Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I don't care about the cap anymore

• 17-05-2004 3:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭

Over the weekend, after living in the droves on Eircom for nearly a year, I decided to break free and experience broadband to the max. And so far, it's been great.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Just wait until the bill comes, or they cut you off and send you a bill. LOL.

I wonder will you enjoy it as much then. :confused:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

i wouldnt really go over the cap but the cap is very restrictive alright, eircom always had the smaller cap but recently all their competitors give double for less, think its time for eircom to rethink their caps again and offer their customers a much higher cap now to at least match what iol,utv,netsource and digiweb offer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Originally posted by Paulw
    Just wait until the bill comes, or they cut you off and send you a bill. LOL.

I don't think exceeding the cap is enforced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭BArra

this is eircom, hello? wake up to yourself

matter of time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭shinzon

Originally posted by f®eak s©enery
    I don't think exceeding the cap is enforced.

unfortunately if you read the irelandoffline forum some people have already been charged for going over the cap

Shin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

bunch of cappers, eircom.;)

they're the 'golden discs' of ips.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭cormon

eircom have not enforced the cap yet except in extreme circumstances . They have been unable to do due to CLId on the line , this is currently being changed and you will see the change if you go over the cap in the middle of june ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

has anyone had their iol plus cap enfoced yet? i've gone about a gig over, but its my first month, and i was charged for last month although i got it on the last day and only downloaded about 20mb. do yuo reckon they'll give leeway?

whats the charge per mb over the cap. which provider is better value here?

i cant find out on the websites...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

its 3c on iol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

I don't know why they'd need to start charging for exceeding the cap, unless they just want to make a helluva lot of money (which is pretty obvious) but otherwise, the performance is grand.

I'll make the use of broadband this month of May and by June I'll go back to my restrictive days. May even move providers since my year contract will be up by then and I'm sick of this crappy cappy (know this is off-topic, but any advice on who to switch to?).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I have a friend who's on IOL. She downloaded over 8gb in her first two weeks of her service (4gb cap back then). She was cut off and told that service would not be restored until she paid her bill for the excess. Some bill !!! 3c per MB. Work that out. They came to an agreement to charge it over a few bills to make it a little easier. That was a major slap on the wrists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭dmd

Use what you like toughguy, but don't cry and bitch on here if your ISP makes you pay up for the extra bandwidth, which you did agree to pay them once you signed up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by shinzon
    unfortunately if you read the irelandoffline forum some people have already been charged for going over the cap

Shin

On eircom? I've heard of IOL customers being charged but not Eircom, oddly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Da Man

The usage charges strike me as excessive/idiotic. If you pay €30 a month for 8Gb or whatever it is, then why isn't the next 8Gb €30 as well or even cheaper? Sounds like pretty easy money to make for the ISP instead of "if you exceed the cap we will repossess your house" type of an attitude which means that people tend to stay within the cap. It would be like phone calls costing 1000 times as much once you've made a certain number of calls.

It's idiotic that you can't understand why they charge so much when you go over cap!
    They don't WANT you to go over the cap. The excessive price is a DETERRANT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

jesus, that's pure stupid, eth0_

FITE TEH POUWAH LOIKE!!!!!111

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

Does anyone wonder why eircoms service is so stable? No-one wonders why the users always max out their connections? And why the pings are practically always low?

The reason is the cap. eth0_ is right, the cap is there for a reason, and the price is a deterrent. If eircom had an uncapped service, you would soon see them crash an burn like netsource did. They (probably) don't have the infrastructure in place to allow all their users to be cap-free, and they probably don't want that either.

Fine, if your not going to go over the cap, 8gb is plenty for ya, and you'll get good service. But if you are a moderate downloader (and trust me, there is lots to download legally...) you can easily download the internet every month. I know i have been.

Back to the point, you paid for a fast reliable, but NEUTERED service. You have a set limit of 8gb, and that is the price you have to pay for eircoms "super-fast speeds and low pings". If you go over, purposely, then i support eircom all the way to milk you for every penny that bandiwdth is worth according to the contract you signed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Da Man

If we were to actually try to grasp the exceptionally complex message I was trying to get across, it was: charge for units of 8Gb instead of selling just 8Gb. Sorry for stating the obvious, but Eircom has to provide a network to support its user base that's changing every day. Not exactly much difference in dealing with people who buy chunks of 8Gb. It kinda makes sense that if I had a network with lots of bandwidth then I would find ways of selling that bandwidth.

I'd say the real reason is that they (and their competitors) don't have a billing system that can handle this. Or that the customers are happy with the current setup.

Eircom don't even have a system that allows them to bill people for going over the cap!
    The way it is in Ireland right now is, if you want to download more than 20gb per month...get a business dsl account. It would make pretty stupid business sense to sell download allowances in blocks. I've never heard of it done before.

I can't fathom how one person could download more than that per month, so if you split it between your housemates it makes a lot more sense than paying through the nose with eircom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Originally posted by Mutant_Fruit
    Does anyone wonder why eircoms service is so stable? No-one wonders why the users always max out their connections? And why the pings are practically always low?

The reason is the cap. eth0_ is right, the cap is there for a reason, and the price is a deterrent. If eircom had an uncapped service, you would soon see them crash an burn like netsource did. They (probably) don't have the infrastructure in place to allow all their users to be cap-free, and they probably don't want that either.

Wrong. If eircom had no cap, none of the other ISPs would have them either. The heavy users would be spread across all ISPs (like in every other european -- nay 1st world country) so the impact would be negligable. The only reason caps are in existance here in Ireland is because eircom introduced them first. If eircom were to remove them, the other ISPs would very quickly follow suit. There would be very marginal if any noticeable impact on the services as a whole.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

i agree with that also, if everyone was spread throughout eircom, iol, utv, netsource, digiweb and esat business it wouldnt strain the services to a great deal if we were uncapped or at least a much larger and evenly spread cap throughtout all the services, say 30 or 40 gig a month. But we all know this is never gonna happen, the caps are here to stay and may only slightly increase on a yearly basis. There is now also a massive difference between eircom and the rest of the isps and if it stays like that i think i may well go to IOL when my contract is up and take advance of a much larger cap for less money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭neokenzo

I think no matter how much the cap is set there will always be some that thinks its not enough. Its never going to be enough until its uncapped. I've had the BB when it had 3GB limit and even now when its at 12GB limit, I still dont think its enough :) But thats just me :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ChipZilla

Originally posted by eth0_
    ...I can't fathom how one person could download more than that per month...

Before all the holy joe's start flaming, it's very easily done, without even getting into the whole thorny subject of warez and mp3z. My own view is that caps are a screw job if you're paying 40 or 50 quid a month. In every other civilised country on the planet, caps are only used on the cheapest of the cheap tariffs, like BT Openworld's in the UK or Telstra's in Australia. 3c a Mb = 30 quid a Gb if you go over your cap? Bandwidth doesn't cost that much to dish out. Another top-class rip-off by Irish ISPs. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Originally posted by cormon
    eircom have not enforced the cap yet except in extreme circumstances . They have been unable to do due to CLId on the line , this is currently being changed and you will see the change if you go over the cap in the middle of june ...

where did you get this info?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Miniscule outfits in london telehouse can sell bandwidth at less than 50p/gig, without making a loss. I'm sure eircom have marginally more clout to negotiate prices than some of these small companys. They also have links directly into telehouse north, last I checked. No excuses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

i can get triple digit Gigabyte figures downloading from this site every month. And thats not even straining my connection 24x7.

www.sharingthegroove.org <-- the best place for all your live band performance needs, and all 100% legal.

Originally posted by ChipZilla
    My own view is that caps are a screw job if you're paying 40 or 50 quid a month. In every other civilised country on the planet, caps are only used on the cheapest of the cheap tariffs, like BT Openworld's in the UK or Telstra's in Australia.

HERE HERE!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by Mutant_Fruit
    i can get triple digit Gigabyte figures downloading from this site every month. And thats not even straining my connection 24x7.
    How many of these downloads do you actually watch?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Originally posted by Ripwave
    How many of these downloads do you actually watch?

i bet he watchs most of them
    some people dont watch tv and would rather get some stuff from the net

Advertisement