Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best Film of all time?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭iasc

some of my fav films

hero
    leon
    kill bill
    goodfellas
    highlander
    chopper
    big lebowski

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Grom

For the love of god, Kill bill is ****. All it basically is is a rather bland remake of natural born killer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭iasc

if its so s**t how come i loved it so much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭shotamoose

Surprised nobody's mentioned this ... Lawrence of Arabia.

Partly because I love it, obviously. But also cos I've got this sense that for something to be the 'best' it should be unrepeatable. And I think LoA pretty much is. Sure someone could still make a four hour film set in the desert, but they wouldn't use actual people for all those shots of twenty guys on camels ten miles away, they'd just computer generate them. And we'd know they were computer generated. And that wouldn't be as good.

Apart from that, I think it does perfectly what films - as opposed to any other form of entertainment - do best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭HacksawEddie

THE MATRIX !!!!

but i'm hoping that come this wkend, my new #1 will be
    the the day after tomorrow (not, not wednesday!)
    (please please please be as good as i think you are!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 spoungey

Terminator 2, there's something about that film. It's been my favourite about 8 years now :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭fragile

Originally posted by Grom
    For the love of god, Kill bill is ****. All it basically is is a rather bland remake of natural born killer

its entertaining! I just saw Troy in the cinema and to be honest there was many moments in the film when I was just looking around the cinema in complete boredom, when I saw Kill Bill I was glued to the screen for the entire film...

good or bad, the most important thing is that a film is least entertaining....

T2 will always be a classic! the bike chase scene and robert patrick's t1000 was just out of this world..still is!
    i wanna stop studying and watch that on dvd now, thanks a lot spoungey!!! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭lodgepole

Originally posted by Grom

As in the Tarantino/Stone picture?? How'd you figure it was a remake of that? Given that they're completely different...

• Advertisement

Kill Bill is a rip off of numerous Japenese revenge films. Lady Snowblood, Zaoitchi, Barbycart. In fact Tarintino lifts entire scenes from these and many other films. Tarintino is an overrated hack with a talent for plagerism and not being able to admit it.

The Natural Born Killers that we saw on screen bears no relation to Tarintinos script. His script was basically Badlands rewritten with a lot of obscene language.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Saving Private Ryan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

1; Citizen Kane

2; Ben Hur

3; It's a Wonderful Life

4; Lawrence of Arabia

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The Shawshank redemption - what is all the fuss about - it's good but not great - if you've ever watched birdman of alcatraz or some of Clint Eastwood's prison films or indeed any of the classic prison films you will realise just how unoriginal so many scenes are - if you only watch one prison film watch it, otherwise...

Delicatessen.
    Yojimbo.
    The Good, the Bad and the Ugly.
    Bad Taste (taking budget into account would make it #1)

a wee bit harsh, but i see where ur comin from
    i do have to say, tim robbins wise, the player is a better movie than shawshank.
    its not the best movie of all time, but its prob in my top 10, blew me away when i saw it first, and i guarantee you will never see another movie in ur life with as any a-list actors in it, the list is bloody endless!

WATCH IT!

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭logonmar

Close Encounters of the Third Kind

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭girella

fear and loathing in las vegas
    natural born killers
    pulp fiction
    reservoir dogs
    the boondock saints

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭joe_chicken

Originally posted by Capt'n Midnight
    The Shawshank redemption - what is all the fuss about - it's good but not great - if you've ever watched birdman of alcatraz or some of Clint Eastwood's prison films or indeed any of the classic prison films you will realise just how unoriginal so many scenes are - if you only watch one prison film watch it, otherwise...

Delicatessen.
    Yojimbo.
    The Good, the Bad and the Ugly.
    Bad Taste (taking budget into account would make it #1)

theres no doubt that shawshank borrows heavily from birdman, but as a whole film shawshank is better (IMHO).

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon yet..

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Originally posted by fragile
    I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon yet..
    I think you'll find it's got a couple of mentions in the worst film thread ;)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

armageddon

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,945 ✭✭✭BEAT

well,
    until the Lord Of The Rings was made I was sure the all time best movie ever was
    ******The Godfather saga*******

But now that L O T R has been made....it is very clear. They both offer different qualities and I would pick both triologies if I could but if I had to make a choice it would be LOTR.

that's a trilogy not a film

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,945 ✭✭✭BEAT

yes it is, how observant of you :rolleyes:
    it is still my favorite ;)

you're in the wrong thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Donnie Darko

looking forward to seeing the directors cut in the cinema:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

Originally posted by The Real B-man
    some of mine not in any order:

happy gilmore
    wrong turn
    blair witch project 1&2
    last acrion hero

Best film's ever :eek: You need to get out more.

crouching tiger in the world film thread? :eek: :eek:
    how is that possible...its a fantastic martial arts movie!!!
    i am bewildered
    :confused:

Originally posted by ixoy
    I think you'll find it's got a couple of mentions in the worst film thread ;)

Am I missing something here :confused:

besides, what is the point of a worst fim thread, I mean the amount of candidates is overwhelming, whereas the amount of candidates for best film can easily be narrowed down to a handful by the average individual..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭EpYon

lads cum on KILL BILL Vol 2 .....WHAT A movie just listen and think about the wat bill compares her to superman .tarinteno is a mad man !!!! no one esle could of done sumtine like that !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭MidnightQueen

American Pie 3: Absolutely hilarious! :D
    Pearl Harbour: My favourite film
    Bad Boyz 2: Funny

Theres another one but cant think of the name! Ahhhhh :(

• Advertisement

Originally posted by fragile
    Am I missing something here :confused:

besides, what is the point of a worst fim thread, I mean the amount of candidates is overwhelming, whereas the amount of candidates for best film can easily be narrowed down to a handful by the average individual..
    they are both completely pointless

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭EpYon

get over it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Nominations for best film

Bravehear
    Passion of Christ
    forrest Gump
    shindlers list
    A night to remember
    ben hur

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

the matrix

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭Space Coyote

My all-time favourite :
    The Matrix 1

Others:
    Godfather II
    Goodfellas
    The Big Lebowski
    True Romance
    Battle Royale
    Aliens
    The Sting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

"Citizen Kane" is by far the best/most important film of all time.

Any (any!) movie you watch in the last 60 years copies some aspect that Welles established with Kane. He practically invented modern cinema style with the movie.

On the other hand the Shawshank Redemption is by far the most over rated movie ever!!!! I am constantly amazed that people continue to call this the best movie of all time. He tunnels through the f**king wall for christ sake! Feel good Hollywood crap, right up there with Titanic for being totally ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭lodgepole

Originally posted by Wicknight
    "Citizen Kane" is by far the best/most important film of all time.

I'd say it shares that title with a few other films... Battleship Potemkin and Birth of a Nation in particular. It's incredible how entertaining Kane still is though, it hasn't aged as badly as a lot of other stuff from the same era.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 24 GameBeaker000

Ghostbusters. 'Nuff said. You can't argue with lame special effects and ghosts that looked... Well, it's not about the look. It's about slamming the sequel. I think.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,832 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Wow, some serious thread bumping there!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement