Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soldner Beta

Options
  • 16-05-2004 6:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,580 ✭✭✭✭

This has been out for a while and Im just wondering what everyone else thinks about it?

Play seems to be fairly laggy for me and im getting d/ced a fair bit but this could simply be down to ****e servers, the game itself is promising enough if you allow the tactical mayhem on servers to be simply the result of public players just messing around. Graphics are good, but whole ranges of trees and bushes can jump in and out of sight as you move - i dont know if its the engine or lag but it makes driving at high speed along a tree lined road rather awkward as you can swerve into a tree that literally wasnt there 2 seconds ago.

Deformable terrain is excellent - Snipers hiding in towers can now find the whole tower collapsing around them as enemy tanks and helicopters bombard them. There is a wide variety of vehicles - everything from tractors to jet fighters, though my first go at flying a blackhawk ended badly - Couldnt figure out how to control the thing so I jumped out and plunged to my death. On the other hand running down enemies in a lada is a good laugh.

Pace of the game, as i said is chaotic - maps are huge so if youve not got a vehicle youll be walking a long way, often just to get shot by a hidden enemy. Public play tends to get into a mish mash of skirmishes between 2 or so players all scattered out over this huge map because you can take just about any base and everyone has a different idea of which base should be taken. They could have stolen an idea from UT2K4 onslaught and ensured you could only take bases in a particular order so as to keep play condensed to taking or holding the next objective. Map doesnt seem up to much either - its hard to figure out where you are on the thing, and which direction youre facing, which doesnt lend itself to intuitive play.

Advertisement