Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hacking DVD Players?

Options
  • 17-05-2004 11:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭

Hi im about to buy a region yamaha dvd s540 from a store in the UK

However they asked me did i want it multi-region i.e. add £20 extra

Did a bit of searching on the net and found the following hack

Does anyone know if this is the hack they would use in the shop and then charge me for it?

Also is this what retailers normally do i.e. do they also search the net for codes or do they have "some form of official way of making them multi-region?"

Also will i need to this evreytime i want to have multi region or is it a one time only thing?

1. Press the Open button on your remote control to open the drive tray
    2. Press the 9 button on your remote control
    3. Press the 9 button on your remote control
    4. Press the 9 button on your remote control
    5. Press the 9 button on your remote control
    6. Press the 1 button on your remote control for region 1, the 2 button for region 2, and so on, or 0 for multi-region playback

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭big_moe

that code might work but there is no guarantees. the shop are prob gonna put a chip in it to enable it to read multi region disks. when the chip is put in the warranty becomes void so if anything happens your kinda screwed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

You have to enter that code everytime you change regions, 20 isnt to bad to save you that hassle.

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Surely if you set it to 0 you wont need to enter the code again?

Some Region 1 dvds have special region protection (cant think of name of it) and need to be set to region 1 to use.

I know Charlies Angels has it and lots more since then.

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

That's Regional Coding Enhancement (RCE).
    Not all players are compatable with RCE discs in the first place. Afaik only Columbia Tristar release RCE discs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dwayneburke

Surely if you set it to 0 you wont need to enter the code again?

i would have thought that also,,,is this not true?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Mariana

I bought a DVD player for a wedding gift for a friend last year in the philips shop on dame street and georges street.

I asked them for the region free and they said that the player can do it but it would cost me €20.

So I said, "why don't you just give it to me for free or I won't buy from you since I can get the hack on the internet anyway and shop x have this player too". Or words to that effect.

They agreed, region free at no extra cost.

If your wondering what they were selling to suckers for €20.

A photocopy of the instructions how to do the hack.

Originally posted by dwayneburke
    i would have thought that also,,,is this not true?

Not always as some discs give problems, also getting it chipped disbales Macrovision.
    Imo get the chip.

Kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

theres a whole section on this with post from users who have tried these hacks, on good old www.dvdrhelp.com
    do some home work there, ive used a hack on mine crown dvd player and i worked on all dvd r1 and r3 ive used on it, so they do work in alot of cases

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

Originally posted by Mariana
    If your wondering what they were selling to suckers for €20.
    A photocopy of the instructions how to do the hack.

Thats crap. Most shops chip it for €20 only the most unscrupulous would just provide an instruction sheet. If they do try to fob you off with that tell them where to go, and take your money elsewhere.

Generally speaking these chip will either allow a region change automagically or with 1 or 2 key presses (some both). Not dozens.

Although since philips have always been notorious for their ease of handset hacking i'd think twice about getting a chip - I probably still would on balance tho.

Most shops that chip player would also cover the warantee themselves... if they dont go somewhere else.

Also as previously mentioned most R1 dvd's will not play when the players set to R0.
    It needs to be 'truely' R1.

All but the worst mod chips will have no problem with RCE disks.

NOT all mod chips will disable Macrovision. (Macrovision stops you recording your DVD's with your VCR)

• Advertisement
Advertisement