Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Smith to OT?

• 18-05-2004 10:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭

Manchester United are reported to have opened talks with Alan Smith's agents over a move to Old Trafford, but Aston Villa have ruled out a bid for the Leeds striker.

The Whites are looking for more than the £5million their arch rivals United are preparing to offer, but the Elland Road cash crisis means the board may have to accept a cut-price deal if Smith decides he wants to cross the Pennines............

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/story_get.dor?STORY_NAME=soccer/04/05/18/manual_082250.html

If this is true what a kick in the nuts for Leeds fans

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

He's not wanted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

A Keane replacement for UKP 6 Million. Thats a good piece of business. He is on 2 friends wishlists for the summer purchases at OT , they'll be delighted. The midfield 'prospects' need protection from the vulpine element in the opposition teams.

A hard chaw manager like Ferguson could ensure that he picks up fewer bookings and remains on the pitch, where he is needed, that bit longer . Thats the biggest problem with Smith (as it was with keane once) . Dennis Wise was another of the breed , great if you could rely on him not being carded too often. Batty another.

M

Originally posted by Muck
    A Keane replacement for UKP 6 Million. Thats a good piece of business. He is on 2 friends wishlists for the summer purchases at OT , they'll be delighted. The midfield 'prospects' need protection from the vulpine element in the opposition teams.

A hard chaw manager like Ferguson could ensure that he picks up fewer bookings and remains on the pitch, where he is needed, that bit longer . Thats the biggest problem with Smith (as it was with keane once) . Dennis Wise was another of the breed , great if you could rely on him not being carded too often. Batty another.

M

What Smith are you talking about?

Alan Smith who currently plays for Leeds is a Striker last time I looked, not really the ideal replacement for Roy Keane who is a midfielder..

He plays in the hole, if you noticed, not in the forward line. Where Bergkamp plays.

Saha can do that now, or Scholes. Smith can be deployed a bit further back.

Keane used to do the same once when he was more mobile. He plays a more withdrawn role now. Did Keane never burst through and score when he saw an opportunity ?

Try to remember that you have to have the knacks in midfield nowadays. The knacks could be in the back line once upon a time (Chopper or Tommy Smith come to mind) but with the last man on rule you must do the hatchet jobs in midfield nowadays, in front of the Cente backs and therefore not 'last man' and consequently less of an automatic red card risk.

The game has changed Sean :D

M

I know Ferguson has somewhat of a reputation this season for playing players out of position ( Giggs as a striker, Fletcher as a right winger, Butt on the pitch etc ) but Smith in the Keane role, come on my friend, please tell me this is a wind up?

• Advertisement

As I said, some of my friends wil be over the moo-win at this. These are people who can remember Utd being relegated once, and can remember the long and expensive struggle against success conducted by MU in the 70's and 80's may I add.

I agree with them. Every great team has an enforcer. The days of the Centre Back enforcer are over because of the last man / automatic red card rule. Very few Centre Backs have the exquisite timing that McGrath did. One inch out meant a card then, a Red one nowadays.

Smith will play in a more forward version of the Kean role, you will rarely see both on the pitch except for 6 pointers against Arsenal and the like. It is an inspired buy for 'only' UKP 6 Million. He is only 24 or so.

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Agree with Muck ,Smith playing there with one or two ahead of him is a good option, he played right wing for Leeds as they needed cover for a crap mid and defence.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

I had to look at the date after I read this.

If I am reading it correctly people are actually saying to sign Smith(a strker) to play Keane holding role in midfield. :rolleyes:

I hear he is also after Rooney as cover for right full back and woodgate to partner Ruud up front.:D

Get a grip - Smith is a striker - not even a second striker- but a target man type striker.

Kida.

Why would MU sign Smith as a striker when they need midfield and defensive bodies , not strikers, and everybody knows that ?

Maybe Ruud is going after all so it would make sense to have cover in place for him. Good luck wherever you go Ruud, I'm sure you will do great :d

M

Kida.
    Why would MU sign Smith as a striker...
    M

Can I answer this?

They'd sign Smith as a striker, because he is a Striker. Would Chelsea sign Ronaldo as a Holding Midfielder? Would Aston Villa sign Thierry Henry as a Right Back?

Buying players and playing them out of position is a ridiculous proposition.

• Advertisement

OK, get me an invite for Ruuds leaving party Seán, luv to B there .

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Kida, Seansouth - Smith has played in midfield plenty of times this season and played well. Here's a couple of links to prove it:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2002390000-2004211446,00.html
    “I may only have scored eight this season but I’ve spent half of it doing a job the club needed in midfield.

“My goals record for Leeds does not look as good as it should simply because I have played 70 matches in midfield during my career — and that works against you.”

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/player?id=7813&cc=5739
    Fought off the challenge of Robbie Keane to stay third in the pecking order at the club, but the 2001/02 season saw him deployed in a midfield role to accommodate the signing of Robbie Fowler from Liverpool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 635 ✭✭✭johnor

I think Fergie knows he needs 4 Strikers to compete on all fronts, '99 they had 4 Strikers...went rather well if i remember correctly...At the moment United have Saha, VanNistelrooy......Bellion hasnt progressed too much, Solskajer is being deployed on the right side of mid, Forlan hasnt shown much and is apparently on his way out, I think Fergie will buy another striker, wheather its Smith or not i dunno....would like to see an english striker at the club tho...Personally Id like to see Smith at united, despite any previous expressed views about the club or other events.....I think when he was younger he did some silly things, id say he will have a hard tim eif he does come but I would welcome him...he shows great passion and would be a good addition upfront.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I don't know why you are all so shocked about playing Smith in Midfield?!?

Henry went to Arsenal as a Midfielder and now he is probably the best Striker in the world!!!

Players are bought and played out of position all the time.

B.

Originally posted by johnor
    I think Fergie knows he needs 4 Strikers to compete on all fronts, '99 they had 4 Strikers...went rather well if i remember correctly...
    True, 2 of whom were traditionally sent off the bench after 70 mins , worked a treat.
    At the moment United have Saha, VanNistelrooy......Bellion hasnt progressed too much, Solskajer is being deployed on the right side of mid, Forlan hasnt shown much and is apparently on his way out,
    That makes 5 not 4. Only Solksjaer can be sent on after 70 mins though, the others lack the focus.

BTW What happened to that Fat fella Utd used to have, Schools or something. He is a striker is he not....making a total of 6 by my reckoning......and then they are buying Smith who needs the regular footie making it 7 strikers.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm ....... indeed.

M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

I think they are looking for him as and out an out striker. Wether Ruud decides to stay or go, a striker of Smith's potential would be a decent gamble at UK£5 - 6m. How many yimes this season have we heard Fergie and Wenger talk about the congestion of CL and Prem games? Look at Chelsae, and thier potential for rotation, in all positions. Smith as a Keane replacement, nah... As an extra striker, definitely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭SteM

United need 4 strikers that will come up with goals next season - at the moment the only 2 you can see scoring in a game are Saha and RVN. He'd be bought to play up somewhere front or *maybe* in midfield where I believe he's played for Leeds. He might be competitive but not in the same way Keane was for United when he was at his best, I don't see him filling the Keane roll at all.

Personally, I wouldn't want him to come to United but I can see it happening.

Are you refering to scholes? I think Scholes would be more likely to play in midfield than Alan Smith.

Solskajer as i say hasnt played upfront for united that much, think he played up their in the FA cup game against arsenal, only beacuse saha was cup tied and vannistelrooy was injured. There is also talk of solskjaer leaving at the age of 30/31?

Bellion cannot be considered a striker of the same class as Yorke,Soskjaer,Cole or Sheringham.

Forlan wont be at man united next season, if united can sell him they will...good luck finding a buyer.

As hobart says at 5/6 million for a striker who would just miss out on the england squad (as a striker) is a great snip

Scholes, thats the lad I meant. I think Smith will be used as a 'forward keane' in home matches wher MU are pressing forward.

Keane will be used when they are playing further back and breaking forward, in away matches more like or in certain 6 pointer situations .

Just watch what happens and remember that Muck was right all along !

BTW What happened to that Fat fella Utd used to have, Schools or something. He is a striker is he not....

Scholes started off as a striker but has been a seen as midfielder for years now. I don't think anyone at Old Trafford or many United fans think of him as a 'striker' anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

he might have played in midfield but Muck is talking about him replacing Keane as the hloding player. As far as I know he was doing a Solksjaer and filling in on the right or left hand side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Muck, please tell that the "Schools"/"Scholes" thing was a p!ss take!
    Because in all fairness, if you can't even get the name right or even refer to one of Manu's most influential players as
    that Fat fella Utd used to have
    I don't think you really have a clue about the Manu team let alone be in the position to predict what AF will be doing with the team next year!!

B.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Scholes has and always will be a second striker to me, and I think hes one of the best in the world at it :)

I don't get all this hype, why would Man Utd buy Smith?
    Hes good and all, but hes not lighting the world up, if he was all three top clubs would be after him.
    the only reason he has been linked to united is because united's gona be doing some buying this summer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭Dewey

***BREAKING NEWS***

http://www.skysports.com/skysports/article/0,,7-1135808,00.html

LEEDS REJECT UNITED SMITH OFFERS
    Tuesday 18th May 2004

Leeds have revealed that they have rejected two bids from Manchester United for star striker Alan Smith.
    United are keen on signing the England international following Leeds' relegation from The Premiership.

The Old Trafford outfit had their first offer of £3.5 million rejected by Leeds and they have also snubbed their improved second bid of £5.5 million.

"The offers by Manchester United substantially undervalue Alan Smith's position as a Premiership player," said a Leeds spokesman.

"He is worth far more than what Manchester United are prepared to pay for him both offers were rejected immediately."

Smith seems certain to leave Elland Road and United appear to be favourites for his signature.

Leeds value Smith in a the £10 million bracket, but United will be hoping to agree a deal with the Yorkshire club to see Smith join former team-mate Rio Ferdinand at Old Trafford.

Newcastle, Middlesbrough, Valencia and Juventus have also been linked with Smith and Leeds will be hoping that United's offers will now spark a bidding war for the player.

I thought Smith going to Man U was only paper talk but i guess Fergie wants him.
    Hes a great player but he doesnt score enough goals for me but Smith has said he has been helping out the midfeild this season. So if there saying no £5.5mil i cant see anyone getting him for £6mill like the papers are saying. We will wait and see.

I don't think he's worth anything more than 5.5 mill and I don't think Leeds will get much more than that for him.

I don't like this :( His first loyalty should be to Man Utd and it won't be.
    Ah well

Originally posted by PHB
    His first loyalty should be to Man Utd and it won't be.

He is a Leeds player so thats where his first loyalty lies :D

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Originally posted by seansouth
    He's not wanted.

Hahahaha, I love that attitude, as if whether or not you want him there makes a damn bit of difference :rolleyes:

http://www.football365.com/news/story_110376.shtml

Exactly Muck, and its not like Ferdinand or Cantona, cause they havn't been leeds fan since they were 2 :)

Smith hasn't developed enough to be considered totally professional,
    but we'll see what Fergie does.

Hope he doesn't get his game ahead of Saha, that would be stupid.
    I think if he goes to United, he will be a super-sub

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

From www.bbc.co.uk/sport
    Liverpool join Smith chase

Liverpool have emerged as a rival to Manchester United for the signature of Leeds striker Alan Smith.

The Anfield club are looking for a replacement for Emile Heskey, who joined Birmingham on Thursday.

And they reportedly opened talks with Smith after United had bids of £3.5m and £5.5m turned down on Thursday.

I presume Cisse is on the way in the next week or two so what the point of Smith joining? More speculative crap from Smiths agent prolly...

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭jonno

Ged is supposed to be a big fan of Smith's. TBH I would bring him in and sell Baros. Baros is a good footballer but he can't score.

Originally posted by mike65
    I presume Cisse is on the way in the next week or two so what the point of Smith joining? More speculative crap from Smiths agent prolly...

Mike.

Maybe Gerrard will play him in the centre of defence :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

I would bring him in and keep Baros, there is no need to play him in all games this season and he would be a great asset when injuries kick in as they have been doing recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭crowl

I think Liverpool should concentrate on getting Steven Gerrard's replacement for when he moves to united :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

OMG :eek:

Everton make Smith bid
    from the bbc
    Leeds director Peter Lorimer said: "We've had lots of bids for Alan, the latest being around £7m from Everton.

Originally posted by Johnny_the_fox
    OMG :eek:

Everton make Smith bid

Perfect for Leeds, they want a bidding war to drive the player's price up. United should state their intentions now and not let this one drag on all summer (again!).

• Advertisement

You would wonder how much more the likes of everton could afford tho....unless there is plans to let other players go, maybe they want a garunteed proven player in before they let other players go....Id say hell end up at united tho

Or maybe Fergie and Moyes have come to a deal, where United stop bidding for Smith, let Everton have him, and United get Rooney from Everton.

Or maybe not.

edit://typo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Bannor

Originally posted by jonno
    Ged is supposed to be a big fan of Smith's. TBH I would bring him in and sell Baros. Baros is a good footballer but he can't score.
    From what I've heard, Houllier is going all out next season for the league. He feels he has the players who will get results against the big teams but it's the smaller games are the problem so he plans to have players in the squad who will scrap to get the results - Joey Barton and Alan Smith certainly meet the criteria.

Cisse will be joining the club on July 1st for an initial fee of £7.5M. The remainder of the fee is based on appearances, goals and the performance of the club.

Baros and his agent have been told to find him another club or the club will find one for him. There's a rumour that he has been offered to Valencia in part exchange for the midfielder Baraja but no fee has been mentioned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Smith could be a good signing for us (everton)... him and rooney up-front could be a very lucrative partnership... both fast enough players and rooney is strong...

the only downside i could see from it would be his discipline... he nothing but a mouthpiece and gets booked and sent off too many times for that offence...

it will be interesting to see how it works out...

moyes could be using some players in some sort of swap deal... as far as i know, simonsen, evertons sub goalie is going to leeds, but he is out of contract i think...

anyway... we'll wait and see what happens..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

http://www.breakingnews.ie/story.asp?j=129478920&p=yz947979z&n=129479798&x=
    Leeds’ board today insisted they have not received an official bid from Everton for Alan Smith.

One of the club’s directors, former player Peter Lorimer, was reported this morning to have revealed that the Merseyside club had bid £7m (€10.4m) for the striker.

Smith’s preferred destination is Manchester United, who earlier this week had two bids of £3.5m (€5.2m) and £5.5m (€8.2m) rejected.

Lorimer told BBC Radio Leeds: “We’ve had lots of bids for Alan, the latest being around £7m (€10.4m) from Everton.”

However, a Leeds spokesman said this afternoon: “We have not yet received any offer from Everton.”

And Lorimer added this afternoon: “Smith’s agent has indicated Alan’s preferred choice is Old Trafford, but they have to up their bid.”
    Seems like they're trying to get United back in the race.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Bannor

Cisse will be joining the club on July 1st for an initial fee of £7.5M. The remainder of the fee is based on appearances, goals and the performance of the club.

The indo says today £13m, so is it £7.5m and then and extra £5.5m based on performance? That's a bargin if it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/l/leeds_united/3723993.stm
    Everton have stepped up the pace in the race to sign Alan Smith with a £7m bid for the Leeds striker.
    Toffees boss David Moyes confirmed the Merseysiders have made a "substantial offer" for Smith, despite their apparent tight finances.

Moyes said: "My hope is to partner Alan Smith and Wayne Rooney in my Everton team next season."

Leeds have already turned down bids of £3.5m and £5.5m from Manchester United for Smith, who they value at £10m.

Everton chairman Bill Kenwright underlined their enthusiasm to bring Smith to Goodison Park.

Kenwright told Everton's website: "David and I have been discussing Alan Smith's situation at Leeds for two weeks.

"I can confirm that in the last 24 hours we have had contact with those involved in the hope that Alan Smith might be an Everton player next season."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Bannor

Originally posted by SteM
    The indo says today £13m, so is it £7.5m and then and extra £5.5m based on performance? That's a bargin if it is.
    Something like that. I've been told the intial fee is £7.5M. The remainder of the fee is based on 3 things - league appearances, league goals and the club's league performance - each commanding a certain fee. I haven't found out what the total potential fee is, but it isn't the £14M which has always been reported in the press.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

SMITH WON'T GO TO EVERTON... HE HAS ASPIRATIONS TO BE SUCCESSFUL!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Harry2001

Peter Lorimer says Leeds "not that far away" from selling striker Alan Smith to arch-rivals Manchester United for £8million

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/story_get.dor?STORY_NAME=soccer/04/05/21/manual_083414.html

Smith is going to be Mr Popular in Leeds :rolleyes:

Originally posted by seansouth
    He's not wanted.

Is he more wanted now Sean .....seeing as yiz have spent the money already and all ?

M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

I am delighted at the prospect of Alan Smith joining united. The Premiership is the most physical league in the world and players need to be able to deal with that . Smith is well capable of doing so. He has matured and learned to deal with the physical stuff without getting in trouble, If he wants to play for his country he has to continue his good dicipline of late and produce the goods at United.
    I think he is one of the best young strikers in England and If they get him for the same money they paid for Diego that has to be a good deal for united.

The only thing I would be sceptical about is the fact that he is a Leeds Fan through and though and I hope his decision to join United is not purly a financial one. I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt as I think he has the same temprement as Keano and will give his all for whatever team he plays. At 7 million United are in a no lose situation as they will easily recoup that for such a young quality player after a season if things don,t work out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,064 ✭✭✭BKtje

Prospect? I thought it was a done deal. I even thought he'd already trained once with Man u.

Advertisement