Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

points of interest, Austrian or Swiss-Italian borders

• 17-05-2004 12:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭

Going on a trip soon, flying into Italy, but planning on heading up to switzerland or austria, maybe even southern germany. Has anyone been to any interesting or nice places in these regions of note? If so let me know.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Take the scenic train through Pontresina. St Moritz and lake (big place for kite sailing) are worth an afternoon if the weather is nice. Go up Mt Korvatch to the glacier at the top. Use the zip-wire from the cable car station across to the glacier proper - duck into the ice cave while you're there too.

If you stick around the area get in contact with the St Moritz Experience - they're on the web. Lots of stuff like canyoning!

The hill walking is superb if you like that sort of thing which I do, and the views and scenery are fantastic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭bug

Thanks Borzoi I had a look at san Moritz but I dont know if its a little far, Im flying into Venice and flying back out of Venice. And there is a week in between. Innsbruck was maybe a possiblility, and dubrovnik and split would be good too but I dont think the car is covered for insurance there, it a rental.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

I don't know if this helps or not but you can get a ferry from Venice to Croatia. I think it was Pula or Rijeka. Then from Rijeka it's possible to get a ferry to Split and/or Dubrovnik. If you only have a week though then it mightn't be possible as you'll be spending most of the time travelling. Driving down the coast of Croatia is a crazy idea. Theroads get really jammed and are very windy. Mix that in with crazy drivers too and itÄs a recipe for disaster.

As for Austria (can't speak for north italy or switzerland) Salzburg is a lovely city. It's also quiote near to Munich and it's about an hour from Innsbruck if you're coming from that direction. The only problem with salzburg is that it does get jammed with tourists. Innsbruck is supposed to be a beautiful little city as well. Cost wise Austria is just a little more than half what similar things cost in Switzerland. Compared to Ireland it's a little cheaper. I usually stay in guesthouses as they are cheaper and nicer than hotels imo. Around 30€ a night should get u B&B.

If it's spectacular scenery and stuff that floats your boat then the area around the Italien border (brenner pass) is supposed to be beautiful. There's also a huge national park there that the brenner pass actually cuts through (much to the annoyance of a lot of environmental groups, who are trying to get the volume of traffic restricted).

Advertisement