Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Request] External HD Case

• 17-05-2004 12:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 820 ✭✭✭

Eh,

i'm looking for a usb 2.0 or Firewire external case for my samsung IDE 160gb drive... Any good deals going?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭talking_walnut

Ebay's your best bet. Got a case from there not too long ago. USB 2, supports up to 160gb. Cost me about the e30 mark. Firewire ones cost a fair bit more though. Still miles better value than any I've seen for sale in stores. They're usually at least twice the price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Maplins have one for 84 but every so often they have it on special at 64.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 820 ✭✭✭qBot

Thanks 4 the response lads... i took a look on ebay today alright.. they seem to have a number of types on offer. What type did u buy seker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

i got 1 in peats the other day for E75.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Marx computers have a choice of an external USB 2 case suitable for any IDE/ATAPI device for E55, or just for a hard-drive for E50. I went for the multipurpose case it has a cooling fan- the smaller one does not. It has to be plugged in seperately- and the fan in the case does make a background hum- not really noticeable if the PC is on, but annoying if you forget to turn it off.

www.marx-computers.com

Shane

• Advertisement

Getting one with a fan is a good idea.

thanks smc, but i want something that looks good too :). That aluminium one on marx doesn't look that great.. There are some nice cases on ebay alright. The one i was thinking of getting was this one. Although there was a lot more of em yesterday and they were a lot cheaper.

What's the story with the humming btw, i thought they all hummed.

I also have a little baby case with a laptop hard-drive in it- no fan at all, so the extra noise from this case was more noticeable to me.
    The reason I notice it humming is because its in my bedroom I guess, I have all the noise dampening maths and things so the extra bit of noise is noticeable from the fan. That said- its not loud, and its a bloody solid aluminium body- not bad looking at all. (My case is a brushed aluminium case, so they do match up nicely).

Shane

Maplins do an aluminiun enclosure too, but its cheap and nasty looking.

They can be noisy depending on the HD you use and the fan in the enclosure. Some fans and HD's are simply more noisey than others. I've a Seagate barracuda IV in one and Seagate barracuda V in the other. The latter is a lot quieter and cooler.

I went for the 80Gb Barracuda V as well- ditto to everything RicardoSmith said.

• Advertisement

Its funy because the IV is meant to be quieter than the V but mine isn't. The Samsung drives (I can't remember which one) are meant to be even better than the Barracuda V's, but my V is good enough for my needs. Mines a 120gb BTW.

Why do some enclosures have a lmited on the size of HD they take. I've seen some that say they only take >120gb.

Mine can be jumpered (the IDE to USB 2 circuit board in the enclosure) to modify the limitations on the size of the drive being accessed.
    I think it might have something to do with USB addressing- but I'm only guessing.

The reason I got the Barracuda V- I read the reviews (Toms HW etc) and then of course it was cheaper..... always a good selling point!

Thanks for the responses lads.. been busy studying for exams so i haven't been able to respond much myself. I think i'll get one of the ones off ebay if I spot a deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,837 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I got the one in Maplin for 65. It looks fine to me, but personally, I wouldn't care how it looked as long as it did what I wanted it to do. Which it does, I'm pretty sure it does any size hd too:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Ebonyks

They've got 3.5" USB2 enclosures from €15 to €30 in

http://www.success-hk.com

...a few other nice little gadgets too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,563 ✭✭✭savemejebus

isn't shipping really expensive with success-hk?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Ebonyks

I think there cheapest shipping rate is like €15 (Airmail). They go by weight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

komplett recenty got some new 1's in starting at E38 for usb2 3.5" ( http://www.komplett.ie/k/kl.asp?bn=10160 )

CombatCow

Originally posted by Combatcow
    komplett recenty got some new 1's in starting at E38 for usb2 3.5" ( http://www.komplett.ie/k/kl.asp?bn=10160 )

CombatCow

sweeet. that's what the type of deal i've been looking for.. looks good and seems to be quality made and it's from komplett.. nice..

Just ordered it there.. thanks for the tip-off combatcow.. I had checked the site about a fortnight ago and they didn't have anything under €70

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭[nicK]

i was thinking of getting a Maxtor OneTouch external hd instead of buying a seperate case and hd. There suppose to be a lot quieter, and they look better.

Anyone know if there's a normal hard drive in the Maxtor OneTouch? Could i take it out and stick it into a pc? Or are there any other cons to getting an external hd like the maxtor?

Success have their drives on special now. Ordered a 2.5 and a 3.5 USB2 case. Will let you know about them when they arrive. Total came to less than 50 for both, including shipping- I can live with that!

Shane

Originally posted by Scrappy]-[Nick
    i was thinking of getting a Maxtor OneTouch external hd instead of buying a seperate case and hd. There suppose to be a lot quieter, and they look better.

Anyone know if there's a normal hard drive in the Maxtor OneTouch? Could i take it out and stick it into a pc? Or are there any other cons to getting an external hd like the maxtor?

Buying a complete unit like a Maxtor is a lot more expensive. Thats about it. Other than theres no difference. Noise wise and looks wise it depends what HD and enclosure you get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Sztraik

What about the plug?
    Is it american, UK, continental?
    I'd follow your lead if everything works fine with them... ;-)
    Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Sztraik

What about the plug?
    Is it america, UK, continental?
    I'd follow your lead if everything works fine with them... ;-)
    Thanks!

well.. i got my drive today off komplett. It's some sweet case. I was expecting something crude and a lot bigger, but the thing is tiny. I thought id made a mistake when i saw it first and order a 2.5" drive. The only thing wrong with it was komplett gave me the wrong mains cable. There were two included in the kit. One which came officially with the drive is one of those plugs with no ground prong that i think are popular in the UK or mainland. The other cable i think komplett included themselves and had the right plug to go into the socket, but the wrong one to plug into the case.. Small problem though.. I'm dead chuffed

Thanx to those who replied:D

Any pics?

Originally posted by RicardoSmith
    Any pics?

Here ya go. ;)

ooh thats neat. Nicer than the ones I have. Does it have an internal fan?

• Advertisement

nope, but the drive doesn't get as hot as when it was inside in the computer case. Atleast the case doesn't anyway..

Advertisement