Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IBB in Bray

• 17-05-2004 12:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭

For anyone in the area who's interested, Ive just received the following from IBB:
    Dear Tom,
    Thank you for your interest in internet connections from Irish
    Broadband.
    Our Bray transmitter should be operational within the next 4 weeks, the
    date that I have for Bray going live right now is the 15th June.
    If you have any queries, please don't hesitate to contact me by e-mail
    or on 01 481 8400.

Kind Regards,

Damian Murphy Abbott
    Residential Broadband Sales

I'm on UTV BB at the moment, but I like to keep my options open.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Mr_Man

Anyone know where abouts in Bray IBB are setting up their transmitter, and what kind of kit they are using ? Chaz.....?

Thanks

M.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭iwb

Not sure what kit but I believe the transmitter is going to be at SouthEast radio, near the Boghall Road.
    Apparently Enniskerry is covered but Kilmacanogue isn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

i called IBB several times about signing up but they said i wasnt in coverage area although according to their Sandyford Industrial Estate, Leopardstown and Belmont, Galloping Green, Blackrock coverage maps i am in both shaded live areas. ????

How far will this bray station stretch north? Shankill? killiney?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Da Man

It would be interesting/funny if IBB has struck a deal to use East Coast FM's transmission network. Hotspots like Avoca could get broadband. In four weeks time of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭richardo

There was a lot of talk about this one last February on the IrelandOffline Forum -

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=141618

Back then, IBB were promising in 6 to 8 weeks, and they [IBB] were undecided between a site on East Coast Radio, or Windgates.

Great news if they have chosen ECR, as that will give coverage up the valley to Glencullen/Enniskerry :D

• Advertisement

Do you know where that ECR mast/transmitter is located, as a matter of interest?

I've just been on to Damian in IBB and he confirmed the middle of next month. He reckons the mast will be on the ECR site at Windgates.

When I broke down and cried [Windgates is out of my line of sight] he said they were also looking at a second site in North Bray which would do me, but that it would not be for some considerable time.

So back I go to my 11Kbit [yup - eleven. I just tested it] high speed connection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Cryos

How far will the windgates unit track? (to delgany etc..))????

Do you know if they have any plans to move futher south in the kilcoole direction

No idea. They said they were concentrating on the Cork/Bray areas [that covers a lot of ground!!]

Why don't you give them a buzz???

PM sent Richardo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

yeh just off the phone to them

there is one on the east coast radio transmitter at windgates.

i think it's outta my sight aswell because i can't see it from my house.

stupid positioning tbh

putland road area btw

I presume that's the smaller of the masts at Windgates? I'd be surprised if that mast even clears the crest (particularly taking the Freznel zone into consideration) so it probably won't cover Greystones and beyond either.

And the plot thickens.........

IBB are now talking about a site on top of Three Rock. Their current site there [according to their map] is down on the Northern flank of the mountain, but the new one will be on top, giving coverage to the South [Glencullen/Enniskerry].

Of course, this could be a) a load of bull to shut me up, or b) someone in IBB Sales who doesn't realise they already have a site there :D.

Anyone else come across this one??

Is this in addition to the Windgates mast or have they realised that the one they've gone for will cover about 10 people?

How far is Three Rock from Enniskerry etc? The masts you can see up there look close enough, but IBB tends to go for something like a 5km limit, right?

According to the OS map it is between 7.5 and 8km from Three Rock to Enniskerry.

M.

Three Rock is in addition to the Windgates site [the latter is supposed to go live in about three weeks]

It is nearer 7km to Enniskerry from Three Rock.

It turns out I'm exacly half way between the two [6km to both] :mad:

STOP PRESS....

IBB have just phoned me and they say that signal tests on both Three Rock and Windgates are to commence the first week in June.....

Watch this space!

In a moment of unusual clarity I think I just got it. They obviously need to get a signal to Windgates somehow so that's why they have a new site up on Three Rock.

Not sure I follow this, would IBB not use landlines for their backhaul from Bray ?

Just a thought

M.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

they use wireless gear to bring all their basestations back to their main headquaters, where i think they hook up with the internet itself. Something like that.

• Advertisement

Probably a very unlikely scenario. First of all, landlines for a decent amount of bandwidth (from Bray anyway) would mean a leased line and we all know that the following formula is always true;

The square of the cost of a leased line is equal to the sum of the square of a new BMW five series.

or

leased line = bend over boy!:D :D:D

I am fairly sure there is line of sight from IBB on three rock to the Windgates mast. They probably have other point to point links already on the mast so adding one will be a minor enough cost. That way, there is a relatively small capital cost for the backhaul from Bray and a very small recurring cost for a license and some colo.

Advertisement