Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Request] External HD Case

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Umm this is a photo of mine. I've two of these. Sorry the picture is so bad. Photo

I've two different drives in mine. Once gets warm the other a little bit warmer again. The unit has a little 40mm fan on the back. If I wasn't planning on having the drive turned on for a more than an hour or so I guess I'd be happy without a fan. But generally I leave mine running for hours. So I'd need a fan in that case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 820 ✭✭✭qBot

not too shabby..

mine has been running for hours now and it only gets a bit warm. I couldn't take having a fan in it.. My computer has three fans and it runs like an extractor fan.

Mines pretty quit as its a laptop. The external drives aren't very noisey either.

A bit off point but do u just turn the drive off when u don't want to use it or do u use the safe removal tool in the system tray. I read when right clicking on "usb 2.0 mass storage volume" in device manager that u don't have to use this when set to the right option... which i have. Has anyone got any views on this.

Originally posted by qBot
    A bit off point but do u just turn the drive off when u don't want to use it or do u use the safe removal tool in the system tray. I read when right clicking on "usb 2.0 mass storage volume" in device manager that u don't have to use this when set to the right option... which i have. Has anyone got any views on this.

I have an icon (green arrow) in the system tray from which I select the device I want to turn off. If I don't do this I can have problems with the USB device reconnection. This happens withall my USB devices I have aswell. If I'm leaving it connected I just turn it off after the machine powers down and before it powers up. Sometimes I forgot or don't both and I might have to turn the drive on/off once or twice before XP picks it up again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

I have this one link

love it! a little bit hot though

I also like this one link

this one is pretty good too link

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭dazberry

Originally posted by RicardoSmith
    Umm this is a photo of mine. I've two of these. Sorry the picture is so bad. Photo

Yeah, I've one of those, its an "i-buddie" (Elite Group?). Not the best, but was cheap at the time - and does the job, but I don't use mine much.

D.

Originally posted by RicardoSmith
    I have an icon (green arrow) in the system tray from which I select the device I want to turn off. If I don't do this I can have problems with the USB device reconnection. This happens withall my USB devices I have aswell. If I'm leaving it connected I just turn it off after the machine powers down and before it powers up. Sometimes I forgot or don't both and I might have to turn the drive on/off once or twice before XP picks it up again.

ya... that's what i'm on about.. but there is an option and it's on by default to not have to bother with it. u can supposedly just turn off or plug out the drive without touching the arrow.. i just wondered did anyone do this or do the always disable the drive from the green arrrow first.

Actually I found the answer here

Originally posted by qBot
    Actually I found the answer here

Useful to know. Thanks for the link.

• Advertisement
Advertisement