Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Is A Good Way To Get Into Radio?

Options
  • 18-05-2004 10:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I just want to see what you all think as your opinions, from those in the radio presenting business, or those who want to be so.

I ask because I want to be so! I had a 2 year stint on CKR FM up till it closed down, co-presenting and co-researching Whacky Saturday with my friend Vincent O'Sullivan almost every Saturday, for those 2 years. I didn't get paid, and I didn't care, it was fun, and I got hands-on experience mostly live in studio (in Naas).

So, if I wanted to take this experience further (cv's anyone?), how would I do it? Anyone looking for a radio jock who might be interested, or not - and can give a hint or two?

Thanks all,

Seanie.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Hi Seanie

It really depends on what your ambitions are. If you are interested in broadcating as a career your best bet is to get some qualifications behind you to go with that experience. Cholaiste Dualigh and Rathmines College both do excellent courses. The experience you have will be an advantage when applying for these as there is a demand but you would also need certain academic qualifications too. Be careful of privately run courses as from my experience some of the are a total waste of money and time.

If you are just interest in doing what you did on CKR and making it your hobby unless you are prepared to travel then you options are limited to whatever local stations there are. I assum you are in the kildare area and I dont know whats happening in the Pirate scene down there but you have very few options for legal stations.

If you were willing to travel to Dublin you would have the options of the Hospital Stations {The Mater/Beaumont/St. Ita's },and Community Stations, NEAR FM in Coolock being the best of them. They run a training course in conjunction with Choilaiste Dulaigh and have plans to run a TV station as well. They are actually holding an open day this weekend AFAIK .

If music is your thing the community stations may not be for you as they are mostly talked based and the music shows on them ae fairly established and might be hard to get. The nearest Hospital station to you is the Mater, Paul Leddin is the man in charge there If you are interested you should write to him. If your going to try The Fm104s and 98FMs put together a demo tape but be prepared for rejection, lots of these hit the bin without even being heard.

the best of luck with whatever you decide

Tom

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

Thanks Tom,

I would like to take it as a career alright. I think it would be fun. And I'd be willing to travel.
    I am actually living in Tyrrellspass, and before that, Maynooth, and I travelled from here to get to Naas, or wherever an outside broadcast was going to be, sometimes as far away as Carlow town or Athy!

Thanks for the course info, its something I didn't think there was demand for apart from Kairos Communications (in Maynooth). Its something I will look into.

And yes, I've done a few demos, which obviously were not any good as I got no replies! But, as you say, I am ready for rejection, and I just got to improve techniques et all!

Cheers Tom,

Seanie.

Advertisement