Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I don't care about the cap anymore

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

How many of these downloads do you actually watch?

Every one so far. Each one is about 4.38gb's, generally lasting about 90 minutes. Maybe triple digits was an exaggeration, but i would be reaching 60-70gb of transferrs a month. and for the last 2 months (march/april) i reached triple figures (not all of it music related).

I obey the iron law: If i think i might like it, get it. I have to say, some downloads have been very bad, and i've just deleted them after watching 5 minutes of it. (really bad camera work, and horrible audio).

EDIT: I don;t watch much TV at all. I prefer not watching the crap that is usually shown, and watching what i want to watch instead, such as live radiohead/muse/r.e.m./phish/Dave Matthews Band/U2 shows. And they are all readily available at sharingthegroove.org, so i get em.

And i also burn those for friends who like those bands. (If anyone is interested in a great radiohead live performance, i have "Live at Le Resevoir" in france. Its an acoustic session, and anyone who even half likes radiohead should watch it, its brilliant.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Originally posted by Mutant_Fruit
    Every one so far. Each one is about 4.38gb's, generally lasting about 90 minutes.

4 gb+ for 90 mins? havnt they heard of compression?

Well, its generally one live performance per disc, and eahc performance is in DVD format... so it plays back on normal DVD players. Complete with menus etc. Sometimes, if two performances are small, they get combined, but not usually. While you could probably compress the shows more, theres no point. You might as well apply the least compression possible to fit one show on one disc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭meatball

If you go over, purposely, then i support eircom all the way to milk you for every penny that bandiwdth is worth according to the contract you signed.

ahahaha

Christopher.jpg

i say, **** the bastards.
    IOL can't even make a usage counter that works properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭alleepally

I don't think I'll ever reach my cap.

2nd month with broadband from Digiweb.

So far this month my usage is 1.5gb

10gb per month allowance.

that's all folks

so how are you doin'

• Advertisement

Originally posted by alleepally
    I don't think I'll ever reach my cap.

2nd month with broadband from Digiweb.

So far this month my usage is 1.5gb

10gb per month allowance.

that's all folks

so how are you doin'

i downloaded a linux distro last night
    2.3 gb

meatball: If someone agrees to a condition on ANY contract, and then deliberately breaks that, and admits it in full public view, i think that they should be hit with the penalty full force. I don't care whether its a broadband contract, or just a piece of paper saying that you'll mow your neibhours garden twice a month for 20 euro.

i think that if eircom have a working stats counter, they will charge. And i support them in that. But i still belive that they should increase the cap to a decent level, like 20gb.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

meatball: If someone agrees to a condition on ANY contract, and then deliberately breaks that, and admits it in full public view, i think that they should be hit with the penalty full force. I don't care whether its a broadband contract, or just a piece of paper saying that you'll mow your neibhours garden twice a month for 20 euro.

i think that if eircom have a working stats counter, they will charge. And i support them in that. But i still belive that they should increase the cap to a decent level, like 20gb.

yeah thats about right, eircoms stats counter is accurate tho it doesnt update as regularly as it shud but when it does its accurate, they can easily charge by just looking this up every month, ive only gone past my limit once and thats by 300mb, i normally stay below 60mb of the limit, off course i would love to totally go well beyond the limit but will not risk it as I know someday eircom will charge and they could even backdate everything. At the same time I think they should up that cap to a normal amount of around 20gb/30gb and it wouldnt harm the network at all. Eircom know now that all their competitors give double so when the caps come into review again I think we can at least hope that eircom will match them to 16gb but that could well be another year away.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 729 ✭✭✭popinfresh

This thread has confused me. Does the eircom 40yoyos a month deal now have an 8-gig cap instead of a 4 gig cap, because their website doesn't mention it ???? :confused:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

the €40package has a 4gb cap, the 8gb is for the broadband plus package at €55 a month

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,170 ✭✭✭beer enigma

I've just told Eircom at the 11th hour that I'm going with Esat because of the 8Gb cap & they've offered to match the cap at the €40 price - anyone else heard of this ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

1 year contract = 1 bollock
    I was never told about the 3c per MB = 1 bollock
    Ppl on tech support that haven't got a clue = another bollock
    Eircom = a big pile of bollocks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by Andip
    I've just told Eircom at the 11th hour that I'm going with Esat because of the 8Gb cap & they've offered to match the cap at the €40 price - anyone else heard of this ??

Ask to get that IN WRITING!

Originally posted by Nick_oliveri
    1 year contract = 1 bollock
    I was never told about the 3c per MB = 1 bollock
    Ppl on tech support that haven't got a clue = another bollock
    Eircom = a big pile of bollocks.

Don't you have to sign a contract before you get eircom dsl? Wouldn't it say on the contract about the charge for going over cap?

Originally posted by eth0_
    Don't you have to sign a contract before you get eircom dsl? Wouldn't it say on the contract about the charge for going over cap?

i never signed a thing

Originally posted by tuxx
    i never signed a thing

So where do you stand legally if you go over cap? *scratches head*
    Surely they have no right to charge you if you never signed a contract agreeing to it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭neokenzo

Originally posted by eth0_
    Ask to get that IN WRITING!

I agree, get that in writing. I doubt though Eircom will do that. They have always given the lower cap and I dont see that they would suddenly matching Esat. Soon they would want to match UTV :)

i never signed a thing

Neither did I but its all over their website. Also I think they included in their bill a couple of months ago that they will soon start charging if you go over the cap. Even if we didnt sign anything, I bet its in the T&C. The moment you accepted the BB, I guess the T&C applies immediately.

Originally posted by neokenzo
    Also I think they included in their bill a couple of months ago that they will soon start charging if you go over the cap.

yes they did but it also said they would contact customers before they start charging

yes they did but it also said they would contact customers before they start charging

I guess then no news is good news :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭alleepally

i never signed a thing

It doesn't matter if you never signed anything. The exchange of money for goods or service is the contract in itself

when eircom do finally issue a statement that they will start charging i think the onus is on them to bring the cap to an even level with utv and iol. They most have a fair idea at this stage that everyone else is offering double the cap for less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

i never signed a thing either. And i was only told about this contract when i had broadband enabled. "Oh yeah you gotta have this for a year because otherwise we will charge you €150" BOLLOCKS. I wonder can i issue out contracts in my head that people dont even sign but are legally binding. But im not "in with da government" Pile of scumbags. I deem that this type of behaviour deserves a Scarface chainsaw type practice in the groin area. Im too scared these days to download anything. Accurate stats my šhite. And this milked money goes to...........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by Gonzo
    when eircom do finally issue a statement that they will start charging i think the onus is on them to bring the cap to an even level with utv and iol. They most have a fair idea at this stage that everyone else is offering double the cap for less.
    "The onus is on them"? What onus? Eircom don't have a problem with the cap being at 4G, why should they fix it? It's not as if they'll be losing much money if all the heavy users switch over to the competition - they'll still be getting most of the money you pay to IOL or UTV as a wholesale fee.

Eircom have huge amounts of data on how much "ordinary" people download. If that data indicates that 4G is a problem for a lot of eircom users, then they'll do something about it. By all accounts, the vast majority of users don't even come anywhere using 4G, never mind exceeding it.

for the starter package 4gb is fair enough its aimed at light users anyway but the plus package is for 'heavy users' and its only a mere 4gb extra than the light package for €15 extra per month. Even if I could afford the highly expensive unlimited business packages I couldnt get them anyway as its adsl not radsl. Eircom should really have a bigger difference between the light and heavy packages.

Originally posted by Gonzo
    Eircom should really have a bigger difference between the light and heavy packages.

Well should and would are 2 different thing my friend. Eircom will probably increase in some time in the future but when they do, so will the rest of them. I dont see Eircom giving the most cap compared to the other ISP's ever.

Advertisement