Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tenants access rights...

Options
  • 16-05-2004 11:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone has any idea what a tenant rights are with regards to other people having access? for example i lived in a place once where the keys were those electronic cards and on 3 seperate occasions strangers had access.. ie one time i was sitting at the table and a ****in NTL engineer walked into the room and straight past me to sort out the cable without even seeing me!! said he was told the block was empty...

wat about the landlord? wat are his rights with access?

and do tenents have the right to add extra security? eg a deadbolt or security chain on the inside of the main door?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You are entitled to exclusive use of the premises in accordance with your agreement with the landlord. The engineer was trespassing.

Your landlord is only allowed access as detailed in your agreement.

Rather than fitting a deadbolt (easily openable by the wrong people and opens one side only, so not great if someone needs to get in in an emergency), fit a deadlock and / or a night latch. Tell your landlord you are doing this because of ongoing trespassing (as you will be altering his property).

Advertisement