Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metallica: Hetfields writing vs band writing.

• 16-05-2004 10:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭

Ok so we've all listened to St.Anger a trillion times by now.What do you think of the writing vs Hetfields sole responsibility on previous albums. The writing tends to not have as much bite as before.Ok hes all 'better' now or whatever, but it was the moody, pissed off Hetfield that inspired all those great songs, lyrically at least.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Havent heard StAnger, to be honest the last metallica album i heard was the black album, BUT i was a huge fan.
    I think a lot of these guys reach a stage in their life where they have wife, kids etc and they just 'mellow out'. Inevitably this affects the music. Personally i thought they lost it ten years ago but what the hell do i know...

I was talking to a guy at a party a few weeks ago who saw them in the top hat Dunlaoire on the puppets tour of '86 weeks before burton died. They had bite then i tell ya!

So was he an alco or what? i think i remember hearing he was in rehab...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 410 ✭✭Drazhar

ST Anger sucks donkey balls in my opinion. Listen to it. Every song is 4:50+ and its just one riff the whole way through, no time changes, no melodies, no rythm. Seems like they took everything Cliff Burton ever told them about music and fecked it out the window.

Hetfield seems to have lost the plot a bit as regards the writing and stuff, but i have faith, the new Megadeth album will blow everyone away!! ;)

MEGADETH???? I thought they split?

Last album i heard by them was called euthanasia and iT sucked...BIG TIME!

Peace Sells is a classic though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Originally posted by ether
    Ok so we've all listened to St.Anger a trillion times by now.

what! i couldnt listen to it more than twice and i love some of their other albums but this one is awful

Originally posted by tuxx
    what! i couldnt listen to it more than twice and i love some of their other albums but this one is awful

hahaha!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 917 ✭✭✭carbonkid

Originally posted by lee_baby_simms
    So was he an alco or what? i think i remember hearing he was in rehab...

i was at the last gig they did here and the audience were pissed they didnt play whiskey in the jar as they always do for the irish crowd, heard its cause hes a recovering alco

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Metallica have been dying a horrible death for years. Yet they get more and more popular. Go figure.

Originally posted by carbonkid
    they didnt play whiskey in the jar as they always do for the irish crowd, heard its cause hes a recovering alco

selfish tosser. Someone shoulda flung a flagon of linden at him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Originally posted by lee_baby_simms
    I was talking to a guy at a party a few weeks ago who saw them in the top hat Dunlaoire on the puppets tour of '86 weeks before burton died. They had bite then i tell ya!

Heh heh heh, he must have had good hearing and a powerful telescope to see them from Dun Laoghaire cos Metallica played in the SFX in 86. They played the Top Hat in 88 on the AJFA tour ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭NightStrike

Originally posted by carbonkid
    i was at the last gig they did here and the audience were pissed they didnt play whiskey in the jar as they always do for the irish crowd, heard its cause hes a recovering alco

Probably more to do with the fact they hadn't rehearsed it since 1996/1997 and Rob was only in the band a couple of months and probably wouldn't know it at all. They said they'd play it this year though, whether they do or not time will tell.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Doctor J
    Heh heh heh, he must have had good hearing and a powerful telescope to see them from Dun Laoghaire cos Metallica played in the SFX in 86. They played the Top Hat in 88 on the AJFA tour ;)

i stand corrected...said the man with the orthopedic shoes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

i'm no longer a 'tallica fan, but i was at the last gig and I was thrilled when they didn't play whiskey. it's a good lizzy song but i don't like that metallica (or any ther bands) feel they have to play certain songs because they're in Ireland, **** that.. it isn't even a great song.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 410 ✭✭Drazhar

Megadeth didth split up, Mustaine took some time out cos his arm was fecked up, but they are back, new album in september, check teh website for a new track, not bad, kinda heavy.

Youthanasia was a good album, nothing like Peace sells, Rust in Peace or Countdown (essentials to the metal CD collection of anyone who thinks they know about metal). Sold a sh1t load. The World Needs a Hero was their last album, i liked it, nice echoes of Rust in Peace on it.

As regards Whiskey, i feckin hate the Metallica version of it, was delighted they didnt play it, was actually delighted with the playlist at the concert last year, almost none of their more questionable stuff, and finishing off with One, well, that just made it. Im still a die hard Kill em All to Black Album Metallica fan, but their newer stuff, im very skeptical of

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,892 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

in all fariness, metallca lyrics are in general, bollox. its really the music that made them great and now that st anger is out they have just become ****e becuase not only are the lyrics ****e, the music is too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 407 ✭✭niallith

nah megadeth did split up, dave was told he could never play again ever, dont u think if they just took a "break" theyd hav the same lineup as 2001, but now they hav totally dif ,dave,chris and 2 new guys
    re-mixes of all there albums out 27th july afaik
    megadeth r most consistant band wit releases ever imo!
    about metallica,theyve ben going down since after black album,they got way to commercial and stuff with interviews and whatnot ,st.anger was bad :/ very bad but they stil hav the talent to bring out somthin great like old albums but theyve changed alot cause of james i think

Originally posted by niallith
    dave was told he could never play again ever

perish the thought...;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

Originally posted by Einstürzende
    Metallica have been dying a horrible death for years. Yet they get more and more popular. Go figure.

You called it on that one, dude.

As for listening to St. Anger a trillion times..i listened to half of it once, now when i want a good laugh i stick on 'shoot me again' and have a good chuckle.

c'mon shoot me again, i aint dead yet!!

For sheer comedy value you cant beat it :D

and you cant beat the whole 'KILL KILL KILL' crap they have goin on. like they are tryin to sen hardore or somethin but its just cheesy and crap

Originally posted by Deadwing
    You called it on that one, dude.

As for listening to St. Anger a trillion times..i listened to half of it once, now when i want a good laugh i stick on 'shoot me again' and have a good chuckle.

c'mon shoot me again, i aint dead yet!!

For sheer comedy value you cant beat it :D

i thought i was the only one
    myself and my bro put that on also and take the piss singing it :P

heh.. maybe I shouldn't have deleted my copy

• Advertisement

No Mordeth, you were dead right to do that.

If you could delete everyone else's copy worldwide we could all pretend that steaming turdfest had never been recorded. :D

heh, a friend of mine likes it... we just try not to mention it any more after what must have been hours of screaming back and forth how ****e/good it was :)

I find myself going back to it thinking "it can't really be that bad" but then 30 seconds later into Frantic all my worst fears are confirmed... again.

Funnily enough, it was kind of similar to the first time I heard Ain't My Bitch... taking the inlay out again to make sure the right music was on the tape and checking the lyrics thinking "This can't be Metallica?"...

realy you cant listen to more than 30 seconds
    even for comedy value?

Its not funny really anymore. the only thing funny is watching the live and hearing hammet sing.

I dont think Load/Reload are as bad as everyone makes them out to be though. the lyrics arent too bad and the music is good its just different to older metallica.

but that cant be said for the new stuff. they said they were going back to their roots and bringing back the 8 minute songs but these 8 minute songs just drag on and dont change. its the same ****e over and over. the older stuff had differnt parts ie master of puppets has the slow harmony part and then the really fast solo and what not. st anger has the same thing constantly.

Originally posted by tuxx
    realy you cant listen to more than 30 seconds
    even for comedy value?

Nah, I remember the days when Metallica meant something real. I find the new stuff unlistenable. Embarassing. There's nothing funny about the same band who wrote Master Of Puppets putting out devil brownies like Stanger. It's just plain sad and depressing.

ya i guess your right
    still listening to all the old stuff eases the pain

Yup, as long as I gots my first 4 cd's and Cliff 'Em All, I'll cope. The Megadeth remasters on the way helps too :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

A friend of mine said something the other day that made me think. He said "imagine if you were a kid just getting into metal nowadays, and you bought St. Anger as your first ever metallica album". God, some poor bastards are out there right now listening to frantic and thinking "God these guys are great!!! that 'tick tick tick tock' but is incredible!! And as for shoot me again, cest magnifique*"
    And dont say it couldnt happen, cause AJFA was my first metallica album!!
    (well, technically RTL was but i was only 10 and didnt really listen to it much)

*possibly what the kids are saying nowadays.

• Advertisement

for me metallica died the day hetfield walked out on stage with a mullet and sand a song called '2 by 4'?? or something.
    He actually looked like a plank of wood...maybe that was the angle...never thought of it like that.

what a bunch of seminal artists.:rolleyes:

Advertisement