Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The immigration referendum debate...

Options
  • 17-05-2004 6:42pm
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Please simply out your name forward by stating: FOR or AGAINST the motion.
    Please dont start/continue arguing the merits or otherwise of the referendum here, this isnt the place.

The topic is very simple: That this site should support the governments proposal and vote YES in the upcoming immigration referendum.

DeV.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

my name is christopher bond. i am AGAINST the motion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭arcadegame2004

My name is Andrew Rooney. I am FOR the motion.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Hee! A simple typo has boardsers "outing" themselves left, right and centre.

Correct me if I'm wrong, DeV, but when you said "put your name forward" I'm sure a boards handle would have done nicely, no? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Also...at the risk of being impertinent...

when, exactly, is this debate taking place?

(I'm interested depending on the timing)

I want to debate for the "Yes" side.

• Advertisement

How do I read the debate so far? i now realsie the logos area is supposed ot be private. Im confused lol

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Originally posted by arcadegame2004
    How do I read the debate so far? i now realsie the logos area is supposed ot be private. Im confused lol

Hasn't started yet, logos will open when it starts.

Why not start a poll to see when it should be opened, lol Only Joking

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Really!

MrP

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,945 ✭✭✭BEAT

is this the referendum that says you become a citizen if you have a kid in ireland and you are not yourself from ireland?

I dont think this should be aloud...people having a kid so they can stay in a country should not be aloud...so put me down for which ever side that falls on and I will debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by BEAT
    is this the referendum that says you become a citizen if you have a kid in ireland and you are not yourself from ireland?

I dont think this should be aloud...people having a kid so they can stay in a country should not be aloud...so put me down for which ever side that falls on and I will debate.
    The basic idea of the referendum is that anyone born here is not necessarily automatically made a citizen, you have to fulfill certain criteria first, e.g. have at least one parent who's a citizen.

• Advertisement

so because I feel that they should not be considered a citizen just because they are born here if thier parents are not citizens, am I for the referendum?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

so because I feel that they should not be considered a citizen just because they are born here if thier parents are not citizens, am I for the referendum?
    :) Yes. Although not yet fully equipped to debate it, I fear.

Here's a good place to start:
    www.refcom.ie
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 SoulSurgeon

Against the motion

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

No. It has nothing to do with the parents. The child becomes a citizen if born here, the parents do not.

MrP

Originally posted by seamus
    :) Yes. Although not yet fully equipped to debate it, I fear.

Here's a good place to start:
    www.refcom.ie
    :)

thanks for the info seamus...
    hey, George Bush isnt fully equipped to run a country but he is the President ;) whether we want him or not unfortunatley

• Closed Accounts Posts: 798 ✭✭✭bobbyjoe

Against

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭The Brigadier

Happy to captain or Debate FOR the motion...

BEAT, if you vote YES then you end the automatic right of the babies of non-nationals to Irish citizenship unless one of the parents is Irish.

BEAT, if you vote YES then you end the automatic right of the babies of non-nationals to Irish citizenship unless one of the parents is Irish.

Thank you, then I would vote yes and be glad to debate the topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭gom

Graham Ó Maonaigh

I'm Against the motion as proposed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Simon O'Doherty and against the motion.

Please let him do this, as Arcadegame is a Master Debater.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Hobbes and Beat selected as captains. Please pick your teams and I'll be in touch with you today via PM to give you detailed instructions (its your job to keep your team informed and organised but we provide a forum for each side to assist this.

The debate begins one week from today (Monday 7th) and will run until the 11th (the date of the election/referendum). I'll allow one new post a day and one reply to another post (either sides' post) each day. This will be a 5 day debate.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Hat > Ring

Against the motion, natch.

I have chosen The Brigadier as my 1st Leiutenant and need a volunteer as my second...please PM me and I will reply to let you know if you have been chosen.

Thanks

well today I have chosen my 2nd lieutenant as Arcadegame2004.
    Debating to begin on Monday the 7th.

Advertisement