org/owners/index.html, you should find more owners of media, with a UK focus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Genghis

Others to consider:

Leinster Leader Group - the largest regional newspaper group not yet taken over by either an Irish national group or a British media group. They publish titles in Kildare (Leinster Leader), Laois, Offaly (Leinster / Offaly Express) and Limerick (Limerick Leader, Limerick Chronicle) and Dundalk (the Democrat), iirc.

Scottish Radio Holdings - control Kilkenny People, The Nationalist & Munster Advertiser, Tipperary Star, Leitrim Observer and Longford Leader. They also own all of Today FM, FM104 and A Cork station, I think. Might also be involved with Beat FM in SE.

UTV - control 4 local stations, Q102, Corks 96/103FM and Limerick Live 95FM - rumoured to be eyeing Bay FM in Galway. They obviously also own UTV, a very substantial commercial TV station on both sides of border, and UTVip, one of the country's most valuable new media assets.

Dennis O'Brien (Radio 2000 Ltd, possibly other companies too) practically controls the rest of the Dublin Radio market - 100% of 98FM, control of Newstalk 106, 100% of East Coast Radio and a stake in Spin 1038.

You Mentioned Anglo Celt - these are owned by Dunfermline Press a Scotish Group with a subsidiary Celtic Media Group who through 3 acquistions in 2 years have built up a nice belt in the Midlands area - Anglo-Celt, Meath Chronicle and the Westmeath Examiner Group (The Westmeath Examiner, The Westmeath Independent, The Offaly Independent).

This is an interesting article the outlines the regional papers still in private / family hands. You can expect some of these to go to groups such as Celtic Media, SRH, TCH or the Independent Group before the end of the year:

Sunday Business Post

Finally look in to 3i. They are a British speculative media group who tend to buy up media assets, bundle them and sell them after approx 5 years for substantial capital gain. They have some association with titles in NI, and in Donegal, and might be interested in becoming more active in the ROI. There are many British media giants besides the one you mention - Capital Radio Group, EMAP, UKRD, Guardian Media (many radio stations along with newspapers), SRH, etc.

Originally posted by chewy
    thanks for all the help Genghis and monument. Isn't boards great the way people give freely of their time to others to help them out with work and stuff. The leas I could do is say - You guys are great.

Hey, no problem chewy, glad to be of service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 785 ✭✭✭zenith

Originally posted by monument
    Please post any corrections or further titles and/or owners…

TCM (http://tcm.ie) control BreakingNews.ie, the Irish Examiner, the Sunday Bus. Post, the Evening Echo, the Kingdom, the Sligo Weekender, the Waterford News, the Western People, the Carlow Nationalist, the Kildare Nationalist, the Laois Nationalist, the Newry Democrat, and the Down Democrat.

TCH (at www.tch.ie) is the owner of those titles. TCM is its new media division. It also owns part of Red FM, NWR and MWR, as radio interests, and new media interests include RecruitIreland.com and Motornet.ie: it recently also purchased the Roscommon Herald, and owns the Irish Post in the UK.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Originally posted by zenith
    TCH (at www.tch.ie) is the owner of those titles. TCM is its new media division.

Woops, mixed up my links & names.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭chewy

emm g-guy was that a sarky message there...???

where that come from i hate when people get all agro over nothing (erm does that sentence make sense)

i havn't been online, im grateful of the help and ill get back ta yas in couple of days now im finshed college and really try finish this off

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

TCH (at www.tch.ie) is the owner of those titles. TCM is its new media division. It also owns part of Red FM, NWR and MWR, as radio interests, and new media interests include RecruitIreland.com and Motornet.ie: it recently also purchased the Roscommon Herald, and owns the Irish Post in the UK.
    Bloody conglomerates. :)

Out of interest, do we have percentage of market rules over here like the (laughable) ones they have in the States? And was the storyline in the recent West Wing (where the FCC increased the percentages to effectively /catch up/ with the conglomerates) about this true? I know they increased the figures last year.

adam

OK, an explanation.

I had put some amount of time and work in to the post. At the time of my 'sarky post' I felt that one week later was plenty of time for you to post a 'thank you' or at least an acknowledgement of some sort. I had suspected you might be busy with college, which is why I checked if you had been on boards in the meantime (and you had been). I therefore felt a little sarky comment was more than appropriate.

No agro intended (apologies), though, in fact I am happy to learn that you will be using the info. Good luck with the exams and (sincerely) if I can be of more help, let me know.

"g-guy"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

All that is being mentioned is commercial media.

There is also state and community media.

A co-operative was set up recently to establish a community television channel for Dublin next year. The co-operative model is a very good system for running any form of media, as it prevents the Denis O'Brien types from taking over.

• Advertisement

I agree monkeyfudge, lets not forget the wonderful case of Kilkenny radio where a very successful and community-operated radio station was not renewed their licence in favour of a private commercial consortium. My bet is that once the 2 year moratorium expires we will see the new station sold to a media group.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

oh yes, monkey, thats COMET or something, isn't it??

Saw the place in the new Near FM studios... interesting indeed.

Flogen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I'm actually the co-ordinator of COMET (Community Empowerment Television) We're only going to act as a content provider for DCTV (Dublin Community Television, to give it it's working title.)

Both COMET and DCTV are run by co-operatives.

I remember being very annoyed when NEAR fm was asked to change frequencies to make way for Radio Ireland.

Originally posted by monkeyfudge
    I remember being very annoyed when NEAR fm was asked to change frequencies to make way for Radio Ireland.

when was that? I've only been going to Near for the last while, don't even have a show or anything, I just use the studios for practice.

Flogen

Originally posted by dahamsta
    Bloody conglomerates. :)

Out of interest, do we have percentage of market rules over here like the (laughable) ones they have in the States? And was the storyline in the recent West Wing (where the FCC increased the percentages to effectively /catch up/ with the conglomerates) about this true? I know they increased the figures last year.

adam

The Competition Authority/Minister has to approve all purchases, taking into account ‘‘relevant criteria’’:

[2002.] Competition Act, 2002. [No. 14.]
    Pt.3 S.23 (a) the strength and competitiveness of media businesses
    indigenous to the State,
    (b) the extent to which ownership or control of media businesses
    in the State is spread amongst individuals and
    other undertakings,
    (c) the extent to which ownership and control of particular
    types of media business in the State is spread amongst
    individuals and other undertakings,
    (d) the extent to which the diversity of views prevalent in Irish
    society is reflected through the activities of the various
    media businesses in the State, and
    (e) the share in the market in the State of one or more of the
    types of business activity falling within the definition of
    ‘‘media business’’ in this subsection that is held by any of
    the undertakings involved in the media merger concerned,
    or by any individual or other undertaking who or
    which has an interest in such an undertaking.

But no, there's no hard and fast numbers, afaik. Only the Indo Group seems to be constrained at the moment.

FWIW, in the US, I don't know: but if you're interested in the issue, you should look at the growth of Clear Channel, since they're the boyos who probably did the movin' on.

Originally posted by monkeyfudge

There is also state and community media.

Most media have community roots: it has always been the way. The Irish Times, the Irish Independent/Freeman's Journal, the Cork Examiner ... they're all rooted in nationalism, unionism or some other -ism that has been and gone.

Hilarious list of old newspaper titles from Mick at p45
    http://www.p45blogs.net/blog_snorkeller/archives/001746.html

I particularly like the "IRISH TURF TELEGRAPH AND DRAMATIC GAZETTE" ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,511 ✭✭✭✭Victor

FWIW, in the US, I don't know: but if you're interested in the issue, you should look at the growth of Clear Channel, since they're the boyos who probably did the movin' on.
    Clear Channel have stakes in the Point Depot and the new venue being proposed for the south Docklands. This may or may not herlad a movement into other media.

While there is a difference between content and communication providers, you also need to take into account the area of telecoms - eircom (associated with Tony O'Reilly), Chorus (associated with INM), EsatBT, ntl, and Sky.

Also note that BBC, UTV and C4 (especially E4) have Irish interests.

Originally posted by Victor
    Also note that BBC, UTV and C4 (especially E4) have Irish interests.

I know of UTV's interests in Ireland, but what interest does C/E4 have, and how is it manifesting itself so far?

Flogen

Insofar as they are tailoring advertising to the Irish market. Ultimately this also them tailor content also.

Clear Channel have stakes in the Point Depot and the new venue being proposed for the south Docklands. This may or may not herlad a movement into other media.

They also have something to do with either Madonna or Slane, as I discovered today. Clear Channel Entertainment is listed at the bottom of an ad for the Slane gig in the paper today

Flogen

• Advertisement

Some details on TCH / TCM

http://home.eircom.net/content/irelandcom/topstories/3394187?view=Eircomnet
    Thomas Crosbie to outsource its web ad space
    Tuesday, 15th June, 2004

Thomas Crosbie Media, a division of the newspaper group which owns the Irish Examiner, is to outsource the selling of advertising space on its various websites.

Thomas Crosbie Media, the web-based subsidiary of Thomas Crosbie Holdings (TCH), is set to appoint Dublin firm Sales Online as its agent.

An official announcement is expected within days.

Thomas Crosbie Media owns 15 websites, including the Irish Examiner and Sunday Business Post sites.

Apart from news-led sites it also owns recruitireland.com, motornet.ie and rugby.ie. The remaining sites belong to the various local newspapers owned by TCH.

TCH does not publish a separate profit-and-loss account for its web division but the latest move indicates that it would like to see increased advertising revenue coming from this source.

Competition among web-based companies is fierce and many Thomas Crosbie Media sites are facing significant opposition.

For example, motornet.ie has to compete against the well-resourced operation of Car Buyer's Guide.

According to the Joint National Internet Research figures for 2003, Thomas Crosbie Media had two sites in the top 10: recruitireland.com and examiner.ie

Sales Online has several high-profile contracts including Myhome.ie, Ticketmaster, USIT and Yahoo.

Nobody was available from the company yesterday to discuss the Thomas Crosbie Media contract.

Founded in November 2000 by Mr Simon Ferguson, Sales Online describes itself as "the leading supplier of digital advertising in Ireland".

TCH, which owns the Irish Examiner and Sunday Business Post, recently announced plans to sell its Academy Street premises for approximately €30 million.

The company also announced plans to close its printing operations in Cork city and outsource this activity to a new printing firm in the Mahon area of Cork.

Oh, yes, just on the lesser known magazine titles, yer man that owns (owned) In Dublin has a rake of titles, as do Smurfit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Clear Channel is both a concert promoter, media owner and media space seller. It has about 1,200 radio stations in the USA, a venue/promoter business and other advertising media business (outdoor advertising etc). Clear Channel own the Point venue and are the promoters of the Madonna tour. In ireland it is a joint promotion with MCD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 340 ✭✭legofsalmon

Just like to say thanks to all of you.

I'm hopeing to study media at 3rd level now, and all this is really fascinating and has put a lot of shape on the bits and bobs I picked up from here and there.

Also, the COMET/DCTV station is something that I find extremely exciting. Just mainly for the fact that it is local and will hopefully open more doors and opportunities for people like me who wish to become involved in broadcast media, ( NearFM providing the other local outlet ).

Thanks again guys, and keep up the good work I suppose! :)

Oh, yes, just on the lesser known magazine titles, yer man that owns (owned) In Dublin has a rake of titles, as do Smurfit.
    http://home.eircom.net/content/irelandcom/topstories/3626908?view=Eircomnet
    Casey leading MBO bid at Smurfit magazines
    Tuesday, 20th July, 2004

Smurfit Communications, the largest consumer magazine publisher in the Republic, is the subject of a management buy-out bid led by chief executive Ms Norah Casey.

The company's parent, Jefferson Smurfit Ireland, is believed to have agreed to sell the company's seven titles to a management team led by Ms Casey.

A spokesman for Smurfit Communications confirmed the move last night, but declined to put a value on the deal or say how it was being financed.

The company's 42 staff were informed of the changes yesterday and told their jobs would be safe. A spokesman said only legal hurdles now needed to be cleared.

The group is one of the best known magazine publishers in the State, publishing the titles: U, Irish Tatler, Auto Ireland, Cara, Food and Wine, Woman's Way and Auto Woman.

Of these titles U is the flagship, with an ABC circulation figure between July and December of 2003 of 52,376. This was bettered only by the RTE Guide.

The second biggest selling Smurfit title is Woman's Way, which boasts a circulation of 30,638.

Accounts for Smurfit Communications are not broken out separately by the parent group but the company is believed to be moderately profitable.

Since Jefferson Smurfit Group was taken private following a deal with US private equity house Madison Dearborn, assets considered non-core, like the magazine business, have been readied for sale.

It is understood several publishers considered purchasing the Smurfit titles before, but decided not to proceed.

Ms Casey's long experience in the magazine sector is believed to have been a crucial factor in bringing the deal together.

The magazine publisher found itself embroiled in major controversy in 2002 when Ms Casey admitted some of its circulation figures were inflated by up to 30 per cent.

Advertising agencies were greatly angered by the disclosure and Smurfit Communications agreed to get an ABC audited circulation soon after.

The overstatement was discovered in February 2002 by Ms Casey, who began an internal investigation.

Following the controversy, Ms Casey resigned from her position as chairwoman of the Periodical Publisher's Association of Ireland. Ms Casey's resignation letter blamed the "difficult and complex" issues coming out of the overstatement of circulation for her decision to resign as chairwoman.

"My determination is to ensure that all the magazines we publish are put back on the best possible footing, and that no one will need to question the accuracy of any information in relation to them in the future," she said.

Advertisement