Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Software to monitor printing

Options
  • 17-05-2004 3:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I'm currently working on a PC (Windows XP Pro) that has a fairly large number of users, each with their own username and password. I would find it really useful if there was some way of monitoring whos printing what at what time, nothing too fancy required. Anyone aware of anything free that does this? Does XP have a feature like this that i'm unaware of? Any help appreciated...

Duke

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭hostyle

Ehm. maybe I'm missing your point, but go to Control Panel > Printers and double click on your printer ?

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭DukeDredd

I think you're missing my point alright. I'd like to be a able to record what was printed (e.g. a filename, webpage etc), who printed it and at what time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭hostyle

Sorry about that. You only mentioned monitoring as opposed to recording / logging. What model is your printer?

High end printers usually have built-in in logging, and some low end ones have also - try right-clicking on your printer and choosing Properties or Preferences and fiddle around. Look for "logging" specifically. A lot of cheap / home printers do not have this.

Your other option would be to search for a virtual printer on google, one that everyone prints to, it records the printing details and then forwards the raw data onto the real printer. I've heard of them but never used one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Originally posted by DukeDredd
    I think you're missing my point alright. I'd like to be a able to record what was printed (e.g. a filename, webpage etc), who printed it and at what time.

Haven't tried this with XP but I used this method to log print queues on an NT4 server so I expect it should work on an XP (ie NT5) workstation:

Configure the in-built Auditing to record print jobs in the system event log.
    The data (user, printer, document name, date/time and bytes printed) is stored as the event message so you won't be able to do any filtering on it to much extent but at least you can review it or save the log.

Then get dumpel.exe to dump the events to a txt file. If you like, you can create a scheduled task or startup script to run it when you log on. :D

Obvious tip: make sure the event log is set large enough not to overwrite records before you've had a chance to view them.

There are probably better solutions but this was quick and cheap ,ie free, and worked for me :)

Advertisement