Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

looking for some advice on the a+

Options
  • 17-05-2004 7:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭

to put it simple im looking for some advice on the a+ im hopeing to sit it soon any advice would be helpfull im not to keen on spending to much money ive got some books already so any ideas would be helpfull

p.s. sorry for writing this tread in caplocks the last time before this edit im only new to the forums that why it has newbie up in the left sorry

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Junk moved here. dubdvd, two things:

1) As you've gathered by now, typing in all caps is hard to read and the equivalent of shouting. People don't like it, so please don't do it.
    2) A thread title like "hi all" is just as useless. People need appropriate thread titles so they can decide if it's worth opening.

Bear these in mind in future please.

Everyone else, I think he gets it now, drop it please.

adam

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

The best thing you can do is get hold of some practice exams! Google for them or you can find examples on kazaa etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Apologies for the 'flame' it was meant in good humour (See: resevoir dogs..)

Agreed, review some of the exams-they're readily available if you look in the right places (Always loads floating around p2p nets).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

www.fas.ie is the best place to get it and get info on where the test will be ,they even give you practice tests.

All for €100 seen places charge over a grand for the material.

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

TBH dub, i duno if you should even bother with the a+.

I read it a couple of years ago and found it to be of no benefit., and a lot of people I have spoken to agree. It helps on IRQ's and stuff, but its very seldom these days you need to set the Jumpers on an ISA card.

Assuming you already have a fairly proficient knowledge of computers, may Linux+ instead ???

And if you dont, start accumulating computer bits and bobs and start from there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

2 Dumb questions :

Whats the a+?

Is the linux+ real?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Souper A+ has chanfged every year in last 5 years, its a basic hardware course does what it says on the box tbh.

Secret
    www.comptia.com

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

www.cramsession.com -- study guides -- if you know all of that before sitting your exam you can't fail. I found I had studied too much and despite being worried prior to sitting the exams I then aced both of them. They're easier than you'd think they'd be!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭dubdvd

thanks for all your help, the reason i was going for the a+ was to have a cert under my belt before going anyware for a job in i.t. you see i work in a hospital on the wards careworker and this hospital has a i.t. dept .my hopes was to transfer over and keep my time with e.h.b. unbroken .when i asked about moveing the wages they gave out where less than half of what im getting all ready so i thought if i had the basic requirments under my belt the wages would be better ,anyway a guy i spoke to told me that the a+ was the one i needed to get frist "this guy is not from the job " so if anyone has any better ideas of what certs to get instead or what to do i,d be greatfull
    thanks again all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

Originally posted by SouperComputer
    Assuming you already have a fairly proficient knowledge of computers

I'd say so looking at his sig :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭MunkyHed

Theres a PC repair and maintenance course at CSN in cork. Very good course for newbies especially. 2 year course, 2nd year is mostly networking and operating systems study. Lots of practical exams and MCQ exams. If you know computers well it would be a doddle but worth it to get the FETAC certs and city & guilds diploma.
    www.csn.ie
    Other courses like the CISCO systems network administrator course(Expensive). And the microsoft NET+ would be well worth having.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

The A+ exam is considered part of MCSA/E so in the long run, it may be a good thing.

That said, I havent done it as yet, but intend to start on the MCSA road soon.

A link to help................

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/educator/networking/mcsaroadmap.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Originally posted by dubdvd
    when i asked about moveing the wages they gave out where less than half of what im getting all ready so i thought if i had the basic requirments under my belt the wages would be better

IT wages ARE crap - get used to that idea - it sould be on the first page of A+ books!!!!! A+ is basic support stuff so you're not going to be earning big bucks...A good idea might be to see if you can get some part time work in your IT dept - there's nothing like hands on experience and this will make a difference when you are looking for a job...As for other courses you need to think of what area of IT you want to work in - hardware/admin/networking etc and then do the appropriate area of study - again getting some experience will give you a better idea of what area you eventually want to be in....courses can be expensive so if you are going for entry level roles ask about training in interviews - a lot of companies sponsor employees.....

Advertisement