Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing PC/Win XP

Options
  • 17-05-2004 4:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭

I have a Dell PC, which came with XP Home/SP1. If I were to build a new PC, whats the legalities around me using the copy of Windows I have?. IIRC, I had to register my copy on Windows online - isn't there some mechanism built in to stop you using a copy over and over?. Also, assuming I actually own the software, is there something about only being allowed to install it on one machine anyway?.

Lots of questions - sorry, hope I'm making sense!.

TIA.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joePC

As for as I know you can ring Microsoft and transfer the licence over to the new PC,

Also there are tuts on how to change your CD into a full version without activation, But that would be iligal and we dont condone that sort of behavior ;)

Thanks JoePC

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by ArthurG
    Also, assuming I actually own the software, is there something about only being allowed to install it on one machine anyway?.
    You don't own the software. You are supplied with a copy of the software, and you purchase the right to use it. That's the legal standpoint anyway. How many different machines you are allowed to use it on is a different story.

I'm not sure if MS will allow you to use OEM software on non-OEM hardware, it may be a grey area. Afaik, it may be possible to retrieve the Activation Key, which you should then be able to put in, and pretend you did a telephone activation ("I have no intarnet miiistor"). I could be wrong. I also do not condone such backhanded techniques.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

Aargh!!!. If I take the average of both answers above, then the answer seems to be maybe, but I shouldn't condone what I'm doing??!!. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

Legally you cant, OEM software lives and dies on the PC its sold with, but if you ring MS and lie, you'll be able to get a new product key.

Advertisement