Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connecting PC To Router

Options
  • 17-05-2004 11:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

Hi,

I just bought a Mentor ADSL Router (sorry no model number than I can see).

I've plugged the ADSL cable in between the wall and the router, and the network cable between the Router and the PC. The PC has on board Ethernet on the mobo, and it is enabled in my BIOS. The router is DC powerred, and the only light I can get to come on is the POWER one, which is always on. No other lights show up, and the PC won't connect to the router. It always has the message "Network cable unplugged" beneath the LAN icon in Control Panel. I've tried switching the network cable, and plugging it into different ports on the router and restarting after doing so.

The manual is a bit pants and doesn't help, just says to press Quick Setup on the Driver CD menu, but this button loads nothing (although it shows up in Task Manager, it never arrives on screen or does anything).

I've successfully connected it via a USB port but, even then the Drivers will not install (even manually selecting them) and Windows will only recognise it an Unknown Device.

PC is running Windows XP Home.

Any suggestions?
    Tunga

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭shabbyroad

you need to check to see if the ethernet ports on the PC and Router are the same speed

some ports are 10mbps only , most auto-negotiate between 10/100mbps

I recently had a problem with a wireless access point that would only work when connected directly to my router, when I connected it to a hub (which itself was connected to the router) it wouldn't work. Problem was that the router could auto-negotiate between 10 and 100 but the hub only worked with 100mbps

Have you tried a different cable ? Sure it's not a cross-over cable or damaged in some way ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Tunga

I've tried two cables, and I checked that they are both normal (not crossover) cables so I'm pretty sure it's not that.

Router says it supports 10/100 Auto Selection so it should work.

I tried manually setting the IP and DNs but this had no effect. Also installed a 3Com PCI Ethernet card and did the same things on that port but nothing different happens. Still no light will come on other than POWER on the Router.

Sorry for triple post. Am going to take it to college and see if it works on the computers there.

More suggestions are welcome if anyone has any :) .

Advertisement