Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IOL BB suddenly stopped working

• 17-05-2004 4:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 317 ✭✭

I'm having a very big problem with my broadband. Its stopped working !!!

I left the computer on d/l a file while i went to work. I came back to find that the connection had reset (happens from time to time) and that the computer wasn't able to reconnect (never happened before). I looked down at the little icon in the taskbar that shows the modem status and it was blue (normally green).

The little icon has gone blue occasionly just when i switched on the computer, however as soon as i restart it changes to green. It's never gone blue unless it was immediatly after the computer was switched on. This was the first time. I was a little preturbed but i decided that the modem was probably just been tempermental and i rebooted. However when the pc came on again the icon was still blue. I rebooted several times but the icon stayed the same. I then noticed that the adsl light on my modem was flashing. By that time i was getting a litte worried.

I then tried reinstalling the modem drivers but that didnt help. I then phoned IOL tech support and they blamed the problem on my mointered alarm and told me to contact my alarm company. The alarm had never been filtered but i thought it was very unusual for it to screw up the broadband 12 months I got broadband. I didnt really beleive them, so i rewired my phone line so as to bypass the alarm and take it out of the equation. Of course the bb still didnt work.

I phoned IOL tech support back and told them this. They then started spouting out loads of other excuses which resulted in me lugging my pc right over to the phone line so as not to be using the extension cable. Doubtless to say none of their solutions worked. They told me they would send out an engineer to put a filter on the alarm (even though id proved it wasnt the alarm that was causing the problem) and that there's a backlog so it'll take 3 weeks to a month before an engineer can come out.

Doubtless to say im pretty desperate. i doubt i can survive 3 weeks on 56k hell. Does anyone have any ideas as to what might have caused this problem and how to fix it?

Yours in desperation

ps. my 56k modem works fine on the exact same line as the bb modem was on - does that mean that the line is good and it's actually the iol modem thats the problem?

bb modem = ZyXEL prestige 630

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 317 ✭✭zil

Come on guys, surely someone has some clue as to whats wrong? I'm desperate here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭MagicBusDriver

The ADSL is probably not synching with the exchange. A Eircom tech probably disconnected you from the DSLAM by mistake.

It also could be a fault with your line.

Ring again and try to talk to someone with some technical knowledge.

Advertisement