Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Keown testimonial!

• 18-05-2004 1:04am
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭

Well, in tonight's smaller game...
    "There’s only one Keown," sang Highbury in unison as an Arsenal legend bade farewell to the Club tonight.

Martin Keown, winner of three titles and three FA Cups in 449 competitive appearances, enjoyed a wonderful night as an Arsenal XI beat an England XI 6-0.

Jose Antonio Reyes grabbed a quick-fire hat-trick at the start of the second half and Jeremie Aliaidere scored twice. But the main goal-action of note came 11 minutes before half time when Keown’s penalty was saved.

David Beckham kicked-off the game but that was virtually his only involvement. The England captain was pulled out just before the match was due to begin and he was substituted by Paul Gascoigne after just a few minutes.

However, the former Manchester United midfielder deserves the utmost credit for travelling back from Spain to pay tribute to Keown. A crowd of over 38,000 had turned up to do the exactly the same thing.

Returning hero Ian Wright was soon up to his old tricks. He wrestled with Ray Parlour, who started on the England team, in the opening minutes. Then he swapped his shirt - which was not in fact his, Henry and Wright had each other’s names on their backs - with a fan.

In the 17th minute Arsenal went ahead, Freddie Ljungberg clipping a cross for Ashley Cole to backflick the ball past Robert Green at the near post.

It was 2-0 six minutes later when Aliadiere skipped through, rounded the keeper and slotted home.

The big moment of the first half arrived when Green fouled Edu in the 34th minute. The crowd called for Keown to take the spot-kick. But the Norwich No 1 guessed correctly and, almost apologetically, blocked the penalty and the follow-up.

"That’s why you’re a centre half," sang the North Bank.

Philippe Senderos came on for the second period. After an injury ravaged season since signing last summer, it was his first appearance at Highbury. Sebastian Svard was also back after his loan spells at FC Copenhagen and Stoke City.

Within a few minutes, Marc Overmars came off the bench. The Barcelona winger was afforded a warm welcome.

Reyes stung Green’s hands in the early stages. Then, in the 53rd minute, he beat the keeper by running onto Bergkamp’s pass to stroke home. He added another in the 58th minute, cutting inside his defender and thumping home from the edge of the area.

The little Spanish striker completed a 13-minute hat-trick when he curled home a shot in the 66th minute. A procession of substitutions continued. Wright even joined his adopted son, Shaun Wright-Phillips, on the England side.

Overmars set up Aliadiere to hook home his second, and Arsenal’s sixth, in the 77th minute. The Dutchman continued to cause problems to the England backline.

But Keown was still looking for a goal and by now was stationed up front. He twisted six-yards out a few minutes from time and sent a solid shot goalwards but Arsenal reserve keeper Mark Howard, in goal for England, made an instinctive save. The stopper was playfully booed for his contribution.

And that was it, Keown was substituted. Afterwards he made a short speech, did a lap of honour and left the scene.

He will not return but the memories will live on.
    Just caught a few brief highlights on skysports news, looked like a great night... the atmosphere in Highbury wasn't like anything i'd seen there before, i'd love to get a dvd/vhs copy of the game!

kick off
    50848965.jpg

the dream arsenal partnership...
    50848972.jpg

erm
    50849032.jpg

Gazza and Dixon look very old... and 'tanned'
    50849089.jpg

awwight kiddo
    50849500.jpg

:(
    50849735.jpg

incidently, nice to see Reyes & Aliadiere bagging 5 goals between them!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭elbow316

Great stuff last night :)
    Respect to the legend that is Martin keown, Arsenal through and through :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I saw bits and pieces myself. After the match he got the microphone and sang "There's only one Keown", he wasn't far off tears.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Originally posted by kaids
    the dream arsenal partnership...
    50848972.jpg

Seriously, that really is the stuff dreams are made of :)

Im in shock that the keeper saved keowns penalty. Thats not on for a testamonial :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

A great occasion all round. Great to see overmars back. Wright up to his usual tricks:rolleyes: Imagine being that fan that got the TH14 shirt from him!:D .

A great tribute to a great player. Cant wait for DB10's one next year.........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭sleepwalker

only got to see the first half and some of the after match bit

looked like a great atmosphere at highbury and fairplay to all the fans for making it a packes stadium. he will always be a legend for that van nistelrooy incident

did overmars play at all ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭kensutz

Originally posted by Dustaz
    Seriously, that really is the stuff dreams are made of :)

Im in shock that the keeper saved keowns penalty. Thats not on for a testamonial :)

Yeah it is. Greeno is a legend!!!! Pity he's having an op and had to pull out of contention for the England squad. I bought an England jersey when he was called up to the squad vs Sweden.

Greeno ENGLANDS number 1

Originally posted by sleepwalker

did overmars play at all ?

He sure did, was class too, set up Reyes for one of his goals

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭The Brigadier

I can;t get over Keown playing so many games at Arsenal..

Wasn't he 29 or so when he joined from Everton??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭kensutz

he left them and then rejoined Arsenal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

As kensutz says. Keown made his Arsenal Debut in 1985.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭DEmeant0r

OT but I met Keown before in Galway playing tennis, got his signiture as well. It was cool although I'm not a gooner.

ohh...the mists of time are shrowding my memory..

How long was he at everton for? And when did he go back??

I seem to remember him being at Everton for ages...

Originally posted by The Brigadier
    ohh...the mists of time are shrowding my memory..

How long was he at everton for? And when did he go back??

I seem to remember him being at Everton for ages...

He came back during the early 90's . 91 i think

I don't think it was that long ago...

I was thinking more like 1997....

Just checking....He signed again in 1993...

Can't believe it is 11 years now..

Advertisement