Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Moped - Full licence

Options
  • 17-05-2004 11:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭

Has anybody here done the full licence test for a moped ? or dose anybody know what it involves?

Any info would be great.

What they actually test you on.
    How your tested.
    How do i apply for it
    How much
    is there a waiting list.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

What age are you?

I only ask because once you get the moped licence, that's all it covers you for. Once you go for a larger bike or a car, you're back to learnersville and a test all over again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭spyro_2001ie

Im 21. Its just to bring my insurance down

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by spyro_2001ie
    Im 21. Its just to bring my insurance down
    Then to answer your questions:

What they actually test you on.
    How your tested.

If it's the same as the motorbike test (and I assume it is), you'll be asked a few simple questions in the testcentre, such as where not to park, when to turn on your lights, etc etc. Do a search in this forum, I posted up the full list before. You'll also be asked 10-12 road signs and what they mean. Then you'll be taken out on the road, do 8 or 10 circuits of a set route (usually an industrial estate), half clockswise, half counter-clockwise, and during that you'll be asked to stop, do a turnabout in the road, and also asked to drive at walking speed for about 50 metres.

How do i apply for it
    How much
    is there a waiting list.

www.drivingtest.ie

You could be waiting up to a year, so if you've plans to ditch it anytime soon, I wouldn't bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭bop1977

a full car B licence covers you to drive a moped a car and a tractor instead of u having to do 2 tests to get the same licence

Cheers

• Advertisement

a full car B licence covers you to drive a moped a car and a tractor instead of u having to do 2 tests to get the same licence
    That would be great, if only i could i drive a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭a_ominous

Originally posted by bop1977

Just for the sake of accuracy, a B licence automatically entitles the holder to a class M, which are for vehicles with engine < 50cc and top speed < 45 kmph. You cannot apply for an M licence. Check Oasis

I'd advise anyone over 18 to apply for an A licence even if they 'only' want to ride a 50cc scooter. They can hire a bike > 150cc from ISM for the test (borrow from a mate?) and not have to do the test again if they want to get something bigger. The 2 year wait after getting the full A licence will come into play too.

Advertisement