Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help!

Options
  • 17-05-2004 8:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭

Need a little help lads,
    I was out on my mountain bike other day and went to kick off into a sprint and managed to crack one of the sprockets(?) on my back block! In turn the whole block is after coming asunder!

My question is how can i fix this? where will i get a new block? Will i need a new chain too? My dad was a cyclist & mechanic, back in his hayday,so he can install the new block, Just wondering where i can pick one up, on the net or in a shop!

Im in cork!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,415 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You mean you broke one of the cogs on the rear gear block? You should be able to get a new block in any bike shop (can't remember, but I think part of the axle is connected to it).

You shouldn't need a new chain, although I would get the bike looked over.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I'd recommend buying a new chain as well as a new block - chains and cassettes tend to wear into eachother, so an old chain on a new cassette will do a lot of skipping, and vice versa. Any bike shop will stock them.

They're pretty standard, depending on the quality. Super-cheap ones screw directly to the hub, and are self-contained with the freewheel mechanism. Other ones (pretty much anything that's 7, 8 or 9-speed) are a separate set of cogs that sit on top of a freewheel mechanism already attached to the hub.

Don't bother trying to upgrade yourself to more gears. It's not worth the hassle and it may not be possible. Just get exactly what's already on the bike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭sound_wave

thanks for the advice lads, best go into town so tomorrow and have a look around for one. How much we talking about for a 6-speed?

Its just something top tied me over till i get a new bike during the summer, still have a fair bit to save yet :dunno:

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

You're not talking much. Maybe €20-€25, maybe less.

went and got it, the guy tried to charge me 40 quid for the cassette and chain, my jaw nearly hit the floor luckily i knew the boss so i got it for 20.Phew! It went on no hassle so im sorted again! thanks lads! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭brainstorm

knew the boss so i got it for 20.Phew

where was this?? can we get boards discount :D

twas in cork, in ballincollig West End Cycles. Know the owner he used to cycle with my Dad

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

Originally posted by brainstorm
    where was this?? can we get boards discount :D

I am sorting out this in the Dublin region. Its kinda sorted just need test cases ;) to iron out how its going to work

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭brainstorm

twas in cork, in ballincollig West End Cycles. Know the owner he used to cycle with my Dad

i know it... i know of the owner aswell, think hes still the owner! he use to race a few yrs ago... was handy 2!

Advertisement