Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disconnect DSL line

Options
  • 18-05-2004 10:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭

Hi,

I've had DSL for around 14 months and its now time to move house. I'm moving where DSL does not exist so no hope of a transfer.

I rang Netsource and of course they mentioned two months notice and 75 euro charge (none of which was mentioned when I spoke to them about this back in February).

I'm now wondering if I just ring Eircom to disconnect the line (and not cancel with Netsource) would that get me around this extra 75 euro? I have to get it disconnected anyway as it is in my name.

Any thoughts?

/Zith

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I don't think so.

Netsource don't provide the phone line, they provide you with the service, so any talk of "disconnection" means "disconnection from the service". So if you cancel your phone line, there are two scenarios:

a) Netsource will still provide the service, even though there is no line to run it over. You still have to pay to disconnect from the service, and ensure you notify netsource, or you're liable to pay for a service that you can't receive for as many months until you cancel it.

b) Netsource will automatically disconnect you when the line is removed, but you'll have to pay the €75 disconnection plus the service subscription for the two month's notice you didn't take.

Read your terms and conditions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

If you are reasonable, perhaps they will give you a discount, or just bill for the cancellation fee (they are passing that on from Eircom) and not the extra 2 months. After all, you have been a customer for well over a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Zith

Well my terms and conditions said nothing about 75 euro disconnection when I signed up. I can understand paying the two months that doesn't bother me.

And yes I know the T&Cs probably says the conditions can be changed at any time....

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Zith

Originally posted by Urban Weigl
    If you are reasonable, perhaps they will give you a discount, or just bill for the cancellation fee (they are passing that on from Eircom) and not the extra 2 months. After all, you have been a customer for well over a year.

I will do my best to be reasonable! No point getting mad at drones :)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,782 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

If you agree to take up DSL with them at your new home, they might agree to wave any charges.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

No they won't.

I investigated this with them and they were charging full disconnection fee and setup charges as below.

"In reference to the cancellation, if you are cancelling services altogether,
    I can accept the cancellation notice in writing by either fax or email. The
    cancellation notice period is 2 months, there is a disconnection fee of 75
    euro. If you are moving services with Netsource, there will be no need for
    the cancellation notice period as long as you have signed an order for the
    new premises, there will still be a disconnection fee of 75 euro and a
    reconnect fee of 81.81 euro."

Oh by the way the figures above exclude VAT which will be charged as well of course (and can of course be reclaimed if you are a business).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

I wouldn't have a problem paying a reconnection fee but asking you to pay a disconnection fee and then another fee to have dsl hooked up at your new address is just taking the piss! That's really bad customer service I have to say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by eth0_
    I wouldn't have a problem paying a reconnection fee but asking you to pay a disconnection fee and then another fee to have dsl hooked up at your new address is just taking the piss! That's really bad customer service I have to say
    They're not Netsources fees- Netsource have to pay eircom €75 to disconnect your existing line, and then pay another connection fee to get you hooked up at your new address. Netsource are just passing that charge on - you'd hardly expect them to "eat" the equivalent of 3 or 4 months service charge, would you?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,782 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Originally posted by Ripwave
    They're not Netsources fees- Netsource have to pay eircom €75 to disconnect your existing line, and then pay another connection fee to get you hooked up at your new address. Netsource are just passing that charge on - you'd hardly expect them to "eat" the equivalent of 3 or 4 months service charge, would you?

Actually, no they don't, if they are only tranfering you, then a port transfer should be sufficient and would cost only e75, as in one charge instead of two. But it seems this is just too much trouble for NS.

Also most other providers do in fact "eat" this charge, if you agree to sign up for another 12 months.

That is why I don't like NS, it is all their hidden charges, Esat seem to be far more customer friendly with regards to these sort of circumstances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by bk
    Actually, no they don't, if they are only tranfering you, then a port transfer should be sufficient and would cost only e75, as in one charge instead of two.
    If you're moving within an exchange, maybe. If you're moving house, and you're being connected to another exchange, eircom are going to charge a seperate connection and disconnection fee.
    Also most other providers do in fact "eat" this charge, if you agree to sign up for another 12 months.
    Nonsense. And the main reason people pay extra for Netsource in the first place is because they don't want a 12 months contract!

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Ripwave
    Nonsense. And the main reason people pay extra for Netsource in the first place is because they don't want a 12 months contract!

I know of UTV and IOL customers who where moved no problem.

BTW the 2 month contract only applies to the more expensive product, the entry level product has a 12 month contract.

Also NS charge you quarterly, so it is really a 3 month contract.

And if you want to downgrade you have to pay e50 Excl VAT (while Eircom only charge e15 wholesale), it is all these hidden charges that are making me hate NS. I wish I had gone with Esat. As soon as port transfering is working, I'm off to IOL.

Advertisement