Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bittorrent downloads With NETGEAR DG834G

• 17-05-2004 10:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭

hi,everyone,i just bought a router NETGEAR DG834G,this router has a firewall,so there is no any traffic go in and out from my PC when i use Bittorrent or any other P2P File sharing software,so i think that must be the firewall blocked them,is any one here knows how to turn it off or configer this thing to get Bittorrent work?
    Please Help!!!!:(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

open ports 6881 to 6889 or possibly higher. it depends on what client you use - then make a firewall rule to open that range of ports on the 834

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭mouse_busy

sorry i am new for this ,could you tell me how to?here is some info on my firewall setting,thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭MagicBusDriver

Open the above ports inbound.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭satchmo

First go to the 'Services' page and add a service like the top part of the attached image. Apply the changes, then go to the 'Firewall Rules' page and add a rule like the bottom part of the image. Changing the IP address to match that of your local machine of course. Simple as that.

which one i should choose?see1.jpg
    and it ask me to enter lan ip,see 4.jpg
    Help please

• Advertisement

4.jpg

4.jpg

is this setting alright?but seems still nothing come in

Yeah looks alright, as long as the port settings are right on the services page. And is that definitely your IP address? Go to StartMenu->Run and type in 'cmd', then when the black command prompt box comes up enter 'ipconfig'. That tells you what your IP address is.

Keep in mind that torrents always take a while to get going. So find a torrent with loads of seeds and loads of peers and give it about 10 minutes, then you'll know for sure.

is this right ip?
    and i'm downloading a file which 300+people downloading,i only got 5 K/s?or could you send me an bt file ,so i can test my speed,please?

• Advertisement

Yeah that's right. There's no point in me sending you a torrent, it would be the exact same as you getting one from somewhere else. If theres 300 people then you should definitely be getting a faster speed than that, presuming you left it open for a while.

The only other thing I can think of is that since it looks like you're using XP, maybe the XP firewall is on and blocking your connections. I can't tell you how to turn that off though since I'm on 2000, but no doubt a little googling will tell you fairly quickly.

Failing that I'm sure someone else has a suggestion or two, sorry I couldnt help :dunno:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭neokenzo

I have the DG834G. Here's some pic on my settings. Its up to you if you want to do the exact same thing but bittorent works fine without any problems.

This is what I did in "Services"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭neokenzo

And this is my firewall settings

I'm feeling benvolent (that and I'm avoiding going to bed) so I looked it up...
    Start > Settings > Control Panel > Network Connections
    Select 'Local Area Connection' and Right Click
    Left Click Properties
    Click the Advanced Tab
    Then untick the "Protect my computer and network by limiting or preventing access to this computer from the Internet".

it is untick
    thanks guys,does different P2P software use different port?why open all ports 0-9999?

Originally posted by mouse_busy
    why [not?] open all ports 0-9999?
    Because then there'd be no point in having a firewall at all!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

opening all ports is like opening all your windows and doors to an attackers!
    dont do it esp if your on BroadBand!

Advertisement