Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows Excel

Options
  • 17-05-2004 3:36pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Ok guys..

Simple question but the answer seems bloody hard to find..

I have 3 excel spreadsheets and need to link a few figures in each together
    so that if I change one on one spreadsheet, then the corresponding figures on the
    other 2 spreadsheets will automatically update..

Ive searched the excel help files, on the web and in a few books but none can give
    me a straight forward step by step answer.. im at lower level as far as using Excel
    as far as doing a few minor formulae for adding, subtracting etc etc so I need a
    straight forward step by step guide on how to do it..

Any budding excel genius out there like to give me some help before i feck this bloody PC out the window :D

Tox

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,437 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by ToxicPaddy
    I have 3 excel spreadsheets and need to link a few figures in each together so that if I change one on one spreadsheet, then the corresponding figures on the other 2 spreadsheets will automatically update.
    The simple way to do it is to have the two (or three) open and to press the = symbol and click to the other spreadsheet and then click on required cell, press enter.

You would get a formula like
    =[document1.xls]Sheet1!$A$1

Be very careful with subsequently changing or moving cell contents, as they won't necessarily update automatically. You would normally be better off copying two of the other spreadsheet into the third as separate pages.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Victor
    You would normally be better off copying two of the other spreadsheet into the third as separate pages.
    I'd also recommend this. One document, three different sheets. Updates will happen automatically then.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

ok, cheers guys.. ill give it a try.. :)

Tox

Advertisement