Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

I want a Harley

Options
  • 18-05-2004 11:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭

Right i want a bike. I have been driving for 16 years now and am fed up with traffic. I used to have a moped many moons ago. Now I just have your standard B licence. I am 35 what info would anybody have regarding the best place to buy one, insurance at my age considering I only have a car licence etc

No comments please about a mid life crisis, am getting enough jibes from the wife ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,381 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

If the main use is for commuting, I'd get something a bit smaller - a Harley is nearly as big as a small car ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

I understand your point, but it is also for Sunday afternoon jaunts down the country etc

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭jackal

Harleys Suck!

Look, unless you want to spend 90% of your time polishing, and or fixing the damn thing, a harley is a waste of money. They are way overpriced, and you will get burned by a good 125cc bike. A harley does not make a good commuter, as it is so wide, you wont be able to filter through traffic and get one of the best benifits of bikes. It is not reliable - hardly what you want from a commuter. Neither does it make a good sunday spin machine - bad handling, underpowered, anyone that doesent ride a harley will think you are a *& £$_*!

have a look at this site: http://www.goingfaster.com/angst/main.htm

Seriously, if you have your heart set on a cruiser, the Japanese manufacturers all make a few excellent models. They look good, they are reliable, they wont require a re-mortgage on your house, and some of them even perform half decently.

Otherwise, get a naked sportsbike!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by Pataman
    No comments please about a mid life crisis, am getting enough jibes from the wife ;)
    Fair enough, just remember the safety risks.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭a_ominous

@Pataman: you won't be able to go for a Hardley Davidson until 2 years after you've obtained a full A licence. Too much power. If you're still interested, you'll need to do a theory test (I assume you've had the full licence > 5 years)

Next read the FAQ

Get out to a few bike shops, try a few bikes get quotes for insurance. This _will_ shock you; my bike insurance is more than the car and your choice is limited to 2 companies.

FWIW, I started biking at a similar age.

One thing that might help you out is a 2 hour lesson with ISM. For 70 yoyos, you can try out a bike in a yard and see if you're still interested. But you'll need your provisional licence before you can do that. Theory test waiting period of about 1 month. You can apply for provisional licence one you pass the test. REceipt for licence application is good enough for ISM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

A harley? Do you like standing on the side of the road or something? Get something far cheaper and far more reliable. (You could even get a cheap & reliable jap bike that looks like a harley if you're that mad for one)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭Haket

A modern Harley is not nearly as bad as many think. If looked after (like any bike) it'll be very reliable. When compared to a typical jap cruiser, however, it will require a bit more maintenance and TLC to keep it looking good. The finish can be a little fragile in places.

It makes a poor commuter though, too big, too slow and too expensive, IMHO if you can afford a HD and are stuck on a cruiser then buy a BMW (the R1100C I think), or one of the monster jap models out this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

Yeas the 'ol R1100C is nice alright. Not too long, not too wide, very comfy (the pillion seat doubling as a drivers backrest is genius) and it looks the business.

Either that or a drag star 1100 classic or wild star 1600. I think theyre all in & around the same price bracket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 gwladys boy

if you want a nice harley, look no further than a v rod..........

instant street cred!

period

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭jackal

True,
    but at what price? Are they even being sold in Ireland yet?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭the evil belly

Originally posted by a_ominous
    @Pataman: you won't be able to go for a Hardley Davidson until 2 years after you've obtained a full A licence. Too much power.

i'm pretty sure that once your over 25 that restriction no longer applies. they assume that people no longer think they are immortal at that age. i'm open to correction but i'm reasonably sure i'm right

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭Haket

Nah I'm afraid your wrong, the 33hp limit applies to all regardless of age (once you are over 17 anyway). The old 25yr+ rule was abandoned in 2000.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

the evil belly: they assume that people no longer think they are immortal at that age.

That's a little naive! So once you hit 25+, you can automatically ride a motorcycle safely? Did the same rule apply to light aircraft and passenger ships? :D

Advertisement