Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Go Areas For Broadband in Galway City?

• 17-05-2004 1:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭

Hi all

I'm going to Galway tomorrow to scout for a new apartment in the city / surrounding areas.

Can anybody tell me if there are any no-go areas in Galway City / Salthill, etc that definitely don't have broadband?

Don't want to spend all day looking in Knocknacarra, etc if it isn't close to an exchange.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Enabled Galway exchanges are Mervue, Shantalla, Galway HPO.

I've little idea where Knocknacarra is (though I know the super valu there was selling pears for 7 cents a few weeks back:)) but hopefully you'll be able to tell from the above as I don't know where they are either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,266 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Galway is a bit of a gamble wherever you are. My mother's house is in Knocknacarra and fails the line tests, yet the neighbours either side have broadband, other houses on the road are in the same position...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

Going by the posts on the boards over the last 12 months, your neighbour could have BB, but theres no guarantee that your line will pass:rolleyes:

Don't forget the irishwan option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Originally posted by Terminator
    Don't want to spend all day looking in Knocknacarra, etc if it isn't close to an exchange.

The west side of Knocknacarra has no BB (Ballymoneen Rd and Cappagh Rd) , no plans.

City centre should be OK except that there is a blackspot between Square and Mervue around Lough Atalia/College Rd.

Mucks tips for Apt and House Viewers Viewers who need BB are.

1. Bring a phone, plug it in when u get there, listen for a "SOFT DIALTONE" , a hum really.
    2. Dial 199000 Talkback ( or 199900 , ITS FREE ) , write down number thats spoken, practise 199000 at home first.
    3. Ring 1800512128, tell them number you wrote down in step 2 and ask them for the test result for that number. Write full name of droid who tells you down if a pass. If a fail go to next apartment and do steps 1-3 again until you pass.

It all takes a minute or two if you bring a phone. If there is NO Soft Dialtoe you could wait days to be connected to Analogue and Weeks for a line test afterwards with no guarantee of success.....whatsoever.....ever .

Get the Landlord to connect it up and take over the bill from them. There are stacks of empty flats and apartments in Galway these days, you only need to find one desperate Landlord who sez Yes.

M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Terminator

Thanks to everyone and Muck especially.

I'll try to stay as close to the city as possible so.

• Advertisement
Advertisement