Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Judgement Day *spoilers*

• 17-05-2004 9:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭

Well it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Some of it was dire but u get that with all PPVs.
    Jesus there was some amount of blood in the JBL v Eddie match. Anyone else get the feeling that Eddie went truly mad at JBL for hitting him so hard with the chair by going equally as hard at the end?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭iasc

what were the reults, rajah is intolerably slow....i didnt watch it cos im studying for exams, i thought it wasnt worth it since it was smackdown...was it any good?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Hanza

The Heretics Review:

Opening Match:
    Dudleys V RVD & Rey Mysterio
    RVD did not turn on Mysterio as many thought. This match was steller, from start to finish, a good solid 15 minute plus match with many beautiful spots and invotaive moves. RVD and Mysterio picked up the win. 8/10

Dawn Marie V Torrie
    Before the match, Kurt Angle came out on this huge platform about 10 feet in the air, I didnt see why they had to do that. He stated that if Torrie lost, she would be fired. This match was utter pants, in more ways then one. After shouting random insulting comments at the screen, I lept to my feet when the strap on Dawns pants broke, revelaing her see-thru thong and almost bare ass. Dawn didnt seem to care, nore pull up her pants. It was excellent :) but the match was sooo bad, not even Dawns sweet naked ass was good enough to save it. Torrie rolled her up soon after for the win. 2/10

Jackie V Chavo
    Chavo got his hand tied with a black lace behind his back, it was obvious it was ment to be loose. The match was very stiff. 5 minutes into the match, Chavo classic undoes his sons arm on the sly. Chavo unleases some punchs and finally a Gorey special behind the refrees back for the win. 3.5/10

Mordecis debut
    Scotty to hotty came out, with a moderate pop. Mordecis entrance can be described as Chris Daniels mixed with the Undertaker Circa 1998. The match was short and nothing amazingly special. Modeci was very aggressive, using the ring posts constantly. A razors edge, and Mordeci wins.4/10

Hass and Rico V Hardcore Holly & Billy Gunn
    Rico did his trade mark ass grabs, Hass carried most of the match. The champs retain. Terrible match, not even funny, whihc is what you expected from Ricos antics. 2/10

Dupree V Cena
    This match lacked something, and I cant put my finger on what it was, mabey there was a bit too much punching and brawling. After a few near falls, Cena caught Dupree coming out of the corner in an excellent reversal into an FU. Cena retains the strap. 5/10

Booker T V The Undertaker
    As usual takers entrance was excellent with the mist filling the arena for the match. Booker atempted some hard hitting moves, and suprisingly Taker was selling quite admirably for his angle. Booker tried to use the grave yard dirt to blind Taker, but it didnt have any effect on the dead man, a missed Last ride, a sissors kick, a sit up, a tombstone and its over. Taker takes the win.5/10

Eddie Gurrero V JBL
    I have to say I was not looking forward to this match. As soon as the promo screen aired, both Gonzo and myself did ourl trade mark snoring noise to signify how much we didnt care about the up comming bout. I ate my words, this was probally the most underrated match of all time. JBL really did well and as much as his angle sucks, he can still mix it up.
    The match begun with alot of brawling out and in the ring, with both men really voilently exerting them selves. 15 minutes into the match when it looked like it was all about to end, Eddie ininvertinly hit the ref. The two left for the outside where JBL was thrown across the anounce table. From there he clocked Eddie with a chair shot so hard, the cring that shook right through me was only worsened by the sight of blood flowing in rivers down Eddies chest. It was vile. The match went on for 5 to 7 more minutes, with Eddie going from near unconscience to his over the top flamboint self. Almost like a blood stained Latino Hulk up.
    The canvis so more bloody then I have seen any where, any time in any federation. It has to be seen to be believed. The match got totally out of hand from here. JBL tried to nail Eddie with the title, but instead Eddie took it from him and hit it off JBLs head in front of the ref for a DQ.
    And it didnt finish there. JBL and Eddie brawled up and down the isle, and arond the ring for another 5 to 10 minutes. JBL now bust open fled for the back. I didnt want to see this rivalry go any further. Now because of this match, I really wanna see them but heads again. If you havent seen it, its on Tuesday 9pm. Dont miss this match. 8.5/10

Over all PPV:
    The good matches were GREAT! The bad ones can be over looked, there not important. The night started with an amazing match and ended with a better one. Deffinatly worth staying up for. Alot better then anyone thought it was going to be. Over all 6.5/10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭TheGreatOne

What a bloody main event!! That first chair shot was unbelieveable, I've never heard one as loud. Maybe eddie was pissed at JBL at first, but when he looks back he'll see that Layfield made Eddie look like one tough bastard. Jesus ive never seen so much blood, its impossible to tell exactly but i'd say eddie lost about 2 pints of blood last night, it literally never stopped flowing. The crowd was clearly in shock when they saw this, the "holy ****s" started up and justifiably so. There was a real sense of concern around the whole arena, and there were some great shocked facial expressions in the crowd. If you look at michael cole just after eddie clocked JBL with an unblocked chairshot to the head, you can see that he is really concerned for eddies personal health and he signals something to a ref to check him out.
    The match was great, it managed to capture my emotion which rarely happens in a main event, I really thought Bradshaw had the win on one or two occasions which would have really pissed everyone off, but when eddie got his sholder up i was jumpin out of my seat. The huge amount of blood that was spilt and eddies ability to get completely psycho no doubt made this match better than it should have been, but JBL managed to justify his presence in the number 1 contenders spot and his main event status, he really surprised me. I really liked the DQ ending too, something thats not the norm always works well. I'd really love to see this feud continue now, they could go in so many directions with it.
    Overall a good PPV imo, due to the opening and closing matches, Im definitly going to be watching the main event over and over again, it was awesome.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,973 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

i went in with the expectations of hating this ppv but i have to say ive eaten my words with JBL being one of the biggest surprises of all. Some of the PPV was crap but most of it was very entertaining with the first and particularly the last match as good as it gets. Im dying to see those matchs again, I couldnt believe it when i saw the rivers of blood come gushing down eddies chest in a split second, memories of the blood coming gushing out of the lifts in the movie 'the shining' came to mind, at that stage Hanza unfortunately had turned away at that moment but the replays on tuesday will show it all again. Id say Eddie definitely lost 2 pints of blood, there were numourous pools of blood around the ring and the ring itself was smeared in red like as if a lawnmower went mental on a crowd of zombies:) A very good ppv and one that has redeemed smackdown for me just a lil bit, interesting to see feud continue tho i doubt we'll see the pair of them in a match quite as bloody as this anytime soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Wacker

Did you guys notice the screw-up in the opening match?

About five or ten minutes in, Van Dam's music hit! Only for a couple of seconds, but it was still there. That told me that Van Dam was going to come out on top one way or the other, as they had his music cued.

Although I normally hate stuff like that, I thought the Rico stuff was actually kind of funny. Especially when he came back in after I believe the last tag. Before, he had been doing all his gay stuff, but after seeing the beating that poor Charlie recieved, he was all business. Nice touch.

I will go on the record right now as saying that Mordecai will NEVER get over with his current gimmick. Its good that he has loud music, as it covered the lack of crowd reaction. The company should only realise that such gimmicks don't work any more; the fans are only willing to accept Undertaker doing stuff like this because he is such a legend. Not too bad a match though.What I did like was him breaking up the Worm before it started in earnest. I hate that move. One of my friends (he doesn't read the net and stuff, so he couldn't have known) predicted thatr he would finish with the Razor's Edge, as it sort of looks like his emblem.

My god, that main event was brutal. Some clever ring-side fan may have been smart enough to go to ring-side after the show ended, where he would probably find a giant chunk of Latino-forhead. I've seen several Steve Corino matches, but I have NEVER seen blood like that before. My friends and I were counting down until he passed out. Also, I was really concerned that he would be too woozy to kick out on the near-falls. It always looks pathetic when the refs have to hide a worker failing to kick out.

One thing that has to be mentioned as adding to the show was the crowd. They were red hot, particularly for the main event. There were some great signs around ring-side, and if you see the replay, watch the dude with curly hair and an Austin T-Shirt in particular. He was doing funny stuff all night, including Razor's fist shaking taunt after Mordecai did the Razors Edge.

So, not the best quality PPV ever, but I loved it. The secret is: low expectations!

• Advertisement

Speaking of the crowd last night, did anyone see the skinny kid that kept punching himself in the face? :) I kept looking at him constantly punching his own face! WTF?

I agree with Wacker regarding Moredceis gimmick. Its not going to work.

Hanza

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Edgedogg

Yeah I seen that head case. I honestly thought that Eddie was going to pass out with all the blood he lost. He really is class.

Ya kinda knew who was going to win the opening match when RVD's music hit half way through, it was like they were getting it ready.

Rene impressed me last night. It wasnt the best of matches but it was quite good.

I was kinda hoping Chavo would break Jackie in half. Ah well, we can all dream.

I still hate Bradshaw after last night, he's too stiff, he repeats himself on the mic and he has a limit of like 4 moves. Eddie carried him for the whole match and if it wasnt for all the blood I'm sure the crowd would of fell asleep everytime Bradshaw was in control

There was also some dude ringside who was geared up like austin, he looked very like him except for his build, he was fat.

I dont know how the hell eddie didnt pass out, when he was first whacked he looked a million miles away sitting up against the security rail. If you look on the floor just after he gets up the first time, theres a sh1t load of blood there, the guys just a legend. And i really thought he wouldnt have had the where with all to kick out of those pins, cud have sworn bradshaw was actually going to WIN??

Ricos great imo, he really cracks me up and he still gets it done, too bad theres not many proper tag teams atm to get a good feud with.

Also agree with wacker, terrible gimmick. might have worked 10 years ago. Plus he looks like an absolute idiot. Im more looking forward to this crazy takomo suzuki dude or whatever his name is.

I couldnt believe that staples center was a packed house last night considering the card that was on offer when people would've been buying tickets. Although id say a lot just turned up on the night. just goes to show that US fans might see the smackdown brand in a different light than we do.

The 'blood bath' pic on wwe.com looks very cool i have to say, if you haven't seen it check it out.

I think Rico is very funny, but i dont get why he basically has Goldust's gimmick. Plus Goldust was in better shape and get wrestle more than Rico. Rico's ok but he needs to get into better shape and learn some moves instead of kicks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

I wasn't expecting the PPV to be that bad, becasue most of the guys on the card are decent wrestlers and they'd obviously raise their game for a PPV. So I was just expecting an average sort of show, hard to get into some of the matches though cos there hadn't been much buildup.

It was an alright show in my opinion, first show I had ever watched live by myself. I found myself taking an interest in Booker again over the course of the show, I haven't found him entertaining since he came to SD. Angle coming out of that box thing was a bit surreal....

First match was quite good, I enjoyed it.

Women's match was what we've come to expect.

Cruiserweight match wasn't great, although I like Chavo keeping up the cheating gimmick, Chavo Sr added a few nice touches. Still a bad match though.

Mordecai seemed a bit silly, I think. Carrying that cross around makes him look stupid, if he just came out without it I don't think it would make him look as bad.

Tag match was ok, I like Rico and Haas. Holly was probably the perfect guy for them to tag against, cos if you had to pick one homophobe off the roster, he'd probably be the one. Could have done with some buildup though.

Towards the end of the US Title match I just found myself waiting for Cena to win. It ended up seeming just like another run-of-the-mill title match on Velocity, where you know the champ will retain. Dupree is interesting me more and more, very surprising how well he conducts himself even though he's only 20.

Booker Taker match had most of my interest before the show, and it was nice to see Taker again. Not a great match really, but it came off ok. I've read that (spoiler)
    Booker is going to have a new gimmick which is like Papa Shango's old character, like a voodoo guy or something, so that kept me interested, Booker and his bag of dust
    . It was a bit pointless for Booker to hype up this bag, only for it to do nothing in the end.

Main-event actually had me falling asleep at the start. Bradshaw started getting in some offence and I paid some more attention, just to see if he really would be as crap as everyone was saying. As soon as Eddie bladed himself, I really started paying attention. I've never found a match that hard to watch in a good while. The way the commentary was gone just after the chairshot made it seem more serious aswell. Those two times that Vince bled like Eddie had me worried, but Eddie is a lot smaller than Vince, and a lot more blood was pouring out, so I was very worried. It made those final near-falls so much more exciting. I wasn't expecting Eddie to kick out a few times, I realise that they wouldn't just award the title to Bradshaw if he couldn't kick out, but I was so caught up with the emotion in this one that I was expecting Bradshaw to win a few times. I'm not complaining about the finish, I thought it was well done. It was just about as good as I was actually expecting, but the blood really added a lot more to it.

What would have made the PPV better would be one or two matches you'd usually see on Velocity, with the likes of Noble, Kidman, London and Shannon Moore. They'd more than live up to the PPV aspect of the match, cos they always put on excellent matches on Velocity.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,973 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

My top 20 wrestlers:

1. Chris Jericho
    2. Ric Flair
    3. Chris Benoit
    4. Triple H
    5. Eddie Gurrero
    6. Matt Hardy
    7. Jeff Hardy
    8. Edge
    9. Rey Mysterio
    10. Stone Cold
    11.Christian
    12. Undertaker
    13. Kurt Angle
    14. RVD
    15. Mick Foley
    16. HBK
    17. Randy Orton
    18. The Hurricane
    19. John Cena
    20. Christopher Daniels

Surely this is the wrong thread Gonzo?

I think Mordecai is about ten years too late, as would that Booker T thing be if it went ahead. But back to Mordecai, he as the Razor's Edge, he sounds like Bill Demott and has the gimmick of Chris Daniels. Thing is though, Chris can carry the gimmick

I cant say anything possitive about Dupree, that guy cant even lock up properly, he is so clumsy in the ring, and above all that I dont find him entertaining at all. I want him demoted to Velocity.

Eddie didnt actually blade, if you notice that the chair hit him totally unevenly and the thin strip of metal that supports the bottom of the chair hit him on the crown of his head, you cant bleed that profusley from your forehead without leaving a flap of skin, like Undertaker V Lesner in there hell in a Cell in 2002. You could see Takers skin laserated. Eddie was bleeding from either the top of his head or his temple, both of which are totally dangerous.

I still cant believe he did his Latino dance of death while bleeding to death. I have so much respect for that man!

Hanza

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

and yet has anyone's respect for JBL increased - no.

why - cause Eddie carried his worthless, talentless texan ass around that ring and made him look far better then he should off. And the finish to the main event - way to protect your new prodigy Vince!!!!

Originally posted by Ph3n0m
    and yet has anyone's respect for JBL increased - no.

Well, actually, my respect for him has gone up. Not a lot, but I was on some other boards this morning and it seemed that just about everybody has immense respect for him now.

Eddie did a great job, but he didn't carry the whole match, Bradshaw had some great reactions when Eddie kicked out, it certainly added to the emotion and drama for me.

I wasn't one of the people who doubted that Bradshaw could have a decent match beforehand, I've seen him long enough to know of his capabilities, and I got more than I expected from him.

But I don't want to see him hang around at the top for much longer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭jongore

Originally posted by Fozzy
    Well, actually, my respect for him has gone up. Not a lot, but I was on some other boards this morning and it seemed that just about everybody has immense respect for him now.

Eddie did a great job, but he didn't carry the whole match, Bradshaw had some great reactions when Eddie kicked out, it certainly added to the emotion and drama for me.

I wasn't one of the people who doubted that Bradshaw could have a decent match beforehand, I've seen him long enough to know of his capabilities, and I got more than I expected from him.

But I don't want to see him hang around at the top for much longer.

I disagree, JBL was ****e, he got some cheap heat by 'attaking' Eddies mother and this got him booed but the guy can't wrestle. The sooner he's buried and someone who can wrestle is given a push the better.

I don't know where you or anyone else could get the impression that JBL was even adequete.

This was one of the worst PPVs in history, two matches where O.K (Opening tag and Cena/Dupree) the rest was solid cr@p.

This PPV will be remembered for Dawn Maries ass and Eddie blading himself so badly not for any of the matches.

I think my feelings would be best summed up with a quote from a column I just read. The fact that I didn't want Bradshaw to win meant that I became even more interested in the match. If it was someone else, I mightn't have been so emotionally involved.
    The fact that I didn't want to see someone like Layfield beat someone like Guerrero for the belt so much made me have a vested interest in the outcome of this match. When you have such a big vested interest in the outcome of a match, and you want to see someone win so much, you tend to get involved, get excited, jump up and down and cheer like crazy. You become... engrossed.

The best part of the match was when Layfield was able to hide his weaknesses with title belts and chairs, but you can't say he blew his chance. The match was better than everyone expected, and although he didn't do a fantastic job, he did much better than expected in my opinon.

I went in with very low expectations for the PPV as a whole, and it turned out to be average, which was a pleasant surprise. Maybe others had higher expectations, or had just made up their mind beforehand that it would be crap, no matter how it actually turned out.

Eddie didnt actually blade

Not that its really important or anyhting but i think he did. I spent a while yesterday looking over the match rewinding and slow-mo and all that, and right after the ref gets knocked over by Eddie he puts his hand into his pocket,you can easily spot this. Then after Eddie throws JBL over the announcers table he goes back to hebner and clearly takes the blade off him, I actually think he thought he was caught on camera doing it because he says something to hebner then looks up at the titon tron and you can tell he's thinking "oh sh1t".
    Then after the chairshot he leans down by the bell ringers table for a few secs, and wrestlers only ever do this sort of move if their blading themselves, and emerges with blood pumping from his scalp.
    So maybe the chairshot busted him open but he had to have bladed himself aswell because of what he did after the chairshot.

I did see him taking the blade out, mabey he did use it, but the chair definatly did some serious damage too. If he cut himself he did a GREAT job, but mabey he didnt need to. IMO the chair did most of the damage.

Hanza

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Exit

I'd actually say that if he cut himself, he did a bad job to be honest. There's no way he would've meant to cut himself that badly.

Steve Corino would be proud of him alright :D

Hanza

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭jongore

Eddie spent the night in hospital as a precaution so he definitly didn't mean to cut himself that badly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭oneofakind32

I think pay per view was pritty damn good. I think taker and booker had better match then taker did at wrestlemania (which was a complete let down). As for Dupree the guy maid the match work well. He has come into his own caricter wise since moved to SD (i loved the renes cafe segment)
    JBL deserves credit alot of u had him down as a piece of **** before he got his chance to prove himself in the mainevent and i think he did that on Sunday night.
    Im only sorry i missed the openinf Tag match.
    I think that theres a balance forming between the two brands. After Backlash every was saying that judgement day would suck but think it was a different type of PPV. Some of the story lines were week but the matches were good and not short lived which seems to be a trait of the RAW brand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Magnolia_Fan

Angles Pope Mobile was cool lol I don't think Guerrero cut himself, I think JBL hit him way too hard..I've seen "The Chair Shot heard round the world" 100 times and the force of the shot Guerrero took was way worse...but fair play to Bradshaw he took a fair chair himself, not much hands going up at all. I thought when R.V.D left for Smackdown it would be a good thing but he's doing Tag matches again....Hurry up and put the strap on him.

I didn't think Judgement day was all that great overall, Chavo Classic is the man though. Holmes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Magnolia_Fan

I'd also like to point out that the guy dressed as Austin was actually at Wrestlemania XX he was actually a few feet away from me, there was also a Hulk Hogan impersonater but he was up in one of the top tiers...The Hogan impersonater was alot better and he picked his spot perfectly...He started his posing to the crowd and stuff during the Lesnar v Goldberg match so if you watch it again and you think you hear a pop during the match that was it

Advertisement