Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EirCON in bargain shocker !?!

• 17-05-2004 8:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭

If you rent your home phone from Eircon, simply call up 1901 and ask them to upgrade your phone to a cordless DECT (model: eircom 5010) and they'll send you one out in the post...for free !!!

Yep, you read it right...They'll charge you €0 for your nice shiny new handset (which even has handsfree on it).

If you don't rent your home phone from them and you've some old piece of crap (as I had) then they'll charge you an extra 2.50 a month on your bill for the shiny new phone (30 a year ain't too bad)!

I'd get in quick though as I doubt it'll last long (it is Eircon after all!)

Penfolds

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭conZ

I've got one of those seimens eircom cordless dect phones, and a couple regular house phones - could i still get another?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭subway_ie

Originally posted by Penfolds
    If you don't rent your home phone from them and you've some old piece of crap (as I had) then they'll charge you an extra 2.50 a month on your bill for the shiny new phone (30 a year ain't too bad)!

€30 a year isn't great considering what you're paying for - an obsolete cordless phone, that would cost you about €60 to buy and own, versus €30 a year to rent it from Eircon.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

what makes it obeslete?

Flogen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭tomk

Penfolds - is this on the €ircon website - if not, where did you come across it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Yeah, Can't find anything about it on the site myself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭[nicK]

just rang them up and they're sending the phone out this evening! shocking!

[edit] no extra monthly charge cuz i'm renting my phone from eircom anyway [/edit]

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I bought a digitial cordless phone from maplins in galway for 30-40 euro. 30 for one year is ok(ish) 60 for two years is crap. Going onto three years and... :D

Take the plunge and buy a phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭swiss

Originally posted by MarkR
    I bought a digitial cordless phone from maplins in galway for 30-40 euro. 30 for one year is ok(ish) 60 for two years is crap. Going onto three years and... :D

Take the plunge and buy a phone.
    Agreed. This believe it or not is a moneyspinner for Eircom. It's exactly the same as renting your television. It works out cheaply in the short term but over time you *are* going to get screwed for it. This is Eircom, remember, Eircom. If you are paying comfort phone rental I think there is a link in Sceptres sig that shows you how you can stop paying this bloated form of rental.

*smacks people on the head with rolled up newspaper* Never trust Eircom. You should all know this by now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Are there any terms and conditions? If there aren't, what's to stop people taking the phone and ringing the next day to cancel equipment rental off the bill? If there are, what are they?

adam

Originally posted by dahamsta
    Are there any terms and conditions? If there aren't, what's to stop people taking the phone and ringing the next day to cancel equipment rental off the bill? If there are, what are they?

adam

When they used to rent out those old piece of crap phones (the really ancient beige ones with no speed dial, speakerphone, etc) they would just let you keep them when you cancelled the rental. Recently they've started making people bring the phone into their local eircom dealer to cancel the rental and return the phone. I'd imagine that the cordless phones either have a minimum rental period, or remain the property of eircom after you cancel the subscription, more than likely all of the above.
    what makes it obeslete?

I'd say they're about to bring out newer models and are just flogging this bog-standard one so they're not stuck with excess stock. Obsolete as in they've been replaced, not as in they don't work.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Penfolds

Well, I just rang up last night and took them up on their kind offer.

Prior to this I never rented a phone off them and I haven't signed anything to say that I will now, I just rang up and asked for the phone and was told it'd be a fiver every two months for the equipment rental.
    So there's nothing in wiriting to say that I agree to rent a phone off them for 12 months and if I deicde to stop renting I have to give it back....so what is to stop me saying that I'm cancelling the phone rental in a few months.

gas thing is I haven't had my calls through them for a year or so, all i paid them was line rental (and i'll be off as soon as someone else can offer me that) but they still gave me a nice shiny new phone !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

Do you have to send back your old phone?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

For the record, subway_ie is right; although the phones aren't obsolete, they're just not the most up to date at this stage. It should also be noted that they're simply branded Siemens phones, i.e. they're quite good quality.

Seems like a good offer, just make sure you don't leave your poor old ma or pa paying for it for ten years. Personally I'd prefer to lash out for my own phone, just to keep as much money out of Eircom's pocket as possible. It's not as if they earn it or deserve it.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Originally posted by Peace
    Do you have to send back your old phone?
    Yeah, I rang them up and they gave me this address to send to phone to (nclude your name, address and a/c number):

Eircom Logistics
    Freepost
    Dublin 22

I don't think I can take up the offer because I wouldn't be able to last without a phone for a week or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 532 ✭✭✭muffinhead

Originally posted by eirebhoy
    Yeah, I rang them up and they gave me this address to send to phone to (nclude your name, address and a/c number):

Eircom Logistics
    Freepost
    Dublin 22

I don't think I can take up the offer because I wouldn't be able to last without a phone for a week or so.

you have to send back your old rental phone to get the DECT phone??? or just when you cancel your phone rental?
    €30 a year isn't great considering what you're paying for - an obsolete cordless phone, that would cost you about €60 to buy and own, versus €30 a year to rent it from Eircon.

it retails for €99.95 on the eircom website!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

you send your phone to them and they will then send you the DECT phone.

Originally posted by muffinhead
    it retails for €99.95 on the eircom website!
    Yeah, and the equivalent would probably retail for €50 in Argos. They have a similar thing in the Musgraves mailer right now, you get an intercom and corded phone as well as the cordless dect phone - about €60. When will people realise that *nothing* Eircom provide is cheap/free? If you're currently renting a "comfort phone" from them, cancel it. If it's an older model they don't usually make you send it back to them. Then go out and buy your own, which will have paid for itself in 2 years.

eirebhoy, just off the phone to them, and they told me I can hang onto the one I already rent for no extra cost (for my room...:D)

Flogen

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Dead money folks, and it's Eircom. Ah well, at least in 5 years time you'll have a phone worth €300. Oh.. Wait.. No, you'll have paid them 300. Silly me. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

We pay e4.22 every two months handset rental, just rang Eircom up, they said to upgrade to the 5010 they take off the old rental, and replace it with e4.22 every month (i.e. twice the price)

Should have known :dunno:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Originally posted by MarkR
    Dead money folks, and it's Eircom. Ah well, at least in 5 years time you'll have a phone worth €300. Oh.. Wait.. No, you'll have paid them 300. Silly me. :D
    nail - head
    Originally posted by Magic Monkey
    We pay e4.22 every two months handset rental, just rang Eircom up, they said to upgrade to the 5010 they take off the old rental, and replace it with e4.22 every month (i.e. twice the price)

Should have known :dunno:
    sneaky fuckers .... designed just so to fool people into thinking they are getting a deal ....
    Originally posted by swiss
    *smacks people on the head with rolled up newspaper* Never trust Eircom. You should all know this by now.
    lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 532 ✭✭✭muffinhead

i rang them and they said i could keep my old comfort phone (that i have paid €250 for - generous!;) ) but for the cordless phone i'd have to pay an extra €1.69 on the €2.11 per month rental bringing it to €3.80 per month!

i'll cancel my equipment rental in 2 months. When they request the DECT phone back i'll send them the comfort phone and see what they say!

got the phone, only downside is no backlight... which is abit annoying, but not a huge issue.. once they dont charge any more than we were paying before I dont care, if they first bill has any extra on it Im gonna abuse them verbally down the phone, then hunt down the heads of eircon and sodomise them with the 5010.

that is all

Flogen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Tivoli

mods could you please move this thread into the rip-off ireland forum :D

Originally posted by flogen
    once they dont charge any more than we were paying before I dont care, if they first bill has any extra on it Im gonna abuse them verbally down the phone

As I understand it, you were paying something like €2.50 on each bill for phone rental before, right? But now, they're charging €2.50 each month. Most people get their Eircom bills on a bi-monthly basis, so you're effectively paying double than what you were before.

if that is true, I will follow through on my promise

:D

Flogen

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Eircom sneeky ****ers:D

Advertisement