Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to fit a new HardDrive

Options
  • 17-05-2004 8:17pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭

hi i am puchasing a new harddrive and want information on how to transfer all contents(files,settings,applications,etc.) to the new one i was thinking using cds to transfer them but is there an easier way? & do you have to reinstall windows(xp)?

i can physically fit the new drive

any info much appriciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Can you connect both hard drives into the PC at the same time?

1) Put in the new drive as the slave, format and transfer the data.

2) Remove the drives and put the new drive in as master and install the OS

You do want this new drive to have the OS?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

yeah i want windows and all to be on it i hate installing OS espeically xp its a night mare can you just put the new one in and transfer i have a spare bay for the new one and it connects to the current harddrives cable

also which hardrive do i buy 2.5 or 3.5 inches does it make a difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,387 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Originally posted by The Real B-man
    yeah i want windows and all to be on it i hate installing OS espeically xp its a night mare can you just put the new one in and transfer

You lazy git :)

You can avoid reinstall by making an adjustment to Dempsey's procedure and using a piece of software like Norton Ghost:

Put in the new drive as the slave. Format at least two partitions on the new drive and transfer your data to the non primary partition

Install and run Ghost and create a backup of your primary drive (preferably on DVD, could also use CD's)

Now take out old drive and change new drive to master

Boot up from your Ghost image cd/dvd and Bob's the proverbial :)

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Dman_15

2.5 are for laptops. they are generally slower and more expensive than 3.5

• Advertisement

ok thanks, which is best out of the 3 below?

Western Digital Caviar 120GB IDE ATA/100 8MB cache 7200RPMspecs

or

Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 120GB IDE ATA/133 8MB cache 7200RPM specs

or

Samsung SpinPoint P80 160GB IDE ATA/133 8MB cache 7200RPMspecs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭b3t4

Is there a reason why you are not using the previous harddrive??

If there isn't, what I'd do would be to set up the new 120gig as slave to the first drive. Use new drive as a storage area, that sort of thing. Keeping you're OS running on your first drive.

I have a similar setup to the above on my home computer. I find it handy as I can remove my storage harddrive and connect it up to other computers easily if I so choose.

A.

yeah it keeps making noises so its wonky or about break and S.M.A.R.T IDE Guardian says it will fail within a month

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

What is the motherboard/PC? When did you install SIGuardian?

I have a Western Digital 120Gb Caviar and they are very good. Heard good things about Samsung Spinpoints also

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

Might as well spend the extra and go for the 160 gig Samsung, unless you think you'd have a hard time filling that much space.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Tivoli

Originally posted by MasterOfSolos
    Might as well spend the extra and go for the 160 gig Samsung, unless you think you'd have a hard time filling that much space.

dead right, i hear samsung are a great make

160 might seem huge now, but someday it will be too small, mind you my 120gig will be a paperweight by then :(

Advertisement