Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

paypal

Options
  • 18-05-2004 10:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭

how the hrll does this work some one in usa wants me to pay through this ??? do you need a credit card fo it ???

thanks paddy

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 468 ✭✭trap4

Yes, you need a credit card to open up an account with them. Check out www.Paypal.com

I use it as one payment option in my business and it seems popular with American customers in particular. To overly simplify it's a way of sending and receiving money with your email.

As part of eBay they have now setup office in Dublin (AFAIK) which is reassuring even though I think you still cannot withdraw funds to an Irish bank account. But I'd imagine that should be rectified very soon.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
    -Jim.
    http://eirepreneur.blogs.com

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by trap4

As part of eBay they have now setup office in Dublin (AFAIK) which is reassuring even though I think you still cannot withdraw funds to an Irish bank account. But I'd imagine that should be rectified very soon.

[/url]

Yeah right. They've been saying they're trying to make withdrawals available to Irish bank customers for YEARS and there's been no progress on the matter. Sounds to me like the banks are causing the hold ups.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,811 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

TAKEN FROM THE PAYPAL WEBSITE TODAY - AT LAST!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bank Account Withdrawal for Ireland

Notice Date: July 1, 2004
    Effective Date: August 6, 2004
    Beginning August 6, 2004, PayPal will enable members in Ireland to withdraw funds from their PayPal account to a local bank account.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Good stuff. You don't happen to work for Paypal or eBay, eh podgeandrodge? :)

lol, no, but as of only last week, i emailed the press officer of paypal complaining like a mad man about this and was told "it would take time".. looks like the press officer didnt even know about this impending facility!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭nahdoic

where does it say that on the paypal website?

you will have to log in to paypal first , then on the first screen you get to after login, on the left hand side you will see "policy updates" then you can scroll down to the bit i quoted

regards

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭nahdoic

Excellent :D

Nice find. This is so long overdue.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 468 ✭✭trap4

Great! That should simplify the company accounts somewhat - I had a terrible time trying to explain where this portion of our revenue was to my accountant last year ;-)

-Jim.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

At least :o I can finally turn that $12 in my acccount into real cash :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

At least :o I can finally turn that $12 in my acccount into real cash :D

unless there is a USD 12 transfer fee :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

I transfered money from my paypal account into my bank yesterday,says it takes 5 to 7 working days but id imagine it will be quicker than that (i hope) ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

It took about 5 business days for me on average, with AIB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Only thing: the site paypalsucks.com warns:
    According to PayPal accepting their ToS (Terms of Service) in effect means you waive your rights to credit card consumer protection laws if you want to use their service, and that you may not issue a chargeback for unauthorized use of your credit card and PayPal account, or if you do, then they have the right to limit your account. Is this legal? We don't know. But it's how Paypal operates.

I'm making a site to offer my services, and am rather worried by this. People advise me "Just use cash or international money orders" - but I'd feel happier with a site that would take the payment for a job and hold it in escrow until the job was completed to the satisfaction of both parties, as I understand PayPal does.

But the horror stories on paypalsucks.com make me very nervous. And the idea that I would waive protection of my credit card account is *not* one I like.

Any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 31 abington

Been using paypal for over a year now and its been gr8 for me so far.. Its the easiest way to send money.. Just my two cents worth

• Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭Ancient1

Sorry to drag up an old thread - think it's better than starting a new one.

I just opened a paypal account and have a few questions.

Paypal states that you cannot receive payment via credit card on the personal account (which is free), but the table which displays their fees says that it's free to receive funds. What's the deal there?

http://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_display-fees-outside

I'm only interested in small transactions, ie. buying CDs etc on Ebay (and perhaps selling the odd one in the future). I understand i can send money / pay via my credit card, but if i were to sell a CD, for example, would i have to:
    a) open a separate seller's account
    b) upgrade to premium, which allows me to receive payment by credit card?

What about buying goods from outside the EU - i dont have to pay duty and VAT if it's a used item, for example, do I?

I'd appreciate any explanations - in layman's terms :)

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Philbert

trap4 wrote:
    I think you still cannot withdraw funds to an Irish bank account. But I'd imagine that should be rectified very soon.
    Without a doubt you can. Have done it a few times now. Can take anywhere between 3 and 5 working days. Cost is €1.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Just a bit of a warning about Paypal.

I only recently started using Ebay and opened a paypal account.

Bought a couple of things no problem paid with paypal and then had a problem with a purchase - bought a hi fi thing that did not work and the seller started acting the b****x.

I rang my credit card company for advice - they said submit the documentation and when I did (with loads of details photograph etc) they did a chargeback in a day or two.

On Ist March I got an email from Paypal:
    Dear xxxxxx,
    We were recently notified that you initiated a chargeback through your
    credit card company for the following transaction:
    Seller's Name:n
    Seller's Email: n
    Transaction Date: Jan 16, 2005
    Transaction Amount: xxxxxx
    Case #:

We would like to take this opportunity to let you know about a service
    available to you through PayPal. PayPal's Buyer Complaint Policy allows you
    to resolve disputes through PayPal before contacting your credit card
    company. To learn more about this helpful program, simply click the
    "Security Center" link in the footer of any PayPal page.

Since we are already working with your credit card company to resolve this
    issue, you do not need to file a Buyer Complaint for this case. In the
    future, though, please allow us to assist you by filing a Buyer Complaint
    with PayPal before initiating a chargeback with your credit card company.

This suggested to me that eveything was honky dory and that I would hear further from them in due course.

I heard nothing further until the other day when I got this email from them.
    The email was headed 'Notification of Limited Account Access'
    Dear xxxx

As part of our security measures, we regularly screen activity in the
    PayPal system.
    We recently noticed the following issue on your account:

You recently requested a chargeback (payment reversal) through your credit card's issuing bank on a payment made using PayPal. We encourage users to attempt to resolve disputes through the PayPal Buyer Protection Program before using an external chargeback program. We will honor any chargeback that our investigation determines is valid. For more information on the Buyer Protection Program, please review PayPal's User Agreement.

Case ID Number: xxxxxxxxxxxx

For your protection, we have limited access to your account until
    additional security measures can be completed. We apologize for any
    inconvenience this may cause.

When I visited my account I learned that to get my account active again I would have to pay them back the chargeback!!!!!

Now to me this raises so many issues. First there is the lie that this is a 'security matter' - the further lie "for my protection'' and the attempt to effectively get what could charitably be called an interest free loan from me for an uncertain duration.

And ironically enough the day after I got this email I received an email from the guy I bought the item from saying that Paypal had found in my favour and asked that I give him details of the cost of returning the faulty goods and the would forward the amount to me.

I intend approaching IFSRA about this shower as they are nothing more than a pack of liars based on the emails they have sent me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

I transfer from my Paypal AC to my TSB bi-weekly with no issues.

paypal aint perfect, but it is handy!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

I've used paypals internal complaints procedures twice, and it resolved the problem fine both times.

Chargebacks are meant to be a method of last resort, dub45.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Moriarty wrote:
    I've used paypals internal complaints procedures twice, and it resolved the problem fine both times.

Chargebacks are meant to be a method of last resort, dub45.

Good for you.

Advertisement